Thread: Possible to FSCK or E2FSCK on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh ??

Member registered user

Possible to FSCK or E2FSCK on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh ??

hi;
    I was curious if I can somehow run a File system check on these two files configs.tbz and knoppix.sh (Saved Knoppix Configuration) which reside on my (knoppix26 myconfig=/mnt/hda hda8 partition ??

I'm getting some errors from Kmix at boot up (It's open already on the desktop at KDE start - and crashes when I close it)...and I have no idea how to decipher BackTrace from the KDE crash - yet I've spent quite a bit of time configuring all my Brower and Desktop settings. I have done this many times before (save knoppix config) in the past, but only lately after a couple of "lockups", I guess from trying to do too much at once from only 192MB RAM..did these startup errors and seemingly not saving settings probs arise.

*anecdotal;

I wrote a l-o-n-g question yesterday about the knoppix DIR structure, and trying to decipher WHERE [/usr/lib/kdelib_init.so] (<-- or very similar) actually resides, so perhaps it can be edited or something -- but my post got eaten - yes it actually did a houdini! on me, and vanished.... must've been the Website "timeout" (??)

I got no error message though - just the login screen again when I tried to PREVIEW/submit....and when I tried using Mozilla back button, - nada - zippo - gone

...after logging in, and writing and pasting screenshots and figuring out how to do this in knoppix - it must've been an hour or so before I was finally able to post, -- I clicked PREVIEW and POOOFFF! My post/message went off into the ether *sigh*

*/anecdotal

*edit;
    btw - My Onboard SOund (Creative SB AudioPCI on an Intel 440BX - PII 350MHz - 192MB RAM) has never worked so far and I've ignored it so far. I've looked in InfoCenter and Control Center and it basically says ALSA is loaded but NoSOUND DEVICES detected
    (but this is ANOTHER issue I will tackle later - thanks)

*edir2:
    I found some AC-97 info through a search here for configs.tbz and knoppix.sh and
    alsa=intel8x0 is NOT working for me -- like I said that's really not at the heart of this threads ? though -- I'll tackle that one soon

p.s. I did a search on these boards for [fsck esfsck] and found many threads under HDD/Install so it doesn't apply to me YET I even viewed the [man:/es2fsck] and [man:/fsck] -- but I can't understand the functions, how to use the various /switches - BTW - I'm DOS saavy and extremely knowledgable about 98 and the REG (whatever that's worth).

thanks to whomever can inform me a bit

Senior Member registered user

Re: Possible to FSCK or E2FSCK on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh

[[ BTW - I'm DOS saavy and extremely knowledgable about 98 and the REG (whatever that's worth) ]]

--One thing you need to know:

" fsck " == "chkdsk" / "scandisk" in Windoze. Trying to do "fsck" on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh is N/A; you do "fsck" on filesystems / partitions, or _unmounted_ "loop" files that contain filesystems (such as ext2 or reiserfs.)

--192MB RAM should be plenty. Is your machine overclocked or anything like that?

[[ I wrote a l-o-n-g question yesterday about the knoppix DIR structure, and trying to decipher WHERE [/usr/lib/kdelib_init.so] (<-- or very similar) actually resides, so perhaps it can be edited or something
    ]]

-- " /usr/lib/kdelib_init.so " is a binary file. Kind of like a .dll in Win. You don't edit them.

--Sorry about your troubles, but I doubt I can help much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by |enouf|
    hi;
    I was curious if I can somehow run a File system check on these two files configs.tbz and knoppix.sh (Saved Knoppix Configuration) which reside on my (knoppix26 myconfig=/mnt/hda hda8 partition ??

I'm getting some errors from Kmix at boot up (It's open already on the desktop at KDE start - and crashes when I close it)...and I have no idea how to decipher BackTrace from the KDE crash - yet I've spent quite a bit of time configuring all my Brower and Desktop settings. I have done this many times before (save knoppix config) in the past, but only lately after a couple of "lockups", I guess from trying to do too much at once from only 192MB RAM..did these startup errors and seemingly not saving settings probs arise.

*anecdotal;

I wrote a l-o-n-g question yesterday about the knoppix DIR structure, and trying to decipher WHERE [/usr/lib/kdelib_init.so] (<-- or very similar) actually resides, so perhaps it can be edited or something -- but my post got eaten - yes it actually did a houdini! on me, and vanished.... must've been the Website "timeout" (??)

I got no error message though - just the login screen again when I tried to PREVIEW/submit....and when I tried using Mozilla back button, - nada - zippo - gone

...after logging in, and writing and pasting screenshots and figuring out how to do this in knoppix - it must've been an hour or so before I was finally able to post, -- I clicked PREVIEW and POOOFFF! My post/message went off into the ether *sigh*

*/anecdotal

*edit;
    btw - My Onboard SOund (Creative SB AudioPCI on an Intel 440BX - PII 350MHz - 192MB RAM) has never worked so far and I've ignored it so far. I've looked in InfoCenter and Control Center and it basically says ALSA is loaded but NoSOUND DEVICES detected
    (but this is ANOTHER issue I will tackle later - thanks)

*edir2:
    I found some AC-97 info through a search here for configs.tbz and knoppix.sh and
    alsa=intel8x0 is NOT working for me -- like I said that's really not at the heart of this threads ? though -- I'll tackle that one soon

p.s. I did a search on these boards for [fsck esfsck] and found many threads under HDD/Install so it doesn't apply to me YET I even viewed the [man:/es2fsck] and [man:/fsck] -- but I can't understand the functions, how to use the various /switches - BTW - I'm DOS saavy and extremely knowledgable about 98 and the REG (whatever that's worth).

thanks to whomever can inform me a bit

Member registered user

Re: Possible to FSCK or E2FSCK on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --One thing you need to know:

" fsck " == "chkdsk" / "scandisk" in Windoze. Trying to do "fsck" on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh is N/A; you do "fsck" on filesystems / partitions, or _unmounted_ "loop" files that contain filesystems (such as ext2 or reiserfs.)

--192MB RAM should be plenty. Is your machine overclocked or anything like that?
    hi;
    thanks for replying - and not o/cing .... I notice knoppix creates a ~145MB ramdisk at boot time (I also, in the past, have created/deleted - and created/kept a knoppix.swp on the same partition as configs.tbz and knoppix.sh - right now I have a knoppix.swp in place, but the HDD isn't being accessed, which is a good thing).
    -- " /usr/lib/kdelib_init.so " is a binary file. Kind of like a .dll in Win. You don't edit them.

--Sorry about your troubles, but I doubt I can help much more than that.
    thanks for the reply and the info about the Binary / DLL-like file

Is there a way I can run as Root when booted from LiveCD ??
    IOW - suppose I want to d/l a file and save it to another partition....or edit a text file on another FAT32 partition (all my HDD partitions are FAT/FAT32).
    Things I've tried - both before and after mounting the partition;
    right clicked the Desktop Icon for said partition | properties | "device tab", unticked "read only" -- also "permissions" tab | Advanced permissions, ticked ALL the boxes for owner, user, group.

...I have not yet tried changing "Ownership"
    User (knoppix, cannot be changed)
    Group (knoppix) -
    should I change Group to something other than knoppix ? like sudo perhaps ?

[[ s there a way I can run as Root when booted from LiveCD ??
    IOW - suppose I want to d/l a file and save it to another partition....or edit a text file on another FAT32 partition (all my HDD partitions are FAT/FAT32).
    ]]

--If you don't need a GUI, boot with boot: ' knoppix 2 ' == This boots the livecd into runlevel 2 do an " ls " on ( /etc/rc2.d ) to see which links get run, compare to /etc/rc5.d which is the default. But that is prolly a little advanced.

--When booting the CD normally, after the GUI comes up you merely have to hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a root prompt. Root prompts also exist on F2-F6; Alt-F7 gets you back to X. (This behavior is defined in /etc/inittab; see the "getty" lines.)

--Once you are root, try this:
    ' mkdir /mnt/tmp ' == Create a mount point
    ' mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/tmp -orw,uid=knoppix ' == Mount drive C so that the "knoppix" userid "owns" it (has all permissions)

--Then switch back ( alt-F7) and start a konsole / rxvt / xterm, and (as the knoppix user) type:
    ' touch /mnt/tmp/blah ' == Creates an empty file named blah on /mnt/tmp; this will establish that you have write permission to the drive as a regular user.

--See ' man mount ' for more info.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel

--If you don't need a GUI, boot with boot: ' knoppix 2 ' == This boots the livecd into runlevel 2 do an " ls " on ( /etc/rc2.d ) to see which links get run, compare to /etc/rc5.d which is the default. But that is prolly a little advanced.
    tried this - pretty kool and did cd /etc (then I see [/etc]) -- tried ' Edit rc2.d' but nada - did a ls -- nice colors which helped, because I forgot the exact name of the rc2.d DIR when I did this (K10xsession - ShellScript, i now know, but what to do when I'm there ??) - also how to reboot - or access/boot higher to init 5 ? (I used ctrl+alt+del, but knoppix doesn't like my power mgmt , and I have to hold the power button down for 4 sec, b/c everything shuts down, but the fan still spins and power LED remains ON - on the tower)

...so ls seems like the DOS DIR function.
    --When booting the CD normally, after the GUI comes up you merely have to hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a root prompt. Root prompts also exist on F2-F6; Alt-F7 gets you back to X. (This behavior is defined in /etc/inittab; see the "getty" lines.)
    Way kool - works great - EXCEPT on my keyboard it's Alt + F5 to return to X (yes - my keyboard is recognised correctly as 104 key - I changed it from the Generic 105key default using kmenu | run command kxconfig, while configuring my Display: nVidia Riva TNT2 and Monitor: Nec LCD 1280x1024).

I'm going to read up a bit more and then try these suggestions and edit this post (so I don't get the website timeout again

*edit 1- and I don't see /etc/inittab, I found init.d but no inittab inside

--Once you are root, try this:
    ' mkdir /mnt/tmp ' == Create a mount point
    ' mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/tmp -orw,uid=knoppix ' == Mount drive C so that the "knoppix" userid "owns" it (has all permissions)
    *edit 2 - done

--Then switch back ( alt-F7) and start a konsole / rxvt / xterm, and (as the knoppix user) type:
    ' touch /mnt/tmp/blah ' == Creates an empty file named blah on /mnt/tmp; this will establish that you have write permission to the drive as a regular user.

--See ' man mount ' for more info.
    *edit 3 - no go..I opened console and typed rxvt and tried xterm
    here's some results;
    http://photobucket.com/albums/a217/i...=snapshot2.png

*edit 4 .....hmmmm
    well then again maybe something DID occur after all (once I corrected the syntax) -- in Konqueror I now have;
    Hard Disc (hda1) [/mnt/hda1] (which can't be accessed anymore, and no + sign alongside) and
    Hard Disc (hda1) [/mnt/tmp] (which shows everything hda1 used to - my C:\ drive, and the empty Blah file)
    so before I reboot - can you tell me if my info is still intact ? IOW - is this what was "supposed" to happen ?? - if so, then I'd just make any changes I'd like in /mnt/tmp...correct ?
    When I reboot into Winblows..My C:\ will still be there....correct ?
    What would occur if I "Saved Knoppix Configuration" right now ?? would it Boot up the same as now when I boot into Knoppix, using knoppix26 myconf=/mnt/hda8 ??

Thanks for your time and explanation..I'm trying to keep the questions to a minimum - as you know, questions open the door to even many more questions

Member registered user
    Dave, who's helping me I figured I'd throw out some system info, in case it's pertinent

Using Knoppix 3.6 LiveCD and running 2.6.7 kernel (experimental at release date - 8/2004)

Intel PII 350MHz
    Intel 440bx
    192MB RAM
    nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB AGP (latest 41.09 drivers)
    Netgear NIC (Cable Modem/Router/Ethernet)
    Onboard Sound (Creative SoundBlaster AudioPCI 64D)
    3Com USRobotics PCI Voice/Data/Fax Winmodem (only used for telephony now)
    WD HDD (9.1GB, temporary)
    DVDROM
    CDRW

ps. I just found your homepage inside the linux commands *sticky here..very nice - I'll be reading a lot now

--Hmm, perhaps a visual aid would be helpful; you seem unclear on a few concepts.

As root, type ' mc ' == This gets you into the Midnight Commander, a Norton clone. You will see 2 panes; Tab switches between them. You can type commands at the bottom (to switch dirs, you can arrow-then-enter, or just type ' cd whatever '.)

Directories will be at the top, files below them.

[[ also how to reboot - or access/boot higher to init 5 ? ]]

--When you type ' shutdown ' or ' halt ', init goes to runlevel 0 ( /etc/rc0.d ) and runs the links there. If the link starts with K, it Kills that program / daemon; if it starts with S, it starts it - all in numerical order.

--If you type ' telinit 0 ' as root, it's pretty much the same as running ' shutdown -h now '.

--Runlevel 6 OTOH, is Reboot. So you really don't want to use either 0 or 6. Runlevel 4 is usually the user-defined stuff; for more info, see ' man init '.

[[ Then switch back ( alt-F7) and start a konsole / rxvt / xterm ]]
    ( Sorry, my bad there. Konsole, rxvt, and xterm are all pretty much the same thing -- they start a command shell -- but they have different looks, resource requirements, and capabilities. ) All you need to do is start Konsole, and then start typing commands.

[[ so before I reboot - can you tell me if my info is still intact ? IOW - is this what was "supposed" to happen ?? - if so, then I'd just make any changes I'd like in /mnt/tmp...correct ? ]]

--Yes and yes. /mnt/tmp is an arbitrary mount point ( you can call it anything you like ) and is just used to mount /dev/hda1 so you can work with the files there.

[[ When I reboot into Winblows..My C:\ will still be there....correct ? ]] == Yes

[[ What would occur if I "Saved Knoppix Configuration" right now ?? would it Boot up the same as now when I boot into Knoppix, using knoppix26 myconf=/mnt/hda8 ??
    ]] == I have no idea, I don't save my configs when I boot the CD; my stuff is all installed to HD.

--The best advice I can give you is:

o Read extensively about Linux

o Find friend(s) that know Linux and can help you in person

o Run Linux often You really have to "live in it" for a while to get used to it.

o Don't be afraid to experiment - BUT...

oo MAKE FREQUENT BACKUPS!!

=======

--Some links that should help you in your quest:

http://lwn.net/ == Linux Weekly News

http://linuxgazette.net/index.html == The REAL Linux Gazette ( the .com is not! )
    --Go thru and read the back issues, they're invaluable.

http://wolfrdr.tripod.com/linuxtips.html == My Linux Tips page

http://lugww.counter.li.org/ == Linux Users Groups Worldwide
    --I highly recommend you check this out and join a LUG in your area.

http://tldp.org/ == The Linux Doc Project ( Howto's, FAQs, etc. )

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/linux/ == Excellent resource for Linux books and articles.

Member registered user
    Thanks for all your help so far..
    especially for alleviating my fears on that ' mount /dev/tmp ' command (haven't rebooted yet) - I will NOT "Save Knoppix Config" now, but will try it some other time, when I'm ready to blow away a partition for good

Yes - I need to understand the 'concepts' of Unix/Linux (knowing the naming conventions, CLI switches (' -h ' as opposed to DIR /a /o:n as in DOS) and how to use them - and the way the directory structure works/mounts... that's a concept not seen in win) - I have never used them in the past, no programming exp, mostly just stuff picked up over the years of being self-taught and using technical books and www for hardware learning -- ask me how to do anything in 98, and I can help

Soon to be weened completely from MS shackles

wonderful info;
    I'm experimenting as I'm writing, but the questions will continue if I don't end it here, in this thread anyways (for now anyway) - I got us way off-topic, but that's ok by me

you'll be seeing me around alot

Doh!
    I previously wrote *edit 1- and I don't see /etc/inittab, I found init.d but no inittab inside
    Well - it turns out I couldn't find it b/c I was looking for a DIRECTORY, not a FILE ...Doh! this file DOES exist in /etc