Thread: installing knoppix

installing knoppix

This distro would rock bigtime if it had a program like the one in SimplyMepis for installing to the hard drive...why don`t we do that?It would make me very Any chance of that happening in the future?I`ve tried lots of linux`s but the real race seems to be mepis vs knoppix for the leader...right now mepis has the edge due to the ease of installing(Very easy)I really like the desktop in knoppix 3.9If there was a similar program to the mepis installer then I`m sure knoppix would leave all of the other linux distros far far in the dust...PLEASE PLEASE put something like that in the next knoppix4.0 ...I would do just about anything to see that happen...OK?I`ve been using mepis for a couple`o months and I really like it(Awesome forum action there).I think I would like knoppix 4.0 better if it is anything like knoppix 3.9...even if there was a script that was not techy to follow for hd install...ok guess I`ll cruise the forums here and see whats what and what I can learn....see yas...thanks for any help

Senior Member registered user
    We are not the Knoppix developers or Knoppix beta-testers. The knoppix-installer script was created by Fabian Franz and is now a collaborative effort between Fabian, Klaus Knopper, and Kano of the distro Kanotix. You can contact the developers at their mailing list at http://sympa.linuxtag.net/wws.

The knoppix-installer is documented at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Installer and at HowTo guide at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo.

System stability & ease of use/administration of a Knoppix HD install has been discussed in depth at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=87176#87176. Read that & find out why many of us do not recommend a HD installation.

@knopnoob2005: I know very well Mepis and Knoppix. First of all, Knoppix is not good for hdd installation. Kanotix is better. Second, installation of Knoppix / Kanotix is (for me) easier than this of Mepis - you have overview of everything before start of installation. Some things are different and you can setup and configure on some other way, that's all. BTW, did you see this: http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1 - it is a bit big and slow, but it can be save on hdd.

Quote Originally Posted by tdjokic
    @knopnoob2005: I know very well Mepis and Knoppix. First of all, Knoppix is not good for hdd installation. Kanotix is better. Second, installation of Knoppix / Kanotix is (for me) easier than this of Mepis - you have overview of everything before start of installation. Some things are different and you can setup and configure on some other way, that's all. BTW, did you see this: http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1 - it is a bit big and slow, but it can be save on hdd.
    Hello...I did see the irongeek stuff and I did install knoppix 3.9 on my hard drive.Only a few bugs.number one is that I can`t download libdvdcss2 or dvdrip or dvdbackup or libdvdread3 or libdvdplay0..tried and tried but no luck...I noticed that there weren`t as many sources on the repository list as in mepis...could that be it? Actually I installed it twice...first time I did the beginner install and all of a sudden my sound card was not detected any more.so right away I did a re-install doing the exact cd copy instead of the debian one..sound card worked again only there was no sign in and I had no idea what the root password was.I could get into root access by clicking on the penguin and opening up a root shell,but it seemed too hokey.I like to be able to get into root the normal way.I do like the look of the desktop.does anybody know what steps to take to cure my op problems?All I want is to be able to back up my boughten dvd`s for safekeeping.And I like to watch my dvd collection on my computer.I couldn`t do that with knoppix so I re-installed mepis 3.3.In no time at all I was watching dvd`s again.How does one get these programs onto a knoppix box?If I can do this I would re-install knoppix on the hard drive.That`s what you call good clean fun...lol

Quote Originally Posted by tdjokic
    Wow..you say that Kanotix is easier to install than Mepis?I`d really have to see that one for myself.Mepis has the best install package that I have ever seen,with five different ways to install:aveage install ,dual booting,custom install,merging home and root,re-installing on custom partitions...the list goes on...Anyways I`m going to re-install knoppix on mt hard drive just as soon as we can figure out(or someone just tell me)how to get libdvdcss2,libdvdread3,libdvdplay0,vdvrip,dvdbacku p onto my knoppix box.these are the programs that i used while running mepis to play my dvd`s and rip dvd`s.Untill that time it`s Mepis all the way.I just finished trying the new mepis 3.3.1-1 or something (released in june2005 I think)didn`t think it was much better than 2004 mepis(I actually like 2004 Simply mepis 3.3 the best,I think I would loike knoppix a bit better if I can get my programs to enable dvd watching and copying)I really like the look of the 3.9 desktop.Yup it`s hard drive install or nothing for me.I don`t know how anybody could run a live cd all of the time.how do you play a cd or a dvd.It`s so aesy to install knoppix on the hard drive(Irongeek helped a lot with his tutorial) that I don`t know what all of the fuss is about.And Mepis is even easier to install(on the hard drive) than any others that I have found...Actually I think I may set a dual boot with Mepis and knoppix,that might be fun for a while.Don`t forget my idea of fun is loading a new system on the hard drive and trying it out,even for only a few minutes sometimes.In the last month I have tried Damn Small Linux(didn`t like it)knoppix 3.6(not bad)mepispro(pretty good)simplymepis 3.3(Best one so far)SimplyMepis 3.3.1-1 (June 2005)I like 2004 SimplyMepis 3.3 the best,but I think I will like knoppix even better(On the hard drive and programs I want in place) ok...nuff for now ,I tend to ramble on now and then....have a good one...k

Quote Originally Posted by knopnoob2005
    Wow..you say that Kanotix is easier to install than Mepis?I`d really have to see that one for myself.Mepis has the best install package that I have ever seen,with five different ways to install:aveage install ,dual booting,custom install,merging home and root,re-installing on custom partitions...the list goes on...Anyways I`m going to re-install knoppix on mt hard drive just as soon as we can figure out(or someone just tell me)how to get libdvdcss2,libdvdread3,libdvdplay0,vdvrip,dvdbacku p onto my knoppix box.these are the programs that i used while running mepis to play my dvd`s and rip dvd`s.Untill that time it`s Mepis all the way.I just finished trying the new mepis 3.3.1-1 or something (released in june2005 I think)didn`t think it was much better than 2004 mepis(I actually like 2004 Simply mepis 3.3 the best,I think I would loike knoppix a bit better if I can get my programs to enable dvd watching and copying)I really like the look of the 3.9 desktop.Yup it`s hard drive install or nothing for me.I don`t know how anybody could run a live cd all of the time.how do you play a cd or a dvd.It`s so aesy to install knoppix on the hard drive(Irongeek helped a lot with his tutorial) that I don`t know what all of the fuss is about.And Mepis is even easier to install(on the hard drive) than any others that I have found...Actually I think I may set a dual boot with Mepis and knoppix,that might be fun for a while.Don`t forget my idea of fun is loading a new system on the hard drive and trying it out,even for only a few minutes sometimes.In the last month I have tried Damn Small Linux(didn`t like it)knoppix 3.6(not bad)mepispro(pretty good)simplymepis 3.3(Best one so far)SimplyMepis 3.3.1-1 (June 2005)I like 2004 SimplyMepis 3.3 the best,but I think I will like knoppix even better(On the hard drive and programs I want in place) ok...nuff for now ,I tend to ramble on now and then....have a good one...k
    Step 1.) Your post is a mess. Please use the ENTER key & make paragraphs.

Step 2.) In order to get those DVD libs & programs, you will need to add a new repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file. Visit http://debian.video.free.fr/ and toward the bottom of the the page, it shows you the line you need to add.

Step 3.) Run your package utility of choice and perform an update of the HD package lists: aptitude update, apt-get update

Step 4.) Then run your package utility of choice (apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, etc.) and install those packages.