Thread: moving from windows 98se to linux

moving from windows 98se to linux

hi,

i have decided to convert from windows to linux but haven't a clue about linux.

i've bought and run knoppix v3.9 from my cd rom with the intention of trying to get the hang of it before i install it to run on the hard drive. so far, i've only had the chance to run it a few times but the speed at which it does so is ridiculously slow so i hope it runs a great deal faster from the hard drive. now, after reading various entries in this forum, i've decided that knoppix is not exactly the best distribution to install on the hd and that i'd be better off installing kanotix or mepis instead. i've also read that knoppix v3.9 has a bug so am a bit wary of it.

i am totally mystified as to the linux termiology and would like to know if there is a good detailed book that can be bought in the uk that covers linux in general as opposed to one that deals specifically with a particular distribution such as "knoppix hacks".

i also have a number of questions which hopefully someone can help me with.
    1. what is a root's password (relating to knoppix v3.9)?
    2. is there a windows explorer programme equivilent in linux?
    3. how do i set internet settings and connections etc?
    4. how do i convert my keyboard back to uk english instead of us english?
    5. similarly, us english seems to be all over knoppix and i want it to be uk eiglish?
    6. can i still activate my previously generated office pro extensions such as .pub, .doc, .xls, .pps and .mdb files in linux?

perhaps some or all of these questions are answered in a book ... which is why i'm looking to buy one ... but i would appreciate any help please.

finally, is there a monthly linux magazine suitable that is available in the uk? i've heard of, but not read, linuxformat. is it any good for a very new convert?

my thanks in advance,

michael
    in scotland.

Senior Member registered user

Re: moving from windows 98se to linux

Quote Originally Posted by gm2fz
    1. what is a root's password (relating to knoppix v3.9)?
    'Root' is the super-user of a linux system which conceptually is the the same as a Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 'administrator' user. So 'root' has complete authoritative control of a linux system while any other user does not have administrative control. Getting the 'root' password would indictate the user will get administrative control of the system. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superuser

2. is there a windows explorer programme equivilent in linux?
    Its called konqueror and it is the small house icon on the task bar.

3. how do i set internet settings and connections etc?
    Knoppix should automatically detect most network cards & then attempt to get them on a netork via DHCP. The settings are different if you have dialup, cable, dsl, wireless or are just on a LAN. If you are having a difficulties with it, then please let us know who you get connected to the internet (cards, wire vs. wireless, router etc)

4. how do i convert my keyboard back to uk english instead of us english?
    Knoppix boots with a splash screen. At that splash screen you can enter codes which will force Knoppix to do certan things. Theses codes are known as Cheat Codes. The one you need it lang=uk, and you will boot the PC with:
    knoppix lang=uk

5. similarly, us english seems to be all over knoppix and i want it to be uk eiglish?
    If the lang=uk does not force it to load UK english, then also visit the KDE Control Center (like a windows control panel) located in the K menu. In it you can the your system's locale & nationalization settings including language.

6. can i still activate my previously generated office pro extensions such as .pub, .doc, .xls, .pps and .mdb files in linux?
    Knoppix has great compatibility with MS Word .doc, MS Excel .xls, MS Powerpoint .ppt. file. The office application used to edit those is called OpenOffice.org which is on the Knoppix CD and can be found at the website of the same name. Is .pub for Publisher? MS Access .mdb and Publisher compatitbility is in most cases not good. There are people & projects that are actively working on creating a MS Access replacement, but I could not recommend it to new users just yet. As for a Publisher program replacement, there is a desktop publishing program called Scribus which does many of the same things as Publisher.

Senior Member registered user
    hi,

i have decided to convert from windows to linux but haven't a clue about linux.

i've bought and run knoppix v3.9 from my cd rom with the intention of trying to get the hang of it before i install it to run on the hard drive. so far, i've only had the chance to run it a few times but the speed at which it does so is ridiculously slow so i hope it runs a great deal faster from the hard drive. now, after reading various entries in this forum, i've decided that knoppix is not exactly the best distribution to install on the hd and that i'd be better off installing kanotix or mepis instead. i've also read that knoppix v3.9 has a bug so am a bit wary of it.
    I am currently helping another user choose a distro. Please read our discussion starting here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=87999#87999. If you want to answer the questions, then you can answer them here in your threads.

i am totally mystified as to the linux termiology and would like to know if there is a good detailed book that can be bought in the uk that covers linux in general as opposed to one that deals specifically with a particular distribution such as "knoppix hacks".
    perhaps some or all of these questions are answered in a book ... which is why
    i'm looking to buy one ... but i would appreciate any help please.
    This thread has a listing of good books http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18386

finally, is there a monthly linux magazine suitable that is available in the uk? i've heard of, but not read, linuxformat. is it any good for a very new convert?
    There is a fantastic free new PDF downloadable magazine designed for newbies, Tux magazine. See http://www.tuxmagazine.com/ and http://www.tuxmagazine.com/xstatic/subs

You mentioned you are in scotland. Any chance there might be other linux users near you? A LUG (Linux User Group) is a great place to get local help. A forum for Linux & UK related things is http://forums.lugradio.org/

hi and many thanks for your reply.

i'll have a good look at the links you suggested later on this morning and your other answers will keep me happy. i'm not too worried about access at the moment as i don't have any .mdb files right now but i do have 109 very active ms publisher 2002 .pub files. from what you said, once i'm totally working linux, these will become completely inaccesible which will be a bit of a blow although if scribus is compatible with ms publisher, that will remove the problem. fingers crossed on that one!!

to be honest, i've been with microsoft since i started on computers in 1990 and now use win98se, together with firefox and eudora pro. over recent months, i've been becoming more and more dis-enchanted with ms which in turn, has swung me towards linux. now it's just a case of getting the right distribution up and running and learning all about it.

my thanks once again and i'll keep you posted.

regards,

michael.