Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unique Hostname

Firnsy,
    Can you please post or send the modification to the init script? And also let me know how I integrate it with the Knoppix DVD image? I have two machines side by side, each running molecular modeling software with Knoppix as OS, and it is a pain rebooting, as I have to 'su' then 'hostname Athlon64' BEFORE I start Samba. That does work for me, however, and it allows the Windoze boxes to see seperate machines on the network neighborhood.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by trevmar
    Firnsy, Can you please post or send the modification to the init script?
    Same request: could you please post your update of linuxrc ?
    I would like to add this functionality in my initrd_iso.gz ramdisk boot file.
    I can obviously reinvent the wheel but I am lazy by nature...
    Thanks, Gilles

Moderator Moderator

hostname= cheatcode

Done !
    I modified the linuxrc boot script to setup the hostname at boot time (kernel cheatcode: hostname=mymachine)
    Please follow the link below to get the updated minirt_host.gz ramdisk file:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=96827#96827
    Please give it a try and give me some feedback.
    Thanks,
    Gilles

Member registered user
    Alternatively, I posted my patch in the Customising/Remastering section http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22301

It expands a little further by providing an autogenerating option which will append the MACADDRESS to at the end of the knoppix string.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by firnsy
    Alternatively, I posted my patch in the Customising/Remastering section http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22301
    It expands a little further by providing an autogenerating option which will append the MACADDRESS to at the end of the knoppix string.
    Thank you very much !
    I will try to add your macaddress hostname option when I have some time.

The solution I have chosen do not require a remaster of the 689MB KNOPPIX file
    but only the use of the new 2.4MB minirt_host.gz boot ramdisk.
    It will work "as is" with the official KNOPPIX file or the official Knoppix ISO cd/dvd image.
    cf: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=96827#96827

Technical description:
    ==============
    The trick was to find a way (using the linuxrc boot script) to have
    the hostname updated way after the end of the execution of the linuxrc boot script
    and after the end of the execution of the knoppix-autoconfig auto detection script.
    (The knoppix-autoconfig script is responsible for the hardcoded knoppix hostname)
    The knoppix-autoconfig script file being located within the 700MB KNOPPIX file
    an update of this file requires a remaster, which in my case, was not desirable.

To achieve this, the linuxrc boot script overwrite the content of the file /etc/hostname
    with the hostname provided in the kernel command line (after the UNIONfs has been mounted)
    Then, to force Knoppix to read this file after the linuxrc boot script and the knoppix-autoconfig
    auto detection script have run and setup the machine hostname to the hardcoded knoppix name,
    the linuxrc create a soft link (ln -s /etc/init.d/hostname.sh /etc/rcS.d/S01hostname.sh)
    in order to have the init process to launch the execution of the hostname.sh script
    which is used to update the machine hostname using the previously updated /etc/hostname file.
    CQFD.

Best Regards,
    Gilles

Moderator Moderator
    Hello,
    If someone is till interested in that, I now have added the option to use dynamic hostnames:
    hostname=auto-clock -> knoppix-200512031753 (date+time)
    hostname=auto-mac -> knoppix-123456789012 (eth0 mac address)
    cf: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=96986#96986
    Cheers,
    Gilles

Brilliant

I love it do you not?:I:I

ruymbeke,
    I have changed the minirt.gz on my Knoppix 4.0.2 distribution DVD to your 25 Dec 2005 version of minirt-usb2.gz

when I give the boot string 'knoppix hostname=Athlon64' the system boots OK. The hostname is Athlon64

but Samba is awfully slow. If I select a volume from my Windows 2000 Pro machine it takes maybe 2 minutes to log in, and then another 2 minutes to show me files.

when I give the command 'su' I get the following error message:
    'sudo: unable to lookup Athlon64 via gethostbyname()'

I guess I can live without su, but have you any idea what I can do to speed up the Samba access?

Thanks for all you are doing for the community,
    Trevor

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by trevmar
    ruymbeke,
    I have changed the minirt.gz on my Knoppix 4.0.2 distribution DVD to your 25 Dec 2005 version of minirt-usb2.gz

when I give the boot string 'knoppix hostname=Athlon64' the system boots OK. The hostname is Athlon64

but Samba is awfully slow. If I select a volume from my Windows 2000 Pro machine it takes maybe 2 minutes to log in, and then another 2 minutes to show me files.

when I give the command 'su' I get the following error message:
    'sudo: unable to lookup Athlon64 via gethostbyname()'

I guess I can live without su, but have you any idea what I can do to speed up the Samba access?

Thanks for all you are doing for the community,
    Trevor
    The reason for the error is that the /etc/hosts file does not have the machine name assigned to the local ip (127.0.0.1), from what I can determine, ruymbeke's method changes the hostname but does not modify the /etc/hosts file which is required.

Yes, of course, Firnsy, thanks for reminding me
    I will set up the hosts file manually for now

Thanks again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast