Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ManPages in Knoppix 4.0

Junior Member registered user

ManPages in Knoppix 4.0

I just installed knoppix 4.0 .. looks great but I found (or unfound) that all the manpages are missing.

There is manpage-de package available for chapter 1 etc. (and for other languages .. but English !!!!)

There are manpages and manpages-dev packages, but these are expressly for things not coverd by the base manpage (called upstream package)..

Can anyone help ?

Harry .. I am missing something
    I do know how to install pacakges ..
    Knoppix-4.0 is -DE version .. you can do lang=us and use it
    Hoever but the manpages are NOT provided for English and I can't find them anywhere ..

If there is a specific article that addresses it, I would appreciate it. .. the link you pointed out is a generic one on how to use the forum, and frankly I thought I did post it in the "right" section.

Senior Member registered user
    Welcome! You are the first true support request in regards to Knoppix 4.0 DVD.

Did you read http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo and note that installing Knoppix to HD may break something & is not recommended. Your post belongs in HD install & not in general.

I must say that I do not understand "There are manpages and manpages-dev packages, but these are expressly for things not coverd by the base manpage (called upstream package).."

Please let us know what happens when you type:
    man tar
    man gzip
    man gcc
    man ls
    man cp
    man bzip2

If it is just a packaging issue then:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install manpages

Administrator Site Admin-
    Knoppix is a live CD. If you insist on installing it and what to discuss how to install packages with a installed to hard disk Knoppix enviroment (which will be much different than just installing packages in Debian, since Knoppix is a mix of releases), you would be much better served by discussing it in the forum set up for discussion of Knoppix problems after installing to a hard drive.

Well, Harry I think the problem may be general and applicable to both .. live as well as hard install.
    Live is fine, but if you really like the thing ..why not install it !!!

Thanks for the welcome UnderScore ..

This is my first Knoppix and I like what I have seen so far .. except this problem (

The package list provided (by both synaptic and kpacagemanager) .. contains only manpage-?? (almost all except English !!!)
    the manpage and manpage-dev are really by Debian folks trying to add some POSIX stuff .. and nothing on chap. 1/2/3/4/5
    (of course this is all the repositories are holding .. that's why I asked the question here)

man vi
    results in :
    >.No manual entry for vi
    > See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

Info was also broken, I did reinstall the package .. it also is pretty broken still ... but I don't use it so I really don't care about it.

I noticed that it installed links in /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc .. but all the link are broken .. actually it didn't even create the /usr/share/doc directory.
    I installed manpage .. and that created the /usr/share/doc .. but the rest of chap 1/2/3/4/5/8 is all missing .. and there is scant litlle info.on where to get the English package

I think these problems are because the base package is masterd for -DE I was just hoping to get some direction from folks with more experience on this .. I am pretty sure it has happend before !!

Quote Originally Posted by winsnomore
    but if you really like the thing ..why not install it !!!
    Because it wasn't intended to be installed. It is a mix of different releases of Debian that work well as intended from the CD. But after "installing" things frequently break. And they really get messed up if you try to update anything, a result of the mix of the different Debian releases that have been tested to work together on the CD but are known to break if you update. Plus all the problems of the install being sloppy and not getting things like permissions right (search through the froums for a while and look at how many times people post about a network card that worked fine from CD but stopped working as soon as Knoppix was installed to hd. This one problem has been going on for over two years, the fix is apparently simple, but the people who promote installing Knoppix to HD never bother to fix the scripts). The HDD install forum has more problems posted in it than any other forum except the catch all "general forum" and many of the problems posted in the General Forum, the networking forum and others are actually HDD problems.

If you want to install it, go ahead. But if you promote others doing the same, give them fair warning of what they are letting themselves in for, not a why not install it quip. And when you do have problem after installing it, if the problems can not be duplicated on the CD, post those problems in the HDD forum.

Harry .. I am new to Knoppix, your point is well taken regarding such issues.

However, I am yet to come across ANY linux distro that doesn't have warts .. all need fair amount of work to get them to do what you "expect" .. so you fix it all and then the next release comes, and you are back at it again.

I will double check and post, but as I said before, this problem most likely is in both live-cd and hd-install.

Linux isn't perfect. But you don't have to complicate it by installing a version that was made for Live CD but is known to have problems when installed to hard drive. You asked why not install, I posted back my response.

I don't know if installing to the hard disk is related to the man page issue or not. I have never installed Knoppix and have no plans to, so I have no way to check. If the install doesn't copy something over properly or doesn't set the premissions right then it's a hard disk issue. If it's also a problem on the CD then I'm hard pressed to understand why you prefixed your question about a statement about installing it. If the problem exists on the CD then then it would be better to not confuse the issue by starting the conversation about a hard disk install.

Senior Member registered user
    The post may be in the wrong part of the forum, but installing Knoppix to hard disk and dealing with the consequences is not that big a deal, especially with later versions. Knoppix 3.9 took a dist-upgrade with no problem.

Anyway, I'm running the live 4.0 DVD using the "lang=us keyboard=us" cheatcodes, and the (English) man pages are all there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast