Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help booting hp pavilion->annoying display problems

help booting hp pavilion->annoying display problems

Hi, everybody! I am trying to boot from cd (v3.9) on a hp pavilion 520n with an old compaq presario 1425 monitor. I have tried various cheatcodes such as:
    boot: knoppix screen=800x600 ->because this made v3.7 work on this computer.
    boot: knoppix vsync=60 ->and 65
    boot: knoppix xvrefresh=65
    boot: knoppix vga=normal
    boot: fb800x600
    And various combinations of these codes.
    It seems that no matter what I do, after the hardware check the KDE comes up like static on a television (somewhat, because there are colors and I guess I can make out a desktop background. When it is trying to boot to gui mode from hardware-check (text) mode it says:"Starting X11...." and it flashes a black screen. It proceeds to say "Retrying with Server Xfree86(vesa)..." and flashes a black screen, and if I use "boot: fb800x600" it will continue after those two previous messages and say "Retrying with Server Xfree86(fbdev)...", say it failed, and give me a shell prompt. I know it is a display problem, but I just can't seem to get it to boot right.
    I have searched the forum and every answer I saw I had already tried. I am at a loss of ideas right now, so any help is appreciated (*any*) and THANK YOU for your time.

P.S.>I am having the same exact problem on this computer with v3.8.2, but v3.7 works fine if I use the cheatcode "knoppix screen=800x600".

P.S.S>If anyone knows a post that might help (I probably looked at it, but just tell me) please give me the link.

Boot problem-me too

Dear Sir,
    Yes, I too have the same problem and have tried the cheat codes. I learn that my computer is using the Intel 82815 video chipset. I will be searching a solution with you.
    Perhaps I could try your 3.7 version? Thanks! Your friend, 45auto

I downloaded the v3.7 .iso file from this ftp server: ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/knoppix/
    I used iso_burn to burn the iso to the cd, but I have had trouble burning at slower speeds, so you may want to try other programs on this site: http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

IM Having the Same Problem
    Tryed a Few CheatCodes Nothing Works >_> using a KDE XFLAT (xtremeflat) Monitor
    Worked for Slack But not whoppix of knoppix
    Any HELP Would be Appreciated
    Email me @ Dezrik@yahoo.com if you have a Fix Thanks

EDITED
    BURN AT A SLOWER Speed Works 10X better
    Sorry for this Quick Editing right after post Thanks
    used knoppix testcd
    = half Failed Due to Burning Very fast

I have the exact same problem!!! Somebody please help us out...

Senior Member registered user
    I have very old black&white (!) monitor and it works in Linux, not sure - Knoppix 3.8 or Kanotix 2005-02, Mepis 2004-06. It is very strange your monitors don't work with screen=800x600 vsync=60.

Banned
    I have been having the same problem i have posted a thread before and never got a response.. I have tried almost every cheat code and nothing works... i have knoppix 3.6 and it works fine with knoppix screen=800x600 depth=16 but now with the 3.9 release i got nothing ... I have intel i810 chipset onboard video will someone please help out that builds knoppix since this would be a support fourm.. I do under stand that knoppix is free but this is not how you get donations...

same ol same ol

i have the exact same problem. this problem never happened to me in knoppix versions prior to 3.8. i think it's a bug in the xserver, but it might also be an incompatibility problem with intel chipsets. i've noticed that in previous replies the intel chipset is a factor.

i've tried using the cheatcodes with three different monitors, two of which are new, but to no avail. and y doesnt anyone care to post a solution? i posted a reply right now in hopes of reviving this issue, since its a very frustrating problem with graphics in knoppix 3.9.

Senior Member registered user

Re: same ol same ol

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtheapple
    i've tried using the cheatcodes with three different monitors, two of which are new, but to no avail. and y doesnt anyone care to post a solution? i posted a reply right now in hopes of reviving this issue, since its a very frustrating problem with graphics in knoppix 3.9.
    Just a couple of questions to clarify:
    - are you able to boot into linux? That is, can you boot into a virtual terminal using boot: knoppix 3?
    - can you boot into X11 by booting with boot: knoppix xmodule=vesa vga=normal 3 and then typing 'init 5'?
    - have you tried cycling through the modes using Ctrl+Alt+-?
    - can you get out of GUI mode by typing Ctrl+Alt+F2?

Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

Banned
    Anyone ??? Is there a way to add the support for intel or what ???? there has to be a solution ITS LINUX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast