Thread: how to use knoppix 3.8 to write to ntfs?

Junior Member registered user

how to use knoppix 3.8 to write to ntfs?

hello all,

i've got knoppix 3.8 and would very much like to use it to remove files in windows xp. i see some postings saying you can do it using a utility not available in 3.8's k menu. its called captive NTFS. does it work, and can i get it on 3.8 or should i downgrade to an earlier version. if so, where would i find the older version.

thanks for your help

--dave

Senior Member registered user
    Knoppix 3.8.x or 3.9 does not have Captive NTFS. Development of Captive NTFS has stalled & seems to not be updated to the latest kernel. Do not attempt to write or delete files using Knoppix without the use of Captive NTFS. Doing so might completely wreck the NTFS filesystem.

WARNING! There is ALWAYS some risk of losing data. Please ALWAYS make sure that you have a working backup of your important data prior to experimenting with ANY new software, no matter if it is Windows, Linux or anything else.

If I recall correctly Knoppix 3.7 does have captive NTFS. It is not available on many of the mirrors but you can find it here.
    http://ftp.tpnet.pl/vol/d6/knoppix/

Administrator Site Admin-
    You should consider that captive was most likely removed for a reason. As far as I can tell it doesn't really work. From all I have read (I've never used it and I have not heard any of the reasons for removing it from the developers), it still can destroy a NTFS partition, it just may take a few more writes for this to happen.

This is a design choice by Microsoft and they seem to have put a lot of effort into making sure that the NTFS system can't be written to safely by Linux. I expect they would also like to see that you can't even read the disk and recover from crashes with Linux, but it's harder to make Linux corrupt something if it's in read-only mode.

You best bet is to recover what you need with Knoppix and then delete everything and do a complete fresh install, the typical solution for many Microsoft problems. Of course, that install doesn't have to include Microsoft software ....

Junior Member registered user

Any beginner projects to familiarize with linux?

I see, so no luck there. I really do like this platform. And have bought a couple books on knoppix. any advice on how to get my hands into linux a little deeper? i can use the os for internet, mail, and office apps, so far. but what about all those cool apps with vauge names i don't understand? any help here? i know its a Very generalo question, but i'm open to anything here, just help me make the jump, please to this great penguin OS :P