Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Linux -- A Tiny KNOPPIX?

Puppy Linux -- A Tiny KNOPPIX?

I found a terrific new Puppy Linux with an ISO of about 60 MB which reminds me of KNOPPIX, except that it is tiny, but functional like KNOPPIX, yet immensely user friendly. Puppy can be found at

http://distrowatch.com/

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distr...ns/puppylinux/

Puppy runs as a live CD, but also runs on flash, on a zip disk, on DOS / MS Windows, on various network emulators, and on the several Linux filesystems available on hard disk. Everything runs in memory, so Puppy is blazingly fast.

Senior Member registered user
    Wow, puppyLinux is cool! Ir is only about 60MB as a compressed ISO and runs in RAM. Also, if you can burn it as a multisession liveCD, all the rest of the space can be used to save your home files on the fly. You don't need an hdd or fdd, just the CD you boot with. puppyLInux even has a create your own version that makes remastering or customizing the CD very simple!

Regards,
    AJG

Member registered user
    Good Day,
    I do not know if it is still around but there was a 50MB distro called LBT ( Linux Basic Toolkit) some time last year that fit on a business card cd or the small round cds and had an unbelievable amount of very useful tools not to memntion a game or two. If it is still around it would make a good companion to Puppy.
    By My Hand ~ I remain
    Captain Cautious

Member registered user
    I've tried both Knoppix and Puppy Linux - running from live CD only, not installed to the hd. For my money Puppy is best, primarily because it is designed for a single user who runs as root. There is none of the password agony that Knoppix forces on you for no good reason. Puppy just seems to work, with a minimum of hassle. Of all the distros I've seen it's the only one I'd recommend to someone who didn't know anything about computers. I think that because of its simplified configuration it would stand the best chance of working, and when it doesn't work it would be the easiest to troubleshoot. It is ideal for learning Linux and for experts too.

The latest news on multisession Puppy is multisession DVD. Its optimum configuration is still to be determined but the basic idea of saving sessions to the DVD or CD is working very well indeed. I use a DVD+RW.

"Puppy Linux -- A Tiny KNOPPIX?" No, it i s not. Unlike Damn Small Linux, which was originally derived from KNOPPIX, Puppy was built from scratch. Try both! I couldn't conect to Internet with Puppy over ADSL, but DSL worked fine.

Member registered user
    Hi all,

Did any folk try;

LNX-BBC project
    http://lnx-bbc.org/

Is it small?
    Dos ADSL work on it?

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Quote Originally Posted by satimis
    Did any folk try;

LNX-BBC project
    http://lnx-bbc.org/

Is it small?
    Dos ADSL work on it?
    It is small, but it is old too: last release was released 1 May 2003. On www.distrowatch.com you can find many small and new distribution. DSL is one of the best for me.

puppy is great, I use it a lot, but there are a lot of things I don't like about it........
    it has to put a file on a partition labeled "pup001" by default.........default size is
    250MB, which is nice because you can save all of your settings without worrying......
    however, if you would like puppy to be your primary OS, increasing the size of pup001
    is a must......which has a max limit of about a gig (so I'm told). Now, your only other
    alternative is to install puppy to HD, which is a real problem for linux noobs like myself.

Junior Member registered user

Puppy problems...

Have been trying to get Puppy version 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 to work on my computer with very little success. There seems to be a bug in the way it handles detecting/using a USB mouse - using a Microsoft Intellimouse optical mouse and entering the requested parameters in the boot process results in a situation where the cursor will only move vertically in a somewhat jerky fashion and the mouse buttons are not registering at all. Mouse works fine with both Windows XP and Knoppix and I'm at a loss for ideas - the keyboard incidently works just fine but with no ability to point and click things don't work too well - anyone out there got any ideas?

Junior Member registered user

USB mouse problems - solved

While I'm not entirely sure why it appears that mouse types with a lot of extra bells & whistles - function keys/buttons, trackballs, etc. have the most problems. Two different, plain two button/scroll wheel type mice that I have tried work. At least I can get in and work with getting Puppy set up now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast