I think Knoppix uses the "b44" module to support my Broadcom 440 NIC. Anyway, Knoppix has no problems using the 440 for eth0. I am new to Linux, so I have tried several Live CD distros, Knoppix, Mepis, PCLinuxOS, Slax, Suse, Peanut, DamnSmall, Feather and Puppy. All support the Broadcom 440 with no problems. (I am not sure if all use the "b44" module.) I have installed all of these distros to my HD and I manage booting with the Lilo boot manager.

I like Knoppix, so I thought it might be interesting to install a "real" distro such as Debian v3.0 r5. What a nightmare! USB mouse wouldn't work, no drivers for my Nvidia video adapter, X Window configuration, etc. Anyway, I finally got a working installation only to find no support for the Broadcom 440 NIC.

I know this is a Knoppix forum, but I haven't found a good Debian forum, so here is the question. Is there some way to "transplant" the Knoppix "b44" module to Debian? Or does anyone have a suggestion for getting support for the Broadcom 440 NIC installed in my Debian system?

Thanks, jimbo