Thread: How do I turn on my wireless card?

How do I turn on my wireless card?

I know, the answer is simple right just push the button. I thought of that but no it doesn't work. I have a HP dv1010us notebook with intergrated wireless b/g with Broadcom chipset(in windows my driver is bcmwl5). I am currenlty booting Knoppix from the cd cause I'm not sure if I am ready to make the commitment. So I guess my question is first can I even get the wireless card to work while booting from cd drive. Second when I run my standard OS my wireless card is not automatically turned on and if I left it on during my last session it will turn back on when I reboot or restart(although not until the login screen) SO my thinking is the card has to be on before it can do anything, so again I pose the question how do I turn it on. I have loaded the driver with ndiswrapper (the same driver used in my other OS settings)and I have done the modprobe but to no avail it still says that no network card is found(i can use my wired connection no problem). So how do I power up this card, I knowof no other shortcut to turn the wireless card on other than pressing the wireless button. I have tried continously pressing the button during startup but that was a no go(what can I say I found a penny heads up, so thought I was in for some luck)

I have been on the problem for 2 days now, and even though I am frustrated as heck I find myself turning this thing on an trying to figure it out. I like linux, I found somethings aren't as hard as I thought they would be. I also find some simple things to be quite tedious(did i spell that right). I am stil very new at this but I am willing to work at it, it hasn't completly disgusted me yet. So if you don't want to hand hold, then I would be thankful just for a point in the right direction.

Here's hoping I get an anwser and didn't come off as an idiot
    cerealkiller

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I fixed my problem.

Member registered user
    Please tell us how you fixed the problem

Similar Threads

1. How to turn my WLAN card on???
    By ajay16 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM
  2. wireless card recognised as ethernet card.
    By Matthew87 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 02:29 AM
  3. What wireless Card
    By notoriouslou1022 in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 04:35 PM
  4. No Wireless Extensions/No wireless card found?
    By sparticus in forum Laptops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
  5. Wireless card help
    By PhR057Y in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 03:37 PM