Thread: no internet connection (ethernet) with 3.8/3.9

Member registered user

no internet connection (ethernet) with 3.8/3.9

I hope someone can throw me a lifeline cos I'm sleep deprived and psychosis is taking over.
    I have a 10/100 fast ethernet connection for which I can use the ethernet or a usb connection (Via technology VT6102 RhineII). Using Knoppix version 3.6 and 3.7 I can connect to the internet using the usb connection, but not using ethernet connection. At start-up with 3.6 or 3.7 if I have the usb connected the machine seems to recognize an eth0 and an eth1, but this doesn't happen if i have the ethernet connection or if i use 3.8 or 3.9. With 3.8 and 3.9 I can't seem to get a connection at all. I want to use 3.9. I have read through the forums and although I can't pretend to really understand I have tried the following so far with and without ethernet with no joy ( I've tried them all using the disk and the hard drive install. Feedback is an approximation ):

1 sudo modprobe natsemi (runs with ethernet but with usb i get a fatal error message as well as netsemi not installed)
    pump (i get failed message)
    ifconfig -a (get a printout which basically just gives me my loopback address 127.0.0.1)
    ping www.ntlworld.com (gives a reply -unknown host whatever website i ping

2 netcardconfig with/without the ethernet i fed the addresses in and the code ran(different address depending on which one),but when I went to the browser didn't get a connection(feedback was either unknown host or wrong name)

3 sudo mii-tools -r feedback was invalid command

4 /etc/init.d/networking restart (or start) - failed

5 lspci -v, lsmod - computer lists my card

6 pppoe connection wizard - sorry couldn't resolve, maybe another ppoe running

7 nodhcp and acpi=off at boot - no joy

thank you and goodnight

Member registered user
    I also couldn't get a connection, and also failed when I :

Code:
    pump -i eth0
    Just for giggles, I :

Code:
    pump -i eth1
    and it worked. Previously, I have had to pump eth0.

Give it a try, sorry I don't have specifics, just shots in the dark.

Member registered user
    thanks for posting. Unfortunately I still get "Operation failed", but if you hear of anything else that I could try please reply

Senior Member registered user
    As for why USB devices, as of late, have so many problems: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=82161#82161
    3. tried to mount my Lexar usb drive where I keep my install goodies. Wouldn't mount .... DMESG showed SDA1 now called UBA1..... why ???
    This is due to a linux kernel change. The very brain of the OS, the Linux kernel version 2.6.x, the internal architechture has changed and this has resulted in USB devices mapped to /dev/uba. Yes this is frustrating but going forward, this may be a permanent change. It is more logical to have USB devices at a /dev/uba1 as opposed to /dev/sda1 because /dev/sd? was created years ago for SCSI devices.
    This change occured in the time between Knoppix 3.7 & 3.8.x and the change is resident in Knoppix 3.8.x.

1 sudo modprobe natsemi
    Unless I read your description wrong, natsemi is wrong driver for your Via technology VT6102 RhineII connection. The proper driver is via-rhine. From linux kernel 2.6.11.10 configuration help:
    If you have a VIA "Rhine" based network card (Rhine-I (VT86C100A), Rhine-II (VT6102), or Rhine-III (VT6105)), say Y here. Rhine-type Ethernet functions can also be found integrated on South Bridges (e.g. VT8235). To compile this driver as a module, choose M here. The module will be called via-rhine.
    Now that we have identified that driver, my question to you: Is that via vt6102 device the USB device or the 10/100 LAN connection either on the motherboard or as a PCI card?

Member registered user
    I'm blushing whilst I'm writing this cos I'm feeling more and more stupid as I go on. But I guess humiliation never hurt anyone. I didn't realise that the term natsemi referred to the driver.Without opening the computer up (and I daren't because I have already caused some sort of problem trying to partition it for a remaster) I am not sure but the system board user manual states that there is a built in ethernet LAN (10Base-TX/100Base-T Physical Layer,MII Interface to Ethernet Controller) and the USB 2.0 is a PCI multi function device consisting of 2 UHCI Host Controllers(for low speed signalling) and one EHCI Host Controller for full speed signalling.

Times moved on from the time a wrote the first part of the post. I tried "sudo modprobe via-rhine" but that failed. I tried looking in the help files but I couldn't find the commands to bring up this passage:

If you have a VIA "Rhine" based network card (Rhine-I (VT86C100A), Rhine-II (VT6102), or Rhine-III (VT6105)), say Y here. Rhine-type Ethernet functions can also be found integrated on South Bridges (e.g. VT8235). To compile this driver as a module, choose M here. The module will be called via-rhine.

So I went back into pppoe config and added any module that could be remotely linked to my computer (as you said via-rhine was already there). The computer started chugging when I added PCI drivers, but I'm not sure if that was the thing that did it, but when I went back to pppoe configuration and entered dhcp-yes, it recognized my
    eth0 and eth1. Then when I did ifconfig it all came up and I was able to go back to networkcardconfiguration and Voila. Sorry I have typed this in in long form, but I am likely to forget what went on. I've posted it with my question as well.

PS would it be naughty to send you another post about my partitioning problem if I don't find an answer somewhere