Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem: GX620 boot from CD problem

Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    Quote Originally Posted by jkusters
    I wound up back at the stage 1 prompt (#) but unable to type.
    Right. Don't use the "debug" label. Use only the "knoppix" label. Debug will pause during the boot process, which is futile for you since the USB module is not loaded until after stage 3.
    Yeah, forgot to mention (and later went back and edited my post) that I also tried "knoppix" followed by the same parameters which resulted in the same set of scrolling messages followed by the kernel panic.

I haven't tried any other flavors of linux since what I'm really looking for is something just like knoppix that runs off the CD. The ultimate purpose is a cheap-man's ghost solution, of which the first step is getting something to boot.

Thanks for your help!

JOhn.

Senior Member registered user
    I haven't tried any other flavors of linux since what I'm really looking for is something just like knoppix that runs off the CD. The ultimate purpose is a cheap-man's ghost solution, of which the first step is getting something to boot.
    From a bit of Googling, Linux will run just fine on the machine ... from the hard drive. Apparently, linux doesn't have support for SATA CD-ROMs, yet, which this machine uses. Also, Knoppix isn't compiled with the USB modules so that you could use your keyboard. If either worked, you'd be set.

Some options to try:

1) If the mobo has a normal ATA (IDE) conection, then try adding an ATA CD-ROM and booting from that.
    2) Try kanotix: http://kanotix.com
    3) Try slax: http://slax.linux-live.org

Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Thanks for the help! I'll look into those.

I just discovered that the optical drive on these machines is a Philips DVD+-RW DVD8701. I wonder if it being a DVD/RW drive makes any difference? Maybe I'll try to download the 4.x version of Knoppix onto DVD and run with that...

JOhn.

Member registered user
    I was having similar problems on a Dell Optiplex GX280 with USB only keyboard. I got it to work with the following cheat codes (v. 3.8.1):

knoppix noapic noagp noapm noaudio noddc nodhcp nofstab nofirewire nopcmcia noscsi noswap pnpbios=off acpi=off

Basically everything but nousb. I could probably test to find which is offending but...

I was able to use partimage and image my SATA (/dev/sda2) partition.

I never did get a kernel panic, I just could not get the keyboard to work. Now it does!

HTH,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mmaki
    I got it to work with the following cheat codes:
    knoppix noapic noagp noapm noaudio noddc nodhcp nofstab nofirewire nopcmcia noscsi noswap pnpbios=off acpi=off
    That's great! One code I don't recognize is "noddc". The only reference I could find for it via google is that it's used in configuring X11. Is that correct, or it is used for something else? How did you know to use it?

It would be great if someone else could verify if that set of cheatcodes works for them, too.

After that, the next step would be to figure out if the cheatcode set can be whittled down.

Thanks, Mike, for posting feedback.

Regards,
    - Robert

It would be great if someone else could verify if that set of cheatcodes works for them, too.
    I was so very hopeful...

But I just tried this. Twice, to make sure I typed it all in right. And both times I got the scrolling error messages followed by a kernel panic.

(BTW, got the same exact result with slax, so I know it's not a Knoppix issue.)

Thanks,
    JOhn.

But I just tried this. Twice, to make sure I typed it all in right. And both times I got the scrolling error messages followed by a kernel panic.
    In previous posts you mention using Knoppix 3.9. mmaki was using Knoppix 3.8.1. You might want to download that version and give it a whirl. 3.8.1 uses the 2.6.11 kernel. 3.9 uses the 2.6.11.10 kernel. 4.0 uses the 2.6.12.4 kernel.

Also in reviewing some of the older posts, you are able to get to stage 1. So, linux and some initial drivers do load. I'm curious to know if you can get into "emergency mode". Try booting with this:

boot: failsafe -b 1

Of course, your keyboard won't work. But I'm just interested to know if you get to a prompt or if you get a kernel panic.

Regards,
    - Robert

Member registered user
    FWIW I got my Optiplex GX280 to boot with everything working by using:

Code:
    knoppix acpi=off
    Mike

cheatcode shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by mmaki
    FWIW I got my Optiplex GX280 to boot with everything working by using:
    Code:
    knoppix acpi=off
    Thanks, Mike, for whittling down that cheatcode list and posting it. What kind of CD-ROM do you have in your machine? Is it a SATA bus or regular ATA (IDE)?

Regards,
    - Robert

boot: failsafe -b 1
    It's been a while since I've had time to work on this, so I tried both this and Mike's suggestions.

With the failsafe, I do get the kernel panic on Knoppix 3.9. I'll be downloading and burning 3.8.1 later today and giving it a try.

With acpi=off, I also get the kernel panic.

Somone suggested trying Kanotix, so that's next on my list. Something about the ub driver (though I'm neophyte enough to not know what that is).

JOhn.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast