Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ManPages in Knoppix 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by winsnomore
    use xine to play dvd's. that works like a charm .. the ui could be better, but heck it s usable.

I am told mplayer plays everything but it's never available with any debian distro by default.

regarding mepis having few warts .. I agree, but there are issues with it .. and those have to do with debian .. the javavm one major hassle.
    Other reason I moved to knoppix 4.0 is that they DID pick most of the new software .. kde 3.4 for one, and open office 2.0 beta.
    I hate to constantly having to download install newer stuff after loading a new distro .. so knoppix is excellent .. has tons more software than mepis or fc or suse .. etc.
    Hello...thanks for the reply.I was using xine(With mepis and it worked fine) but when I loaded the knoppix 3.9 on my drive something came up while booting that said my 'DMA' was not enabled.I'm not sure,but does that have something to do with dvd play?would that be the reason for libdvdcss2 not having a 'candidate' to go to when I tried to download it?I want to give knoppix another try,guess I'll wait for 4.0 to be available on one of the mirrors.As for Mplayer,that came with dvd rip and it works fine.I like xine a bit better tho.Actually I don't care what it is called as long as it plays the dvd's.When I get the 4.0 am I going to have to update my repositories before I can download libdvdcss2 and such,or is it all in the new knoppix?Thanks for the mail...kerry

Read only partition image of CD?

Hello,
    Not totally new to Linux flavors, and toyed with a few variants of Knoppix, but...

I like the "safety" of a live CD but the speed of HD access. The new unionfs is great. Is it possible to copy an image of the Live CD into a read-only partition and tell any boot loader to look for the CD image there? I'm thinking of two partitions-one for the safe files, one for the usual saved configuratiion and programs I'm "testing" but don't want them to affect my "happy with it" version. Does this make sense?

And I know USB is faster, but I dont want a dongle dangling where it can get damaged. Maybe just mounting an iso image is possible, but I'd like the guarantee that any old crap that I happen to be messing things up with invariably has ZERO access to my "happy with it " image/partition/CD.

Hope it makes sense and I'm not missing something obvious...

thanks

Member registered user

Re: Read only partition image of CD?

Quote Originally Posted by ted142
    Hello,
    Not totally new to Linux flavors, and toyed with a few variants of Knoppix, but...

I like the "safety" of a live CD but the speed of HD access. The new unionfs is great. Is it possible to copy an image of the Live CD into a read-only partition and tell any boot loader to look for the CD image there? I'm thinking of two partitions-one for the safe files, one for the usual saved configuratiion and programs I'm "testing" but don't want them to affect my "happy with it" version. Does this make sense?

And I know USB is faster, but I dont want a dongle dangling where it can get damaged. Maybe just mounting an iso image is possible, but I'd like the guarantee that any old crap that I happen to be messing things up with invariably has ZERO access to my "happy with it " image/partition/CD.

thanks
    Certainly

notes/disclaimer; I have done this on a HDD that was FAT32 formatted and ext2 and ext3 only -- NTFS may have some other issues -- for NTFS see http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition and look around these forums nad the Wiki http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/

Anyway;
    using ext2 or ext3 isa "much" better solution to using FAT32, since FAT32 does NOT have the ability to store "ownership/permissions" of Users (Metadata) -- this is extremely necessary to have a "properly" working persistent /home directory.

There's a bit of a catch22 to this -- you can boot from LiveCD and use QTParted - or use cfdisk to create, move, resize partitions...I used Qtparted and made myself (2 partitions) - an ext3 partition of ~8GB. Later, after booting to it, I made a Persistent Home Dir. (PHD) on that ext3 partition of about 1GB ...I also made a separate /swap partition of 1.5GB (I only made it that big, b/c of small amt of RAM, and if wanting to burn CDs or DVDs, thought I may need that much space...usually 512-1024 is more than adequate for /swap).

Boot from LiveCD and enter the cheatcode;
    Code:
    knoppix tohd=/dev/hdaX
    Typical IDE interface has 2 Channels (each with 2 Devices capable) for a total of 4 devices - hence --> hda, hdb, hdc, hdd <--hda is 1st HDD, hdb the 2nd HDD, etc

'X' is a numbered partition of each HDD -- hda1 is 1st partition on 1st HDD (then 5,6,7,8 are the Logicals, "if" an Extended partition exists with Logical Drives.

If not each HDD can have up to 4 Primary [or 3 Primary + 1 Extended partition] -- this is where hda2, hda3, hda4 disappear to -- remember the ' a ' in hda refers to the 1st HDD, or "Primary Master" -- hdb would be the Primary Slave HDD, and hdc would be the Secondary Master (Many times this is an Optical Disk Drive (ODD) --> a CD/DVD Drive).

Ok - so the tohd= cheatcode copies the KNOPPIX image to the Hard Disk and runs from HDD image (see knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in \KNOPPIX Directory on CD/DVD media), so Next time, you can boot using this cheatcode;
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/hd?X
    remember;
    * the "?" is going to be a letter (a,b,c,d) of the HDD (which one of 4 possible)
    * the "X" is going to be the partition number (1,5,6,7,8,etc usually) - or (2,3,4 which is rarer, but it's what I'm using at the moment)

you can also enter a "Saved Knoppix Config" cheatcode along with the fromhd= cheatcode;
    Code:
    ## example only
    knoppix26 fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=/dev/hda1 myconf=/dev/hdb5
    *edit (added 'home=/dev/hda1' line to cheatcode) */edit

Re: Read only partition image of CD?

Quote Originally Posted by |enouf|
    Quote Originally Posted by ted142
    Hello,

thanks
    Certainly

notes/disclaimer; I have done this on a HDD that was FAT32 formatted and ext2 and ext3 only -- NTFS may have some other issues -- for NTFS see http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition and look around these forums nad the Wiki http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/

Anyway;
    using ext2 or ext3 isa "much" better solution to using FAT32, since FAT32 does NOT have the ability to store "ownership/permissions" of Users (Metadata) -- this is extremely necessary to have a "properly" working persistent /home directory.

There's a bit of a catch22 to this -- you can boot from LiveCD and use QTParted - or use cfdisk to create, move, resize partitions...I used Qtparted and made myself (2 partitions) - an ext3 partition of ~8GB. Later, after booting to it, I made a Persistent Home Dir. (PHD) on that ext3 partition of about 1GB ...I also made a separate /swap partition of 1.5GB (I only made it that big, b/c of small amt of RAM, and if wanting to burn CDs or DVDs, thought I may need that much space...usually 512-1024 is more than adequate for /swap).

Boot from LiveCD and enter the cheatcode;
    Code:
    knoppix tohd=/dev/hdaX
    Typical IDE interface has 2 Channels (each with 2 Devices capable) for a total of 4 devices - hence --> hda, hdb, hdc, hdd <--hda is 1st HDD, hdb the 2nd HDD, etc

'X' is a numbered partition of each HDD -- hda1 is 1st partition on 1st HDD (then 5,6,7,8 are the Logicals, "if" an Extended partition exists with Logical Drives.

If not each HDD can have up to 4 Primary [or 3 Primary + 1 Extended partition] -- this is where hda2, hda3, hda4 disappear to -- remember the ' a ' in hda refers to the 1st HDD, or "Primary Master" -- hdb would be the Primary Slave HDD, and hdc would be the Secondary Master (Many times this is an Optical Disk Drive (ODD) --> a CD/DVD Drive).

Ok - so the tohd= cheatcode copies the KNOPPIX image to the Hard Disk and runs from HDD image (see knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in \KNOPPIX Directory on CD/DVD media), so Next time, you can boot using this cheatcode;
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/hd?X
    remember;
    * the "?" is going to be a letter (a,b,c,d) of the HDD (which one of 4 possible)
    * the "X" is going to be the partition number (1,5,6,7,8,etc usually) - or (2,3,4 which is rarer, but it's what I'm using at the moment)

you can also enter a "Saved Knoppix Config" cheatcode along with the fromhd= cheatcode;
    Code:
    ## example only
    knoppix26 fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=/dev/hda1 myconf=/dev/hdb5
    *edit (added 'home=/dev/hda1' line to cheatcode) */edit
    Hi being that this in an older thread, does this still apply to say the now 5.0.1 Knoppix LiveDVD?

Or is there a newer more efficient method?

Conclusion: I was going to install to hdd, but after reading around I understand it's not a bright idea for n00bs like myself.

So I thought about mounting the image in on of my virtual DVD/CD ROM's but being a n00b I did it while in XP.

I understand that I must repartition. I use G-Parted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GParted

Currently i'm triple booting: Vista, XP and Ubuntu. Or since I have a linux distro should I just mount in Ubuntu virtual ROM? If yes, I would imagine I don't have to partition, correct?

EDIT: Or are all the answers found in this thread? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123