Thread: dvd burning problems

dvd burning problems

Downloaded dvd by bittorent knoppix 4.0 tried to burn iso normally in nero. Had 2 problems first it would not accept dvd as the burning media(it wanted me to use a cd to burn an iso)and then when i got it to accept it it said it burned successfully but it would not boot.... any one else having any problems?

Senior Member registered user
    There is some _must read_ tips & info on both downloading & burning in the Downloading FAQ. Perhaps it will help you.

dvd burning problems

thanks I already read the info didn't see anything in there the first time but the second time thru I saw to burn it slow .....I'll give that a shot

just get a dvd burner program...they have special ones for that...

just get a dvd burner program...they have special ones for that...
    Kavik stated that he used Nero to burn the iso to DVD. There are few better programs for burning DVDs than Nero when it is configured properly. If there are some specialized programs that work better for burning a DVD isos to disc, I would be interested to know what they might be.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Nero 6 burnt the DVD iso just fine for me. No complaints that I needed a CD instead of a DVD, burned it nice and slow (like I told it to do). I've made a few DVDs and they booted on all my DVD equiped systems and on a system of a friend that I gave a copy to. It's pretty bogus to tell people that there are better programs or to say "just get a dvd burner program" when you either don't have the faintest idea of what program to get or deliberately omit that important detail. Nero 6 works.

You, of course, have to know how to use Nero. I'm running the full menu driver version (not the Nero for dummies interface). When I start it I make sure that DVD and not CD is selected in my "new compilation" window. Then I just say NEW. I get to the main menu page, I used to do a "File" -> "Open ..." and open the ISO, but I've picked up a nasty Windows bug somewhere that has broken that. Fortunately there is another way to acomplish the same thing, it's "Recorder" -> "Burn Image ...". That's what I used, just pointed it to the ISO, set the speed to the slowest my burner would go, and went to get a snack. When I came back I had my nice Knoppix 4.0.1 DVD.

I do expect that at least one other program I have that burns DVDs and CDs will burn the ISO also, but that is just speculation unrtil I try it. And it's hardly as popular a program as Nero (and I'm not on the current version of it). So my advice is to stick with what is known to work and not to pay attention to those who disparage Nero but offer no better suggestions.

Harry,

I will have to say that I agree on your views about NERO. I have been using it for years and it just keeps getting better. I have about 15 different burning programs, most of which never got used after the initial install and tryout. Nero has enough features that there are few others that will compare to it. A few of the others that I have found decent are Alcohol 120%, VSO's Suite (BlindWrite mostly), Toast, and Easy CD Creator suite to some extent, but I only use them for specific tasks for which they are well suited. I almost use Nero 6.6 exclusively for the majority of burning tasks. It is the most consistent that I have found to date and less buggy than most. Why mess with success.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    I will have to say that I agree on your views about NERO. I have been using it for years and it just keeps getting better.
    My view is not that Nero just keeps getting better. I actually like Version 5 a lot more than version 6 in some areas (unfortunately, Nero insisted on removing version 5 before installing version 6, and my copy of 5 didn't support my new DVD burner). Version 6 does have some improvements (verification of some burns that 5 didn't verify, for example) but some features were lost too. And the "Nero for Dummies" interfaces that many OEM users get stuck with are awful. No, I don't accept the "they do all I want to do" arguments, these are too often made by people who don't even understand all of their options, or understand the differences between burning with the CD-ROM[ISO], CD-ROM[UDF} and CD_ROM[UDF/ISO] options.

The point of my above post was not to praise Nero. It was to point out that those saying to use something else didn't know what they were talking about and were not offering anything helpful in their feedback, just spreading FUD but not even giving other alternatives.

Nero is far from the only option. And I would stop short of saying it is the best option. But is is an option that does work, and it's an option that more people trying to burn their first Knoppix disk are likely to have than any other single burning program. And it is available for a 30 day free trial. And most importantly is is the option that we know the original poster had. So when people imply that Nero doesn't work and the user should just get a dvd burner program... without even giving a link to back up their suggestion, I'm moved to speak up.

Nero 6 burnt the DVD iso just fine for me.
    Nero 6 works.
    You, of course, have to know how to use Nero.
    So my advice is to stick with what is known to work and not to pay attention to those who disparage Nero but offer no better suggestions.
    These are the "views" I was referring to, and that were contained in your post. I did not intend to imply that you had any other views about it, nor did I intend to make my views, yours. Maybe a better choice of words would have been "Statements" rather than "Views". It is my view that Nero keeps getting better, simply because it appears to work a little more reliably than before, more drive coverage has been added, and a few bugs were addressed along the way. I do not use the "Express" interface or the "Start Smart" features, nor do I install all of the components. I rarely use the InCD packet writing portion and have it installed on only one machine at the moment. InCD has occasionally caused disc access issues for me. There are some quirks that I dislike. For example, even though you do not save the disc compilation when exiting, it comes right back with the last disc label used and pointing to the last files accessed in its file manager. Minor stuff, mostly, but one major issue is the fact that they keep trying to do everything that there is to do, and a few of those features are not quite ready for prime time. That prompted my statement that I use these programs for what they are best suited for and that includes Nero. Nero does have the capability to select most CD and DVD types and appears to even make the recommendation when it "Thinks" you are making an error, such as burning an iso as a "file" to disc, instead of "opening" the iso to burn. It also will sometimes recommend a different disc format when you try to do something that may not work. An example is attempting to burn a file over 2 Gig to a ISO DVD. It will suggest a UDF format for your large files, since UDF allows files over 2 Gig. Older versions did not always do that and it currently reminds me of simple things I should be aware of, but forget when I'm in a hurry or distracted while having a "Senior Moment". Simply stated, I use Nero for the majority of my routine disc burning tasks, unless I have found something else that does a better job for that particular application. I have almost every version of Easy CD Creator ever made and I used it as my default application until Nero took it's place. If I can remember correctly, it was due to a major bug that I encountered with Easy CD Creator that consistently crashed the system. You needed to BUY the "Upgrade" to fix it. I fell back on Nero to do what I needed at that moment and found it did that well enough. That was around the time when Roxio replaced Adaptec as the "Brand of Record". I have also found that Nero "Plays Well With Others" and causes fewer compatibility issues with other burning programs installed on the same system and it does not appear to assume that you want to make it the "God" of burning applications on your PC, and let it install and take over all functions by default.

I burned my first CD somewhere around 1989/1990 or so if I can recall correctly, and the software has become a LOT easier to use and the process itself has become simpler and less time intensive for the user. Authoring and burning a CD used to take hours, if not all day, especially on a hopped up 386 machine running something called DOS, unless you were unlucky enough to have something that worked (or not) in something called Windows a little later on. Back then you had to know quite a bit more about the "Format" and "Structure" of the disc you were trying to burn. There was much less room for error since a blank disc back then cost about as much as a tank of gas today, or even maybe tomorrow.

The main reason for my post apparently was about the same as an issue you had stated in yours. I was a little puzzled by the statement "just get a dvd burner program...they have special ones for that...". I was wondering if there was a program that was more "Specialized" for the task that I was not aware of, or if the author misunderstood what the original poster had stated about using Nero in the first place.

I apologize if my post has caused any misunderstandings.