Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem: GX620 boot from CD problem

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Problem: GX620 boot from CD problem

Quote Originally Posted by sid_galt
    Edit: I hadn't downloaded the md5 and asc files. Now I have downloaded them. Right now I have five files on my PC,
    KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso.md5
    KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso.md5.asc
    KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso.sha1
    KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso.sha1.asc
    MD5SUM

Which one do I burn on to the CD and how? The FAQ only seems to tell how to burn the ISO file onto the CD.
    You don't burn any of those 5 tiny files. They are for verifying a valid download (just using one md5 file is fine, there are multiple files to accomodate multiple ways to check the ISO). You burn the ISO. It's covered very well in the downloading FAQ. What part is not clear?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by jkusters
    Tried to boot with debug, and I get a prompt at which I cannot type anything. I checked the MD5 of the ISO and it matched. I suspect it is something paticular to this model of Dell.
    From what I've read about the machine, it does not have PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse. Instead it uses USB. Therein may lie the problem. If you boot with the "nousb" cheatcode, e.g. failsafe, or you get a prompt that requires typing before the USB drivers get loaded, e.g. debug (just a guess), then I would imagine your keyboard and mouse will not work.

So, my conclusion is that one cannot use the debug cheatcode unless you have a PS/2 keyboard. Can someone please refute or verify that conclusion?

BTW, what error are you having that prevents you from booting Knoppix using the defaults? Are you referring to the "DriveReady ..." errors?

Regards,
    - Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    BTW, what error are you having that prevents you from booting Knoppix using the defaults? Are you referring to the "DriveReady ..." errors?
    Yes, and then an eventual kernel panic.

The machine indeed has no PS/2 ports. Only USB ports. I get the same sequence on all three machines.

It starts off booting, and I see two penguins. Normal start up commences, but immediately after the "setting paths..." message, a set of error messages start scrolling up the screen (happily the two penguins remain in place to keep me company). I do see other messages interspersed with the error messages but they fly up the screen too quickly to be able to read them.

The error messages consist mainly of the following:

hdc: ATAPI reset complete
    hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 21932
    hdc: drive not ready for command

Then, the Kernel panic:
    cloop: Read error at pos 8233652 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 28814 bytes lost.
    cloop: error -3 uncompressiong block 745 65536/0/28814/0 8233652-8262466
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(1,3)

The optical drive, which I assume it's assigning to hdc, is a DVD-ROM, CD R/RW.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    JOhn.

Administrator Site Admin-
    If it is the USB keybard that is causing the problem, then I doubt that it will be fixed in Knoppix. I'm not clear of how one types in any cheat codes before the USB support has been loaded though.

Manufacturers need to be given feedback that such short sighted design choices make systems non-standard and are not accepted by the user. On a related matter I have a friend who has a DVI based video display and bought a very high end video card with both VGA and DVI output. Unfortunately he found out that the DVI wasn't on by default and had to be enabled by drive software before it would work, so he made the store buy the card back and went with a different brand. Such a stupid design choice not only locks out users who are using an OS other than Windows, but it even stopped my friend from doing basic BIOS setup (can't access the BIOS if the display isn't enabled by some damn Windows driver yet). If the manufacturers buy back enough such bad design choices they will stop doing this to us; if they get no negative feedback from customers they will just be more inclined to take such short sighted short cuts in the future.

Any thoughts?
    What is itching in the back of my mind is that there are two HW-related issues: the keyboard via USB and the CD-ROM via SATA(?). (Is the CD-ROM using SATA?) Ideally, it would be nice to separate the two issues. Let's see if we can get the keyboard working. Boot with

boot: debug usb-handoff -b 3

This is just a guess from reading the kernel parameters. Did you get to stage 1 and were you able to type?

Regards,
    - Robert

Boot with

boot: debug usb-handoff -b 3

This is just a guess from reading the kernel parameters. Did you get to stage 1 and were you able to type?
    Well, I got to stage 1, but cannot type anything. I'll have to look at the cheatsheet again and see if I can find other parameters that might get me to a usaable stage 1.

Thanks for your help!

JOhn.

I'll have to look at the cheatsheet again and see if I can find other parameters that might get me to a usaable stage 1.
    Although you cannot use the keyboard, you can get to stage 1. That means that the linux kernel can load. The question is at what point does it have a problem and why. Naturally, stepping through the boot process would be much easier with a functioning keyboard. Perhaps you can boot with all the cheatcodes that failsafe uses except the "nousb" cheatcode so that your keyboard will work:

boot: knoppix acpi=off atapicd noacpi noagp noapic noapm nodhcp nodma nofirewire nofstab nopcmcia noscsi nosound pnpbios=off vga=normal xmodule=vesa -b 1

Of course, you could probably shorten that to those cheatcodes that only deal with those that affect the disk since that's what seems to be causing the problem:

boot: knoppix acpi=off atapicd noacpi noapic noapm nodma nofirewire nofstab nopcmcia noscsi pnpbios=off -b 1

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org/

Of course, you could probably shorten that to those cheatcodes that only deal with those that affect the disk since that's what seems to be causing the problem:

boot: knoppix acpi=off atapicd noacpi noapic noapm nodma nofirewire nofstab nopcmcia noscsi pnpbios=off -b 1
    As a variation on the above, I just tried booting on a machine with a USB-only keyboard with these boot commands:

boot: failsafe usb-handoff -b 1
    boot: failsafe -b 1
    boot: failsafe 1
    boot: knoppix usb-handoff -b 1
    boot: knoppix -b 1

Unfortunately, I was unable to use the keyboard with any of them. The only succesful boot command was this:

boot: knoppix 1

This suggests two items:

1) that in order to use a USB keyboard, the USB module needs to be loaded
    2) the USB module is not loaded until the init process runs /etc/knoppix-autoconfig

... which means that if you want to try the commands in the previous post, you probably should NOT use the "-b" cheatcode.

BTW, this was all using Knoppix 3.8.2.

Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Tried the following:

debug acpi=off atapicd noacpi noagp noapic noapm nodhcp nodma nofirewire nofstab nopcmcia noscsi nosound pnpbios=off vga=normal xmodule=vesa 1

I wound up back at the stage 1 prompt (#) but unable to type.

Replacing "debug" with "knoppix" results in the same scroll of error messages reported previously.

This is with 3.9, downloaded earlier this week.

Vexing!

JOhn.

I wound up back at the stage 1 prompt (#) but unable to type.
    Right. Don't use the "debug" label. Use only the "knoppix" label. Debug will pause during the boot process, which is futile for you since the USB module is not loaded until after stage 3.

Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast