Thread: Knoppix 3.9 strange installer bug?

Junior Member registered user

Knoppix 3.9 strange installer bug?

To install Knoppix into HDD, boot the Knoppix LiveCD and then run the knoppix-installer script is the most straight forward way.

In the past, I mean pre-3.8 releases, I can run this script under a root shell and finish the whole installation without any troubles. However, in 3.9, if I run it under a root shell, everything seems fine until I choose "Start installation" -> "- debian: Debian-like system (recommended)". The installer drops me to a "Usage for Xdialog" message box. When I try to click "next" in order to continue the installation, it eventually quit the installation for no reasons.

Alternatively, if I run this script as knoppix (a normal user) by issuing "sudo knoppix-installer" at the shell prompt, then everything goes smoothly.

Does any one have the same experience?

Senior Member registered user
    su & sudo functionality has been slightly altered in version 3.8.0 and up. In practically all cases, the user will never know anything has changed. I ran into a small issue with sudo when I tried to remaster 3.8 and I believe that the knoppix-installer script is one of those exceptions. I have re-written the HD Install HowTo http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo to indicate that it should be run from a normal user shell, and not the root-shell.

I have done everything in these instructions to get 3.9 to install to the drive and it still sends me into the xdialog, when I click continue it goes back to the console and that's it. then I would have to start all over again with the same results.

I have met all the requirements, I used QTparted to partition 3gb (set active), and a 512 linux swap space partition.

It keeps saying the requirments have not been met.??????????

Has anyone done a sucessful 3.9 hard drive install???

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by napatec
    Has anyone done a sucessful 3.9 hard drive install???
    What I did is simply boot the CD, as knoppix (a normal user), and then issue "sudo knoppix-installer" at the terminal prompt.

thanks,

I did it both ways, from root and as knoppix user and it always ended up at the xdialog. I wish I knew what I was supposed to do with the xdialog, what it's purpose was.

The next thing I tried was to download version 4.0.2 cd , it does the same thing when installing as root or knoppix user.

On the third day ( tonight ) I gave up and decided to install a real linux ( debian sarge 3.1 ) it installed perfectly, updated all it's packages etc.

However on reboot I can only login at the text console, I can't figure out how to start a window gui. I have read about six hours of documentation and posted to the debian forum.

Now I am downloading a different distro to try. I have worked with computers since 1989 starting with macs then went to pc when windows 3.1 was released. I have used the knoppix live cds for years but this is the first attempt at a real install.

I see why so many still use windows, I am trying to get all my customers off of windows but I look pretty stupid cause I can't even do it myself. I have about a week into getting it to run from the hard drive with nothing but wasted time to show for it. Here it is 3am again

Quote Originally Posted by napatec
    On the third day ( tonight ) I gave up and decided to install a real linux ( debian sarge 3.1 ) it installed perfectly, updated all it's packages etc.
    Good choise.

However on reboot I can only login at the text console, I can't figure out how to start a window gui. I have read about six hours of documentation and posted to the debian forum.
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=224547
    If startx doesn't work, install a login manager, like "apt-get install gdm" although you probably get xdm with installation of x. startx also tells you the errors if any. Also look in ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/XFree86.0.log