View Poll Results: anybody else frustrated?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 50.00%
  • no

11 50.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ABOUT TO GIVE UP!!!!!

Senior Member registered user
    Yah, linux is frustrating to learn at first. There's so much you can do with it and its infinitely customizable. Knoppix is a great distribution to get started with. No commitment, excellent foundation (Debian, apt-get), friendly community. Sure you've got to install libdvdcss and break US copyright laws yourself if you choose to, and setup a few things initially so you have permission to do what you want. It's worth it in the long run.

and i just love you guys, thanx

Why most people use Microsoft Windows one reason is that Bill is great businesman, most of people arent able to sell their products so well. People buy it despite they can get Op Sys freely.
    Second reason is that in Windows is beginner friendly. I have try get my laptop wifi card work about 3 weeks using Knoppix, i have try 3.7; 3.9; 4.0 versions and i ahve try do same thing with Mandriva 10.1, Slackware 9.0 Suse 9.2 even DSL 1.4. and no success. I am total newbie i have read many forums many FAQ and Manuals.
    But i am samekind newbie in windows i afraid that using Windows XP its more difficult to start wifi connection but i was wrong it start work after 10 min. So why Linux is waste of time if i try to do something 3 weeks !!!!!!!!!! and no luck and with Windows same thing take about 10 min. Im sorry but to me MS Windows leads 1:0.
    And my wifi card is Asus WL-107g it has Linux drivers even on manufacturer cd.

Hi,

I'm very new to Linux and to Knoppix. I've installed Linux before, and quite frankly loved it. I've got questions, but I'll ask them either in a different thread or after this post.

I'm not going to get into MS bashing here, although I have pretty strong feelings about MS.

When I installed Linux previously, it wasn't that Linux couldn't do what I wanted. I think it's quite obvious you can do anything you want with Linux. It was that I didn't spend the time to learn the OS. Yes, it's new. Yes I have certain packages that I HAVE to use which only support Windows. But that's not a problem if you use a windows emulator within Linux. I haven't learned how to install or use one yet but that is just a matter of time.

To answer the previous post, regarding wifi, I loaded a live DVD of Ubuntu 7 a few days ago (I think it's 7) and I'm running wifi as we speak. I didn't even wonder whether it was going to work. It just did. Having said that, I have a live CD of Knoppix 3.3 which I also ran the other day and it didn't even look like I had any connectivity. That's not the fault of the OS. Do some reading. Work out what does work. Ask some questions. OR, go back to the lazy ways of Windows...and be controlled by the OS rather than controlling it.

What seems to get to me, the most, is, that everyone seems to compare Windows and Linux, as if they are the same; like an apple to an apple, or an orange to a orange, kind of thing... Linux is to Windows, or Windows is to Linux, as, an apple is to an orange, or, a grapefruit is to a watermellon.

Other than the most obvious, both ARE Operating Systems, yes, but, that is about the only likeness. One is more popular, one has tons of available software, make for it, either by "paying" them to create it for it, or, hardware, that is designed specifically for it, because of either it being a "large" pool of people using it, or, money is "piped" into the hardware manufacturers to ensure that it is made for that OS. Whereas, the other OS, has to deal with volunteers to develop for it, or work out ways to re-design something that works for another OS, so that it works in its OS. About the funniest thing I can think of is, what if the tables were reversed? Would Microsoft be where Linux is today? Would Linux be where Microsoft is today? As in the case of "natural wild life survival", not just the strongest survive, but, rather, the one than can trick, steal, have a lot of "vulturistic" tendancies. In the world of "big business", and corporate hierarchies, it isnt always the person on the top, but, the person who can watch there back, and at the same time, watch where they are going, who get ahead. Which is not always the better, or the best, of the market, just the one who can "sell" better, or "steal" better, or, make there product more "visible" to the public. If the amount of money, that has been poured into M$ products, hardware and software, was placed into Linux, I am quite sure the market would look a lot different, than it does right now.

As for the "problems" that seem to plague Linux, no support for this, or, I cant run that, stuff, my best thinking is... Wait... or design yourself... Linux is gaining strides in popularity, and, sooner or later, if it keeps growing as it is, a lot more things will work with Linux, but, until then, I guess, the easiest way to say this is... Live with it, or go back to Windows. I have been running Linux since my membership was started here... At that time, I removed all M$ products, hardware and software, OS, etc... and have only run Linux on my systems. True, I cant walk down the software aisle at the computer store, and buy the newest games for Linux, sure, but, I live with that. I dont have "much" new hardware, or software, that I havent been able to use in Linux, but, then again, I am not running a "cutting edge" hardware computer - unless you want to bring up the subject that I am running a AMD 64 bit, power shifting gigahertz processor, and Linux was the first to be able to handle it. I can also mention that I havent had to run viri sig updates, I havent been infected since I installed Linux by any trojan or viri, and I havent had to download tons of "microsoft security updates" to patch the previous security holes, only to find, they have either added more, or not covered the holes enough...

Linux is new, Linux is different, yes... But, I guess, if I was going to make a sentence that should pop up when you decide to install any Linux OS, it would have to be this: Thank you for installing Linux, oh, by the way, you will now become very intimate with your hardware, to include knowing the chipsets of your devices. You will have to research a lot, you will have to fix your own problems, you will have to find your own answers, now. The training wheels have now been taken off of your computer! -=- So, if you decide to install Linux, you are either going to be having some major accidents, or you're going to be riding off into the sunset, without any problems, your choice... Not everyone makes this change as easy, some take some nasty falls first, some just "take to it like a fish to water" kind of thing, but, I dont think anyone can say, that, they got over the hurdles unscathed, just some more than others. I've had my share of blown installs, re-installs, hosed installs, bad installs, messed up apt-get's, etc... It comes with the teritory, I guess... I can still say, myself, that Linux is better than Microsoft, because Linux works for me, and I have put the time in, to learn what I need, what I dont know, and what I should know... I still have a lot to learn, but, I get by... I would never go back to Windows, and that is saying a lot, considering the money being dumped into research and development for M$, for the sheer amount of "stuff" being introduced for M$ OS's, either in the games, productivity, hardware, software, etc...

I like having control over my system, and, after getting used to not having the training wheels, I like not having them...

Just my thoughts,
    Ms. Cuddles
    PS - mdsmedia, I would suggest NOT hijacking this thread for your questions, but, rather, make a seperate post... Chances are, if you want an answer, adding to the bottom of this "very" long thread, is not going to get as big a response, as a seperate posting. Be sure to give a good subject for your post, something that explains the body of your post, give as much details in your post. If the problem is dealing with hardware, give as much information about the hardware, as you can. Include error messages, if possible. If its configuration issues, ALWAYS, be sure you include what version of what Linux you are running, it helps! e.g. I am running "Knoppix v3.4" "hard drive installed" or "running off the Live CD" - stuff...

If your problem is with a ASUS WiFi model xxyy card, you could use most of that in the subject of your post, and include more details in your post, like what you have tried, any errors, the version of Knoppix you are running, and if it installed or running just from the Live CD... kind of stuff

Hope this helps, not everyone is "born" with knowing what to do in Linux, we all have to start somewhere
    ( Ms. Cuddles )

Thanks Ms Cuddles,

I wasn't going to "hijack" this thread.......I just wanted to add my 2c worth. I enjoyed most of the posts in this thread. I think enough said.

I'm a Linux Very Newbie. So much so that the subject of this thread has given me heaps of info.

I'm GOING to make the move from Windows to Linux because I know I can. It won't be easy and I know that. But I now have the confidence I can do it.

mdsmedia,

I didnt accuse you of doing it, or that you would do it, just a better thing, to say something, you'll get better answers, I promise you... ( just wanted to point that out )

If you put your mind to it, you can do it. Linux isnt that bad, getting around, and doing things, is different, but, a lot of resources are available to help, anyone, transition over to Linux...

As for Knoppix,
    *** You have these forums
    *** You have the FAQs
    *** You have the WiKi
    *** You have the chat channel - irc.freenode.net;6667 - #knoppix

If you opt for Kanotix,
    *** Everything above, on its own site, and the same chat, but in room #kanotix

If you go with Debian,
    *** They also have a room on the same chat, #debian

And, lastly, you have SourceForge site, and Google for stuff also...

Good luck, mdsmedia, on your transition, and learning
    Ms. Cuddles

Your 4 hours of bullshit should be 6 seconds of apt-get install libdvdcss ogle mplayer. No fair. Cuddles has lots of time to make posts into essays while I have to do homework and identify the layer of the OSI model at which a bridge operates. Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Your 4 hours of bullshit should be 6 seconds of apt-get installs ... No fair. Cuddles has lots of time to make posts into essays while I have to do homework and identify the layer of the OSI model at which a bridge operates. Hehe.
    Kowood, now, that, wasnt fair

I have the weekend to keep up on posts, and about two or three hours every morning, mostly. Besides, maybe, I was a former English Teacher in a previous life, and this is how I get back at having to correct all those essasys??? Or, maybe all that crab and lobster has gone to your head, whereas, all the cheese has gone to mine

Ms. Cuddles

Viva LA free!!!

Ok... so you want to learn Linux, or KNOPPIX (in general), but you're stuck with Microsoft's brainwashing and "plug-and-play", "Click-And-Install" BS.

First of all
    Don't post SH: that's just gonna' take up virtual space...

2nd of all;
    "Anything Free is worth Working for." Take some time, sit your a$$ down for an hour or two, however long it takes your unoperative brain to proccess RTFM. If you don't know what RTFM is, look it up on Google. I don't know why anyone would spend money on "A 9 disc set, and all the books", when #1, you can get, (My personal fav.), OS or Distro for free at Http://www.Knoppix.com

I don't have a College Degree, or even a Damn HS Degree for that fact, and I can build computers, fix them, repair them, troubleshoot them or whatever, and know HTML and can write webpages. The only way you learn is if you put your mind up to it, and if it's able to understand what you are working with. Example; would you try a free product if you knew it had side effects? What if you didn't know what he side effects were? What if it's incompatible with other products you are currently using? Always know what you are doing, or what you want to be doing, before you try anything new.

So 3rdly, and Lastly;
    I am not going to tell you exactly "How to do" Everything, because I could make a guide for people like that and they would pay for it, and i am not going to lose money when it's needed, otherwise I'd pay Microsoft. heh. So learn what you can, forget what you can't, and either move on, or move out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast