Folks,

I love Knoppix, but my Toshiba Satellite A55-S326 laptop doesn't. I am running SuSE 9.1 on it as a dual boot using grub and it's working as a charm. I don't remember the last time I booted the other OS. I would have gotten rid of it long ago, were it not for the occasional games and movies that my significant other is running under it. Knoppix has no binaries for the smart link modem, and there are no kernel source files (approx 35 MB of overhead) to build the driver from sources. I was able to locate binaries for it though, but here's the problem. I boot Knoppix either from CD-ROM or from the iso that I've downloaded and burned using 'bootfrom=/dev/hda3/tmp/knoppix39/KNOPPIX*.iso' cheat code. I have not been able to install or build the driver thus far.

Here's the specs on the modem:

Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
Sybsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0001
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: I/O prts at 1800
Region 1: I/O ports at 1480 [size=128]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

rpm -q -a | grep ppp returns
ppp-2.4.2-39
smppd-1.16-3
kernel: 2.6.4-52 default
current driver: smartlink-softmodem version: 2.9.6-79
package: smartlink-softmodem-2.9.6-79.i586.rpm

I've downloaded slmodem-2.9.10 source, but there are no kernel source files under Knoppix 3.9 or 3.6 for that matter to build it.

here's the log after running 'make install' as root

----------------
make -C modem all
make[1]: Entering directory '/ramdisk/tmp/slmodem-2.9.10/modem'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/ramdisk/tmp/slmodem-2.9.10/modem'
make -C drivers KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.11/build
make[1]: Entering directory '/ramdisk/tmp/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers'
cc -I/lib/modules/2.6.11/build/include -o kernel-ver kernel.ver.c
make all KERNEL_VER=2.6.11
make[2]: Entering directory '/ramdisk/tmp/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers'
make modules -C /lib/modules/2.6.11/build SUBDIRS=/ramdisk/tmp/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers
/bin/sh: /UNIONFS/usr/src/linux-2.6.11/scripts/gcc-version.sh: No such file or directory
make[3]: Entering directory '/UNIONFS/usr/src/linux/2.6.11'
make[4]: scripts /Makefile.build: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** No rule to make target 'scripts/Makefile.build'. Stop.
make[3]: *** [_module_/ramdisk/tmp/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/UNIONFS/usr/src/linux-2.6.11'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/ramdisk/tmp/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/ramdisk/tmp/slmodem-2.9.10/drivers'
make: [drivers] Error 2
----------------

You would think all we need is to get the kernel sources? Not quite. That produces another curious error:

cc1: No space left on device: error closing /tmp/ccNAYM8f.s
make[1]: *** [kernel_ver] Error 1

This to me looks like incorrect kernel sources, but the "no space left on the device" apparently is the limit imposed by booting from anything other than hdd.

I believe the only way to build the driver is to have Knoppix installed on the hard drive, or else creating a custom Knoppix with the files slamr.o, slmodemd, and slusb.o inserted in the proper places, which could not be distributed due to licensing restrictions. Another solution is to go out and buy a stand alone modem. Almost all the new computers sold today have Winmodems that use software rather than hardware for signal processing.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Joseph Schiller

P.S. Please accept my apologies for the long posting