Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Static IP & Name Resolution

Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    I am using the Beginner Default install.
    I think this is the problem. The beginner & Knoppix installs are not normal and do not behave like a normal HD installed Linucx distro. I think it is breaking the networking. In fact, most Knoppix HD installs tend to break something, usually networking and this is why we recommend to not install Knoppix to the HD, especially beginner mode. The link I posted above explains in detail why the HD install is not recommended.

Two things to narrow down, (1) what version of the Knoppix CD did you use and (2) does your network connection work under a CD boot Knoppix?

To verify #2, if you still have the Knoppix CD, then boot off of it with the cheat code:
    knoppix 2 nodhcp vga=normal
    which will force knoppix to not use DHCP and will drop you to a root console prompt.

Then run the command:
    netcardconfig
    and configure the eth0. Again do not use DHCP and then input your static IP info.
    Once that is successful, type:
    ifconfig -a
    to get a output of the eth0 and its net address.

Try pinging the gateway:
    ping 10.10.1.1

If it is successful, then continue to confirm that the network is up. Use the command:
    init 5
    to go to the Knoppix KDE GUI and run firefox and browse either a local website or even an internet site.

If networking is fully working when boot off the CD, then something in the HD install has broken networking. I have a Debian 3.1 (codename sarge) PC that is working right next to me and the /etc/network/interfaces file I posted came from that PC. If the /etc/network/interfaces is failing on your system, then the HD install is to blame.

You need to decide if really want to run Knoppix from the HD, & if so, then you will need to re-run the knoppix-installer program and reinstall Knoppix to the HD. This time you should choose Debian method & not beginner or Knoppix method.

Please keep us updated with your progress.
    I'm willing to do the reinstall this very minute! But before I do, will my laptop be auto-configured with the Debian install as it is now? I mean, I don't have to worry about setting up any of the devices, it figures it all out. Will it be the same under Debian?

Senior Member registered user
    I make no absolute promises about it, but yes, it should detect the HW all the same. You did not tell me what version of the CD you are running. Each version breaks something and needs to be fixed in its own way.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    I make no absolute promises about it, but yes, it should detect the HW all the same. You did not tell me what version of the CD you are running. Each version breaks something and needs to be fixed in its own way.
    I'm using the "latest" version -- it was downloaded just last week for me. The CD is marked Knoppix Linux 9.x.

I'm backing up the old install now -- it'll take about an hour. Then I'll repartition the drive, and install the Debian.

Thank you for your assistance thus far. I'll come back and let you know how things have gone, or if I encounter any difficulties in the interim.

Member registered user
    i can't ping and my attempts at setting gateway address failed. but at this point if i do dhcpcd ethx it works. any ideas?

Member registered user
    i can see access points on my wireless adapter configuration so i am connected to NIC but maybe name resolution failed??? but in dhcp settings it used gateway address as nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf. wtf??? i tried to set it the same way in command line for static configuration by `ifconfig ethx gw ---` but that doesn't work. it says host name not found!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12