Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NTFS File permissions problem...

NTFS File permissions problem...

Hey guys... I'm having a time with my Windows 2003 Server.

About 2 weeks ago, I decided to play with my file permissions on a network folder, so my kids wouldn't be able to listen to "inappropriate" mp3s. Well, I've learned my lesson, but I still would like to undo the damage, if possible.

Basically, what I did (stupidly) was DENIED access to the "Everyone" group for one of my music folders. Fortunately, it only affects a few of my MP3s and not the entire collection. But I can't even delete this folder to start over. :P

Anyway, I stumbled upon Knoppix doing a Google search.

I just downloaded the latest version, and booted to it. Of course, I'm able to view these files... but what I want to do is remove the NTFS permission issues.

If I can't do that, what I'd like to do is COPY the folders to another drive that's got a FAT32 partition currently, and then go back in and DELETE the Locked folder on my NTFS drive.

If I enable NTFS write access with Knoppix... do you think I can safely DELETE the Locked folder on my NTFS drive? I have other data on here that I don't want to lose, so I didn't mess around with it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Moderator Moderator

Re: NTFS File permissions problem...

Quote Originally Posted by simkin101
    Hey guys... I'm having a time with my Windows 2003 Server.
    About 2 weeks ago, I decided to play with my file permissions on a network folder, so my kids wouldn't be able to listen to "inappropriate" mp3s. Well, I've learned my lesson, but I still would like to undo the damage, if possible.
    Basically, what I did (stupidly) was DENIED access to the "Everyone" group for one of my music folders. Fortunately, it only affects a few of my MP3s and not the entire collection. But I can't even delete this folder to start over. :P
    Anyway, I stumbled upon Knoppix doing a Google search.
    I just downloaded the latest version, and booted to it. Of course, I'm able to view these files... but what I want to do is remove the NTFS permission issues.
    If I can't do that, what I'd like to do is COPY the folders to another drive that's got a FAT32 partition currently, and then go back in and DELETE the Locked folder on my NTFS drive.
    If I enable NTFS write access with Knoppix... do you think I can safely DELETE the Locked folder on my NTFS drive? I have other data on here that I don't want to lose, so I didn't mess around with it.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    I would use the capture ntfs feature of knoppix to do that... in the knoppix menu. I didn't try the 3.8.2, but I know that the 3.7 is working fine for me. It should be safe, since it is using the windows ntfs driver to do it. Good Luck and let us know... Cheers, Gilles

If I use the Capture-NTFS feature, and ONLY use it to DELETE a folder... is there anything else I need to do to ensure that I don't have data corruption? I backed up my vital stuff, but I still don't want to lose the rest of it if I can avoid it.

Oh, and just so you know... I can't find capture-NTFS anywhere on 3.8.2. I downloaded 3.7 last night, so I'll try that when I get home from work.

Moderator Moderator
    If I use the Capture-NTFS feature, and ONLY use it to DELETE a folder... is there anything else I need to do to ensure that I don't have data corruption? I backed up my vital stuff, but I still don't want to lose the rest of it if I can avoid it.
    Oh, and just so you know... I can't find capture-NTFS anywhere on 3.8.2. I downloaded 3.7 last night, so I'll try that when I get home from work.
    I succesfully used 3.7 capture ntfs to update the the boot.ini and grldr (grub bootloader) file in the root of my xp ntfs partition. Hope this will make you feel more comfortable. Le me know... Best Regards, Gilles

Thanks a lot for the advice... I am running 3.7 now, and I see the Capture NTFS utliity on the Knoppix menu.

I'm hoping you can give me a tad more help... I was able to backup my files, but now for some reason I can't DELETE the old folder with the screwy file permissions.

I ran the Capture NTFS program and it seems to terminate during it.

Could you detail (briefly) the steps I need to take to execute this program correctly? I even tried running it from the Terminal screen, logged in as root, to no avail.

Thanks agian!

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks a lot for the advice... I am running 3.7 now, and I see the Capture NTFS utliity on the Knoppix menu.

I'm hoping you can give me a tad more help... I was able to backup my files, but now for some reason I can't DELETE the old folder with the screwy file permissions.

I ran the Capture NTFS program and it seems to terminate during it.

Could you detail (briefly) the steps I need to take to execute this program correctly? I even tried running it from the Terminal screen, logged in as root, to no avail.

Thanks agian!
    As far as I remember (I don't do it every day), The captive ntfs scipt is looking for the M* ntfs drivers, copy and install them on Linux. At the end of the script, you should have a note telling you how to proceed next to mount the ntfs partition using the newly installed M* driver from a root shell. There is some flags to be used with the mount command... If you cannot find this note at the end of the capture-ntfs scipt, I will reboot my pc with knoppix 3.7 and give you more detailed info about it... Best Regards, Gilles

I think I need more help...

I discovered one thing... I had to mount my main Windows partition, so Captive-NTFS could find the NTFS drivers.

I could see it detecting them, but then the program would just END (KILL) again after a bit.

So I ran the program again, and now it showed all the drivers without doing another search. So I skipped that first step. I skipped the next few as well, until I got to the screen where it said I could mount the partition like this:

mkdir /mnt/captive-LABEL_C
    mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/captive-LABEL_C

When I typed that, the first line would go just fine (directory created). When I typed the 2nd line, it would say:
    "Captive NTFS v1.1.5. Check a new version at: http://www.jankratochvil.net/"

And then it would just sit there... I let it sit for about 20 minutes. There was no activity on any of my drivers, so I just gave it up. I hit CTRL-C to get back to my prompt. Nada.

Oh, and just for the record... I did this all from the terminal window, and I was logged in with "su" command. I wish I could figure this out on my own, but I fear I need my hand held through the whole darn process.

I know this is probably a bump, but I have this exact problem and I really need to restore a windows system file from a backup (windows actually doesn't boot).

If anyone could explain why this is happening (I used captive, downloaded from xp SP1), I'd be really really happy.

Edit: I think its to do with SP2, and incompatible ntfs.sys etc etc.

Possibly. Using SP2 drivers means they don't get recognised, which sucks entirely.

Moderator Moderator
    I think I need more help...
    Ok here is the deal:
    1) I couldn't make it work with knoppix 3.6/3.7/3.82 ... but I changed my computer since the last time I did it with 3.7
    and I didn't try knoppix 3.9 yet ... ( http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19285 ), since I am still downloading it.
    2) BUT I got it is working with kanotix: ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/kanotix/KANOTI...IX-2005-02.iso
    I actually booted from the iso file stored on ntfs xp partition using grldr, menu.lst and an updated boot.ini in the root (c:\).
    The 3 files: vmlinuz, miniroot.gz and KANOTIX-2005-02.iso are stored in c:\boot\kanotix\
    Once kanotix has booted I mounted /dev/hda1 (c:/) and launched the captive-ntfs script from the kanotix menu.
    Had to help the script a little bit to find the c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe file
    and then ended nicely the script (no abrupt abort/exit)
    unmounted /dev/hda1, and run the mkdir ntfs_dir followed by the mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda1 ntfs_dir
    used mc to update something in the ntfs partition (create a directory and a file in there and remove some other file...)
    run the sync and unmount ntfs-dir commands (very important to flush/write your changes back to the disk !),
    reboot and verify under xp the changed made with kanotix.
    I am running xp sp1 but I think it should work as well with sp2...
    Please find below the files I used to boot kanotix from the iso on the ntfs partition and grldr (grub)

boot.ini:
    ======
    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    c:\grldr="Start Grub" (<== added line to get a hook to start grub)

menu.lst
    ======
    title Kanotix fromiso
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kanotix/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off vga=791 lang=us nomce quiet noprompt splash fromhd=/dev/hda1 fromiso=boot/kanotix/*.iso (all this on a single line from the kernel keyword)
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/kanotix/miniroot.gz
    boot

you can get grldr from my http://s119307663.onlinehome.us/Knoppix382.zip file
    and extract the vmlinuz and miniroot.gz from the KANOTIX-2005-02.iso file.
    (cf http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...1796&start=200 and http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition )

Good Luck and let me know,
    Gilles

Ruymbeke... thank you very much for all your help!

I followed your directions as closely as I could. The link you gave me for obtaining the grldr wasn't working, but I found it somewhere else. I'm having a problem getting this to boot properly, though...

It seems to boot fine, at first. I see the Knoppix screen with the little penguin and what not. But then after about 30 seconds, I get a screen full of one-liners that look like this:

KDSETKEYCODE: No such device
    failed to set scancode 81 to keycode 126
    KDSETKEYCODE: No such device
    failed to set scancode d9 to keycode 127

It goes on for awhile, with various scancodes and keycodes, and then ends with:

root@tty1[/]#

Looks like it's having a hard time finishing the detection of all my devices.

I have no problems booting from the Knoppix 3.7, 3.8.2, and 3.9 CDs on this computer. Not sure where to go next. I wish Knoppix 3.8+ included the captive-ntfs drivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast