Thread: Linux version of Corel Painter

Member registered user

Linux version of Corel Painter

I was wondering of a free substutute for Corel Painter that you can use on a Linux computer, or ever Windows or Mac OS X.

Senior Member registered user
    If I understand Corel Painter, it is more a digital painting application & less of a pixel editor/manipulator like Adobe Photoshop.
    The only Linux app that I know of that is approaching painting style of functionality is KDE's Krita http://www.koffice.org/krita/
    A example screenshot and a blog of one of the main Krita developers http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi/hacking/krita

Corel Paint

Corel did, at one time offer a free version of Photo Paint for Linux. It was also included with the Corel Version of Linux that they offered some years ago. Corel has lost their desire to support Linux and most of their Linux products just faded away into oblivion. However, all is not lost if you wish to find a copy of it. There are a few links out there that appear to offer it for sale or download. Try http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multi...int-3947.shtml . For a direct link to the 178Meg file try here: ftp://mirror.linuxsoft.cz/pool/104/9...INT9Lnx.tar.gz I have not tried this download version, but the file is there. No guarantees.

You can also go to www.linux.org and search for the Corel version of Linux. It is in the UNMAINTAINED status category, so be sure to check the box to include unmaintained versions when doing a search. One of the Mirrors, I think it was Planetmirror.com had the files available for download. Somehow I seem to remember them having the Photo Paint or Photo Draw file there as well. Planetmirror is currently busy, so I can't seem to log in to verify that right now. I would have provided the link if I was able. Other links to see are old and the links to obtain the file are no longer valid, but the info is good.

http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/2573/1/

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php...3-10-004-05-PR

Another way to find it might be to find a copy of the old CorelLinux. I'm sure thare might be a few around somewhere and it should be rather inexpensive. I still like free, though, so poke around and you never know what you might find deep in the cobwebs of some ftp site.

I was able to verify that the old CorelLinux distro is still up on PlanetMirror. It can be found at ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/corel and a version of Corel PhotoPaint and Wordperfect for Linux can be found there. CorelLinux was a Debian based distro that is discontinued and now is half a decade out of date. I have not tried these files and can't say whether they work or not. I have a set of the Original Corel Deluxe Retail Distro disks. It has all the toys found on PlanetMirror and quite a bit more.

I hope this helps. I know it's a month after the original post, but I didn't see the post until last week.