Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Downloaded Now What?

Junior Member registered user

Just Downloaded Now What?

Ok i am totally new and just wanted to try this i dont know a lot about programming or anything but after i download do i burn it to a CD-R and then stick it in my computer and boot up or is there more to it, if so please help it would be greatly appreciated. Also after i get Knoppix running on my windows xp system will i just be able to take out the CD and then it will boot up regularly in XP and everything like before? Thanks for the help....

Also would like to mention that i download Knoppix V3.9 from a mirror if that is useful

I know you are all looking at this thinking hes a noob and you dont want to answer so tell me is it going to be too hard for me to figure out or if someone explains it to me will i be able to do it.

Senior Member registered user

Re: Just Downloaded Now What?

Quote Originally Posted by slp44
    Ok i am totally new and just wanted to try this i dont know a lot about programming or anything but after i download do i burn it to a CD-R and then stick it in my computer and boot up or is there more to it, if so please help it would be greatly appreciated. Also after i get Knoppix running on my windows xp system will i just be able to take out the CD and then it will boot up regularly in XP and everything like before? Thanks for the help....
    You got it. Thats how it works. It doesnt touch the existing HD & in fact you can boot Knoppix on PCs that don't even have a a hard drive. Give it a shot & check out the http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/ as it has plenty of help. If you have questions please search the forum as other people have probably asked & answered them.

I hope this helps.
    James

thanks so much for helping and being kind

On the FAQ it says set up the BIOS of your computer to boot off the CD and i dont know what this means can someone explain?

Administrator Site Admin-
    You sure don't wait long for people to post help to you, do you?

OK, in a nutshell: follow the Documentation link at the top of this page and read the downloading faq.

Yes, it does matter that you used a mirror. Downloads from the mirrors are often corrupt, you really have to use an MD5 program like MD5summer to check the ISO file that you downloaded. (If you didn't download the MD5 file from the mirror too, go back and get it, it's tiny). This step is important, if you can't be bothered with it the you really shouldn't be running Linux.

Follow the instructions in the downloading faq for burning. It is important that you burn the ISO as an image and that you burn it at a slow sppeed like 4x. Exactly how to burn it as am image depends on your burning software. Read through the forums or search the web if you don't know. Do not assume that you can guess this, do not do things to try to make the CD bootable. Just burn it slowly as an image.

Senior Member registered user
    On the FAQ it says set up the BIOS of your computer to boot off the CD and i dont know what this means can someone explain?
    For now just try to boot from Knoppix. Drop the CD into the drive & reboot the computer. If it boots with a Knoppix logo then you do not need to change any settings. If it doesn't boot up Knoppix & instead boots Windows then we need to check some things. Is the downloaded ISO file is perfect & not corrupt? See the Downloading FAQ which provides info on checking the ISO file. Did you burn the ISO as a image? If you are running Windows and using Nero to burn the CD then please see http://www.rocketfodder.pwp.blueyond...Nero_page1.htm.

As for changing the BIOS settings & boot order, please read the following:
    Explains the PC bios http://www.rlrouse.com/bios.html
    Explains boot order http://compreviews.about.com/cs/pcha...a/aaBIOS_2.htm

You will have to also tell us the manufacturer or your PC (either IBM, Dell, Compaq, HP etc.) so that we can help you set the boot order.

I hope this helps.
    James

Administrator Site Admin-
    After you make the CD, you will want to boot it. If your computer is fairly new then there is a good chance that your BIOS will already be set to try booting from the CD first, so you may have to do nothing. You could try rebooting the computer with the CD in the drive and see if Knoppix or Windows starts. If Windows starts than you likely need to change the BIOS setting.

The BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is some code that comes in your computer hardware that runs each time the computer is powered up or reset. It is what loads Windows (or, in this case, Knoppix). To do this is has to decide if it should try to boot from the hard disk, the floppy disk, the CD, or something else. There is a small table in modern BIOSs that tell it what order to try booting from. So if your CD does not boot when you try to boot it, you likely need to change the BIOS settings so that the CD is tried before the hard disk.

To make this change you generally press one or more keys at boot time and enter a special software setup screen. On most computers it is the DEL key and there is a message to that effect on the start-up screen. In a few cases some manufacturers use a more cryptic key combination, check the DEL key technique first, but if it ignores it and starts Windows then read your documentation to see what key or key combination you need.

Once in the BIOS you should see a lot of different set-up options, sometimes a main menu and several pages of setting under the menu. Feel free to look around, but don't change anything if you don't know why you are changing it. And whatever you do don't change speed or voltage setting thinking you are going to make your computer faster by doing so. Such things are not meant for people who ask what a BIOS is. Look for an option about Boot or Start-up order. This one is safe to change. Put the CD befoe the hard drive, making sure the hard drive is still in the list. The exact way this is done depends on your particular BIOS, but it should not be hard to determine.

Save and reboot. Your system will try to boot any bootable CD in the CD drive before it boots from the hard drive, if there is no CD it will go on to the hard drive and boot what is there (usually Windows).

Ok well first off I am using and Emachines running on windows XP and i was either think about buring the cd using the standard windows burner (w/e that is) where i would just drag and drop the file into the CD-R Icon and click write files to disk. Or i was thisinkg about putting the files onto my iPod but i have heard that this is harder to run off of a seperate hd. But anyways will all 695MB fit onto one CD-R cd? Also I downloaded this off of a mirror so i will try to figure how to check if the files are currupted or not in the FAQ because i have heard that mirrors can be bad. Thanks again and i will try to keep you updated on whats going on if i need anymore help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast