knoppixtryer wrote:

and all i ever find is some dude (or dudette) saying it is simple really just type _____ ___ _ ___ and that will do it. okay dude (or dudettet) wherre the f**ck do i type that. just anywhere and linux will magically know what i mean???!!!! wtf. i appreciate all the people who try to help, but come one man try to remember if we knew where to type this crap we wouldn't be asking! you guys who use linux all the time have to remember we don't but we want to the linux movement cannot continue without new users and frankly if we can't figure it out we will go back to what is easy to use and works: windows.

Ok knoppixtryer, boot up your knoppix live-cd, look at the icons in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Do you se the little black computer monitor icon? That is a Konsole (command line interface) icon. Click it! It opens a black window just like a "MS DOS prompt". Now you can type commands, JUST LIKE IN DOS....like "dir", "cd" (change directory), "cp" (copy). These are linux commands that work the same as they do at a dos prompt. You just have to learn a few more commands that "unique" to linux such as...su (means super user...also means root priviledges), sudo (do a command as a super user, ie root). Lets set the root password so we can do things only allowed by root (administrator):
Type this in the Konsole window you clicked on:
sudo passwd <now push enter key>
type what ever you want for the root password ( I use the word "root" as my root password....hmmm)
type the same word twice....now the root password is set!
Now if you want to double click on the File Manager program, you cant type in the root password and it will let you in!

Are you still we us knoppixtryer??? Post a reply.

Moustache