Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repair partition with Knoppix?

Repair partition with Knoppix?

I am using Knoppix to try to recover my data on my PC that has Windows 98SE installed (but will not boot into Windows). I have been able to boot completely into Knoppix numerous times using the CD, and I have been able to recover almost all of the data I want (copied it to another drive).

I have a bit more data to recover, but now the machine seems to "hang" while booting (though sometimes it boots normally in Knoppix.)... what would cause it to hang? It appears that the present drive has a bad partition (which I plan to fdisk when I get all of the data I need). Can knoppix repair the main hard drive partition?

when it is running the following boot/hardware detection command, it hangs (freezes):

"Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab..."

any ideas what I can do?

Howie

Senior Member registered user
    boot knoppix with the cheatcode:
    knoppix nofstab

It will not generate a fstab. This means that knoppix will not automatically mount the C: drive/hda1 partition when you click the icon on the desktop. This means that you will have to manually mount it.

I boot with Knoppix 3.9 with the cheat code:
    Code:
    knoppix nofstab
    I open a konsole command window. I make sure that hda1 folder in /mnt exists:
    Code:
    ls /mnt
    If it does not, I make it:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/hda1
    I mount the hda1 (C: drive)
    Code:
    sudo mount -t vfat -o ro,users /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    I assume that hdb1 is your D: drive. I make sure that hdb1 folder in /mnt exists:
    Code:
    ls /mnt
    If it does not, I make it:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/hdb1
    I mount the hdb1 (D: drive)
    Code:
    sudo mount -t vfat -o users /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1
    Next I open up the GUI file manager.
    Code:
    sudo konqueror
    Once that comes up, in the location bar, I type:
    Code:
    /mnt/hda1/
    Now I see the hda1 (C: drive) contents & I navigate to the data I want to save. Then hit the keys CTRL-T to open a new tabbed window. Then in that location bar type:
    Code:
    /mnt/hdb1/
    Now I see the D: drive & just like in windows explorer, select the file & folders you want to copy, CTRL-C or right-click & copy them. Use the mouse & move over to the other tab, then CTRL-V or right-click paste to initiate the transfer.

I followed your instructions, up to when I type in the command "sudo mount -t vfat -o ro,users /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1", I get the following:

"mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
    or too many mounted file systems
    (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
    ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)"

????

Howie

>>
    >>

Underscore ... it just means it isn't a vfat fs.

>>
    (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
    ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)"
    >>

What kind of disk is it, ide, if so then i wouldn't think so. You haven't revealed the kind of disk your using ....

You need to use the fs type that is being used by your Windows 98SE. As i'm not familiar with that windows i can't say much more there. Is it a "ntfs" file-system. If so use that as the parameter for the "-t" switch.

If it is a "ntfs" fs, don't try writing to it as write support isn't good in Linux for a ntfs fs. Its' fault though.

jm

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmac
    >>
    >>

Underscore ... it just means it isn't a vfat fs.
    Actually, I saw a bad superblock message a week ago and asked about it also (no response). On my case it was an NTFS partition, but I have never received that message in the past opening NTFS partitions. The disk had become corrupted and Knoppix couldn't open it to read from it. XP was much worse, it just kept flashing something on the screen too fast to read and then rebooting the entire computer (cycle repeats). In my case it certainly didn't just mean it isn't a vfat.

I ended up having to use other tools to repair the partition, although Knoppix was a help in that it allowed me to at least back up my other partition on that computer.

it's a IDE drive... I believe it is also vfat... isn't ntfs for Windows XP?

Member registered user
    Try burning knoppix image to another cd. Then use it and delete a portion of the hdd which isnt too important, like delete games partition(which can be installed later in windows98 with the game cds). Create a ext2/3 partition and a swap that is double ur ram plus 100mb.

Now type
    Code:
    knx2hd
    This should install knoppix to ur hd. Your problem of running it from cd can be solved.
    You arent gonna mess up with the default config of knoppix until u reset the permissions of hd to read/write mode.

Quote Originally Posted by gnukish
    Try burning knoppix image to another cd. Then use it and delete a portion of the hdd which isnt too important, like delete games partition(which can be installed later in windows98 with the game cds). Create a ext2/3 partition and a swap that is double ur ram plus 100mb.

Now type
    Code:
    knx2hd
    This should install knoppix to ur hd. Your problem of running it from cd can be solved.
    You arent gonna mess up with the default config of knoppix until u reset the permissions of hd to read/write mode.
    I have no idea what you think is going on in this thread but it appears you are confused. Perhaps I am wrong, but the user "Howitzer17" is trying to recover data from a Windows 98 machine. Your suggestion that he installs knoppix to the HD is not right.

Member registered user
    I did not suggest him to install linux to the entire space available. He can make a hd install in a small partition and then recover the rest thereby not losing time (running from the cd will be slower than hd) and also backing up the needed data.

@Underscore: Perhaps my last post wasnt clear. Correct this time and tell me if Iam wrong and how.

Regards

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by gnukish
    I did not suggest him to install linux to the entire space available. He can make a hd install in a small partition and then recover the rest thereby not losing time (running from the cd will be slower than hd) and also backing up the needed data.

@Underscore: Perhaps my last post wasnt clear. Correct this time and tell me if Iam wrong and how.

Regards
    But he didn't even want to install to hard disk, and Knoppix far from a good choice if a Linux HD install is desired. As to the speed, there is only a CD speed hit in Knoppix in loading software. But you can boot knoppix and have all the tools you need to transfer files already running when the boot finishes. File transfers will be just as fast at that point as if Knoppix was "installed" and will have the added benefit of actually working without fooling with things like "why did my network suddenly stop working after I installed Knoppix to hard disk?" So any claims of speed differences are really meaningless, and it would take far longer to install and troubleshoot a hard disk install than to just boot Knoppix from CD once or twice. We generally don't try to teach people bad habits, particularly when they don't even indicate that they want to learn the bad habits. This poor guy is or was having Win98 problems, the last thing he needs at this point is to be repartitioning his disk to make space of some dubious "install" of Knoppix to his hard disk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast