Thread: THESE FORUMS HAVE SERIOUS BROWSER ISSUES

Member registered user

THESE FORUMS HAVE SERIOUS BROWSER ISSUES

At least on my windows machine - Opera can't view them at all, and on IE I can't log in. The only browser that works is firefox.

Senior Member registered user
    Only issues I've had in this forum are with lynx. Never with IE, I can't say about Opera.

i've had problems where it doesnt show the full posts.... it gets annoying...

I don't have any problems at all, Opera v7.51. I use a customised set of style-sheets though so that it is all layed out to my liking. It's just a matter of experimenting with the "class" names as used by the site(s), but putting them in your own file (grin).

jm

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmac
    I don't have any problems at all, Opera v7.51. I use a customised set of style-sheets though so that it is all layed out to my liking. It's just a matter of experimenting with the "class" names as used by the site(s), but putting them in your own file (grin).

jm
    I have Opera version 7.23 and none of the posts will appear. I guess I'll need to get the latest version. Still, it should be compatible with browsers t that were released just 1-2 years ago.

Also, if I hit "reply" or "quote" and I'm already logged it, I just get sent to the main screen. If I actually post anything I have to first log out, then click "post reply" or "quote", and then it takes me to where I can log in and then post. Is there just a dark cloud hanging over me, or does that happen to anyone else?

Administrator Site Admin-
    IE is well know to be breaking web standards and trying to push the web it's way. I don't use it and so can't confirm any IE issues with the forums, but if they exist then I certainly don't think that a Linux forum should change things to accomodate bad things done by IE.

Opera is a commercial browser. I don't pay for it and so I have never seen the problems with it that you seem to have. It's unlikely that the site admin pays for it either, so if problems exist he may have never seen them. If you do pay them for it, then I would suggest asking their support people why Opera doesn't render a site that Firefox does. If they provide an answer in specific information that the site is doing something that conflicts with web standards then I would advocate fixing the site. But if not then I don't think it's reasonable that the site be tested against paid commercial browsers. Of course, if you are stealing Opera than I have no concern for you. I use Firefox and don't bother to deal with warez sites to steal Opera.

I have no log-in / log-out problems. I accepted the cookie and haven't logged in in ages. If you are rejecting the cookie or playing other games with it (or have trained Opera to do strange things with the cookie), then you are likely causing yourself problems. If you are ultra paranoid about cookies, get a browser like Firefox that lets you enable or diasble cookies on a site by site basis.

>>
    I have Opera version 7.23 ..
    >>

Best to update. I'm using the 8.0 static version for deb. Works really well. Buy removing the banner from /usr/share/opera/images/ the screen area used is much less than 7.54. The "close window" option has been removed from the file menu though. Minor issue (grin). Otherwise it run very well.

The cookie hint above would be worth looking at. I run through a local proxy "Junkbuster" and when i have forgotten to allow cookies in for sites i'm regestered with i have had to login for every page visited , but that was just because junkbuster was dumping the cookies (grin). And any cookie settings in your browser should be enabled as well ...

In the browser i just have "use cookies" checked and "delete cookies on exit" checked.

"Use cookies to trace password protected pages" unchecked. Having that checked just caused all pages to load fresh image files rather than using cached images ... which got a bit heavy on the dloads, so i turned it off ... no problems.

v7.23 is a bit old and very likely to be buggy. Especially being closed source.

jm

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    if you are stealing Opera than I have no concern for you. I use Firefox and don't bother to deal with warez sites to steal Opera.
    Actually, the downloadable version of Opera (without registration) is free, but has a small bar at the top with Google ads in it. That's what I use. I downloaded the latest version and it works great with this forum. I would have switched to Firefox, but for some reason it won't import my Opera bookmarks (and I have about 1000 of them).

IE still has some glitches, but like you indicated IE sucks, and I only use it when lame websites require it (like my bank PNCBank - time to switch banks).

davea0511 wrote:
    >>
    Actually, the downloadable version of Opera (without registration) is free, but has a small bar at the top with Google ads in it. That's what I use. I downloaded the latest version and it works great with this forum.
    >>

And, if you move ...

/usr/share/opera/images/operabanner.png to

/usr/share/opera/images/operabanner.png-orig

And filter operas' site and the dobleclick site out via a proxy ... You get rid of the banners

In v8.0 it turns in to a non intrusive bar, aprox 6 or 7 mm high. v7.51 did the same but the bar height was much greater. All the widgets and dialog boxes look much cleaner. And the preferences dialog is much smoother as well.

The only thing a little strange though is that the "close window" option from the file menu drop down set has gone missing. Not a great problem but it does mean the option needs to be supplied by the wm, on the wm supplied title bar.

A top browser though

jm