Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 4.0

I see these torrents are the DE version, are the iso's all in German or is there an option to use English with the image ?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by swazi
    I see these torrents are the DE version, are the iso's all in German or is there an option to use English with the image ?
    Do you realize that I posted about this just last night? Go read http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=87006#87006

CD from DVD

Does anybody know whether it be be possible to create a Knoppix CD from the contents of the DVD (using something like jigdo perhaps)?

--
    Zym

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Quote Originally Posted by swazi
    This is brought up every time Mr. Knopper released a German only ISO. It defaults to both a German keyboard map and German for all dialogs & menus. I am not absolutely certain, but other German releases allowed the user to use US English at boot up by using the Cheat Code:
    knoppix lang=us
    where the '=' is done with SHIFT + 0

The past release of Knoppix 3.8 Cebit Edition was German only and I hexedited the ISO file and created a fully default US English version. It should be possible to do the very same thing to Knoppix 4.0 DVD ISO. If anyone is interested, the process for hexediting the ISO is described here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=78397#78397. The hexedit allows me to edit the /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg file. I searched & then replaced every entry of lang=de to lang=us.
    Thank you for describing the character for = ! I just booted it and realized the layout had defaulted that way and that I couldn't change it unless I knew the character for =

-gildedlink

Re: CD from DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Zymous
    Does anybody know whether it be be possible to create a Knoppix CD from the contents of the DVD (using something like jigdo perhaps)?

--
    Zym
    Making a new CD or DVD from an existing disc is called remastering. In theory, unless something has wildly changed it should be possible to remaster a Knoppix 4.0 DVD into a CD. This process is almost nothing like jigdo, which is a pretty sweet method of creating CD images. Read the wiki Documentation link at the top of the page or visit the Customising & Remastering forum for more info.

Knoppix 4.0 DVD Screenshots

For those people interested in Knoppix 4.0 or those not willing to download a 4GB ISO but still want to see it, I put up some screenshots of Knoppix 4.0 on my site. There are three galleries: One for general Knoppix 4.0 menus & applications. One for the a HD Install (read http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo before attempting). And one for after the HD install.

Thanks for the screenshots.

I've been downloading this DVD via BitTornado for 24 hours now and have only gotten 42% of it. Ouch.

<edit>
    It helps to have your ports configured correctly!

My download is almost done; blazing at 300 KB/s, much faster than other BT downloads.
    Once it is done, I'm am uploading it onto a server

Anybody here have a fast priv. server? Because its not gonna survive if it just lies on BT... just like the dead 3.6 dvd

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_c
    Anybody here have a fast priv. server? Because its not gonna survive if it just lies on BT... just like the dead 3.6 dvd
    Well, it certainly will survive until the offical 4.0 comes out; there will be plenty of interest until then. The last thing that BitTorrnt needs is the swarm to split to another tracker, that only reduces the speed on downloads. And putting it on a server isn't going to help the swarm much either (although may help those behind a corporate firewall that they can't use BitTorrent efectively from still steal bandwidth).

Longer term, yes, the Torrent for this will die as the offical releases from Klaus come out. It seems that maybe that's the way it should be. I would be more concerned that all of the old official ISOs vanish from the mirrors than I would be that some unofficial torrent be archived on a server forever. Rather than expend the server space to permanently archive and make available this unofficial release, I would be happy to see a server that still offered the CD versions back to 3.1 and maybe before that.

Sounds like you have found a great well seeded tracker. Would you post a link to the torrent that you used?

I'm using the default tracker posted before, which connects to a tracker with the domain: mongo.org

in the meantime, i'm going to send it over to TLM project and see if they can set up a better tracker and is officiated by the project tlmproject.org they have they're own proprietary tracker

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast