Thread: Sitecom WL-517 and Knoppix 3.9

Sitecom WL-517 and Knoppix 3.9

Hello, well I'm new to linux as I'm used to windows but I thought I'd try knoppix 3.9 (from the live cd). Well my problem is that I cannot get my internet or network to work on both my main computer and laptop. I'm using a Sitecom WL-517 wireless broadband kit which consists of a WL-112 wireless network pc card 54mbps which is in the laptop, WL-113 wireless network USB adaptor 54mbps which is in my main computer, and a WL-114 wireless broadband router 54mbps. Sitecom do not have any linux drivers for the wireless broadband kit I'm using so I don't know whether it will be possible or not to use this kit with knoppix to connect to both my network (between the two computers like on windows) and the internet at all.

I'd appreciate any help you can give even if it is to tell me stop trying it will never work.

Adam.

Administrator Site Admin-
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    so what u sayin? the wireless kit is useless for knoppix and i should get an ethernet cable to link the 2 computers together and network that way?

Senior Member registered user
    Realize that I don't have any wireless HW or haven't used wireless HW in over 3 years but Google searching is our friend. See http://www.google.com/search?q=WL-112+linux
    Then see http://linux-wless.passys.nl/ and scroll down the page and look for sitecom WL-112.
    This will point to a link to a drivers page http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I wish you sucess.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Wireless is useless is a bit of an overstatement. I finally got one of my 802.11b wireless acrds working with Knoppix 3.8, but the other two 802.11b cards are still not recognized. 802.11g is even worse. The manufacturers and chip makers are not helping, they keep the hardware specs and interface specs secret, and, as you say your case is, only release drivers for Windows. And while there is a Linux "driver" release in binary for for my card that Knoppix does not include, it's about 2 million bytes in size of mystery code. That's larger than many complete operating systems! I certainly don't expect that Knoppix can include many of such absurd drivers in the kernel. If you read through past posts in this forum you'll see that it's been a long uphill battle getting anything to work in the wireless world. So I would suggest either reading through past posts and buying a card that is known to be Linux friendly, or jacking up.

Right, here is my status, thankyou both for your replies. Thankyou UnderScore for the research and I was hoping that someone may know of a linux driver and you have pointed me to it. The website which had a list of all the wireless devices and where to get there drivers from worked last night but not this morning and I didn't get time to use it last night or send a reply. http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads - which driver should i download as there are different betas etc and also as I am new to both linux and running an OS off a CD I'll need help on installing the driver and possibly a way of keepin the driver installed instead of having to install it every time I use knoppix.

Adam

I believe its the RT2500 driver i want as i found a link telling what hardware the RT2500 driver supports. So all I need now is how to install it in knoppix.