Thread: Network setting during install - newbie

Junior Member registered user

Network setting during install - newbie

Hi... I used Knoppix and decided to install it no my old Presario laptop to learn. I was able to install it fine but I cant connect to my network. If I run Knoppix of the CD I can do it just fine. So I'm probably setting up the network settings wrong during install. My laptop has a Linksys USB ethernet and a Lucent Wireless Orinoco Silver card.

What should the settings be? These are the ones I entered:

* Start a mail server (smail) at boot? (No)
    * Start sshd at boot? (No)
    * Start Samba at boot? (No)
    * Start kdm at boot? (No)

Then I was asked for a host name and to select the network device. I had two options for the device: (eth0 and eth1) so I typed enter on eth0 and I said Yes to DHCP.

<update> I reinstalled Knoppix on the HD, but this time I chose eth1 and saidl Yes to DHCP. Still can't connect to the net... why does it work from the CD but not from the HD? </update>

What am I missing? Thanks !!!

Senior Member registered user
    Edit the file /etc/network/interfaces and make sure you have the line:
    Code:
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Then /etc/init.d/networking restart to restart the network. All this as root of course.

It works from the CD because that is the way it is setup when you install to HD you get Debian and it does not start dhcp on the interface by default.

Thank You... I'll give this a try and post back with the results.

Still can't connect to the net. I tried all the steps detailed above and it didn't work. I also tried using eth1 instead of eth0 and even rebooted.

Any other suggestions why I cant connect to the net after a hd install but I can after booting with the CD?

Thanks
    Tovi

I did a quick seach and found this thread which might help.

Thanks for the tip, but what about my USB ethernet? Sorry, I should've been more specific: Here at home I dont use my Wireless Orinoco Silver Card, I connect with the USB ethernet adaptor, which as I have mentioned before, works fine when booting with the CD.

Thanks again.
    Tovi

Boot from the CD and check all the settings for the USB ethernet. ie what does it say in the Kmenu -> System -> Info Center -> USB Devices, check in the /etc/network/interfaces, do an ifconfig (in console window) to see what settings it uses when it works check the same on HD install to see what is different.

Do an ifconfig on the HD install first to confirm the eth0 is actually up and running if not it may just be as simple as ifup eth0 to start the interface.

I see re-reading your post you had two choices when you set up the card during install you must have had both running take the Orinoco out and try to install with just the USB running as a last resort.

Finally got it working. Did it before I read your post Stephen but thanks a lot anyway. I'm gonna try out all you said to keep learning.

I'm gonna post what I did in case more newbies like me come here with the same problem.

I reinstalled the OS into the HD with the following settings:

* Start a mail server (smail) at boot? (No)
    * Start sshd at boot? (No)
    * Start Samba at boot? (No)
    * Start kdm at boot? (Yes)

Then I was asked for a host name and to select the network device. I had two options for the device: (eth0 and eth1) so I typed enter on eth1 and I said Yes to DHCP. I did this because I read the boot sequence and noticed that eth0 was setup together with PCMCIA drivers, so I assumed that eth1 had to be the USB ethernet device.

After booting up, I went to edit the file /etc/network/interfaces and made sure I had the line:
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then /etc/init.d/networking restart to restart the network.

For some reason that someone could probably explain to me later, this worked. Why did this work with eth0 when I chose eth1 during the HD install? Maybe I'll find out some day.

Thanks for all the help Stephen !!!!!!!!!!!! You showed me where to tinker to get this working. I'm loving this.

Your welcome, it's probably eth0 because it is the only device you are using to connect with, dhcp is scanning for a connection and finds it there first thus its eth0 just a guess on my part. Enjoy

Well, there are somethings I've noticed that I'd like to fix if possible.

1. If I log on as knoppix user, I can't get the network to work. If I run /etc/init.d/networking restart I get an error message. I can only use the net as root.

2. Whenever I reboot or log on as root I have to run /etc/init.d/networking restart or the network card won't be detected. Only after doing this can I browse the net. What do I need do to set this up to start automatically?

3. I cant get my sound card working. I'm on a Compaq Presari 1681. I ran sndconfig but nothing is detected. Any ideas? Im not user what soundcard I'm using. I know Google is my friend so I found out its some type of ESS but thats about it.

4. How do I mount the CD-ROM and Floppy as root?

5. I tried to connect my Digital Olympus C-700UZ Camera and didn't get it working either.

Just an update, but if anyone knows how to correct any of them i'd be really greatful.

Tovi