Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix v 3.9

Senior Member registered user

DVD version to be released

Does anyone know the expected size of the DVD burn to be released soon?

DVD format at present is limited to 2GB of compressed data.

Has the new DVD release avoided the 2GB limitation?

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: DVD version to be released

Quote Originally Posted by lilsirecho
    DVD format at present is limited to 2GB of compressed data.
    NO, not at all. ISO 9660, which Knoppix uses, limits any single file to 2 gig in size. But there is nothing that would stop a DVD release from having multiple compressed files, or even having a nice size compressed file and then a lot of Klik type files (which would make it very easy to add other Klik files to alternate releases).

To continue on the subject:

Klik or CMG files have limits of eight such and require fstab entries for each cramfs item.

The original question was in regard to the expected data size of the DVD burn to be released.

I note in passing that the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file is cloop un-compressed during the boot sequence and is found in /root/KNOPPIX.

If the DVD were to have multiple cloop- compressed files, how would the added files be un-compressed? Would there be a KNOPPIX0,KNOPPIX1, KNOPPIX2..........?

I have yet to be able to establish multiple compressed cloop by any method. I do have uncompressed material and CMG in a DVD which can fill out the 4.4GB burn.

Perhaps there is a way to use multiple cloop file systems but it would certainly not be done without severe modification to the minirt file. This may severely impact the boot system which Klaus has optimized.

The best approach as I see it is to accept the fine arrangement of KNOPPIX provided by the CD setup, add uncompressed data to the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ( or CMG which is 16MB limited per file and seven or eight files + some uncompressed data. Then, using device mapping technique, install compressed data to the boot section and modify minirt.gz accordingly Join the two files together for a full sized DVD.

Of course, perhaps cloop itself can be re-programmed to provide greater than 700MB of compressed data since it was designed to fill the CD to full capacity and provide KNOPPIX for slower and older machines.

The basic question is; what size will the DVD burn be? (to be released soon). The technique is another matter

New query: Will the DVD be available for download even though it might take days to do so?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsirecho
    I note in passing that the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file is cloop un-compressed during the boot sequence
    I don't see how that can be. I boot Knoppix on a 512 meg laptop with a NTFS file system that it can't writen to. The cloop file is too large to fit into RAM and uncompressed it should take about 2 gig. So I don't believe that it is uncompressed at boot time; just what you need is extracted from it as required.

Install Software..where has it gone?

I was playing around with 3.9 today and went to install fprot from the knoppix/Install Software menu, and it's not there. Is this something they got rid of in the latest release? I hope not this was an awesome feature.

Harry:

Please excuse my error in stating that the KNOPPIX file is uncompressed....it is uncompressed if it is copied...a cloop function which is implied rather than directly stated!

I stand corrected for my oversight.

Still desire to know the Data burn size for the new DVD KNOPPIX release.

Re: Install Software..where has it gone?

Quote Originally Posted by xxkacklerxx
    I was playing around with 3.9 today and went to install fprot from the knoppix/Install Software menu, and it's not there. Is this something they got rid of in the latest release? I hope not this was an awesome feature.
    See "Where is the "Knoppix Live Installer" in Kno 3.8.2. Also note that with the unionFS/Debian package management bug, see http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27, installing packages may crash the system.

Junior Member registered user
    is there going to be a knoppix 4.0? if there is is it going to be on dvd or a regular cd let me know

Quote Originally Posted by sonicdragon14
    is there going to be a knoppix 4.0? if there is is it going to be on dvd or a regular cd let me know
    99.9% of us here are not Knoppix developers so we do not know much if anything at all about future releases. I do not know of the release date and I do not know anything more than what is listed at the bottom of the page at http://knoppix.com/. I wish I knew more but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicdragon14
    99.9% of us here are not Knoppix developers so we do not know much if anything at all about future releases. I do not know of the release date and I do not know anything more than what is listed at the bottom of the page at http://knoppix.com/. I wish I knew more but I don't.
    LinuxTAG is at 22 this month...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast