Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD-R version?

Senior Member registered user

DVD-R version?

How about a DVD version of KNOPPIX without compression? You can fit something like 4.6 GB on a DVD, right?

I suggeted this to Klaus once and he said it would actually run slower than his version on a CD-R with on the fly decompression. Why is that?

Also, wouldn't a DVD version (ie: no compression) run with less RAM?

idea

rw

why dont make a cd-rw version for those with little ram

DVD

My guess is that read speed of the ROM drive is to be the limiting factor. To read the compressed file (smaller size) would be faster than reading it uncompressed and that the processor execution speed is thus more than sufficient on most systems to decompress and execute the code if it can get at it fast enough. The uncompressed version (larger size) would likely take more time at application load/startup while the system waits for the drive to finish reading the data into memory and pass over control.

The Ram issue would be moot. Since any application that you use would have to be loaded into memory no matter where it is initially stored. The Virtual Ram and SWAP space (HDD) is the place where any data that can't find a home in memory is stored for later execution on systems with smaller Ram amounts

But if DVD drives were more globally available the COMPRESSED DVD version would have to be the -be all to end all-. At least until everbody has huge FlashRAM storage drives that boot like all those people buying Pocket-Thumb-Pen drives are doing.

Member registered user
    I also think that we wont see DVD iso's until DVD burners become standard, like CD burners have. DVD burners are still pretty expensive, so until they are less than, say 150ish, and the media gets cheaper, we will only have cd sized images.

Junior Member registered user
    Hmm, I wonder though because the DVD x's worth more kbs than the equvilent CD x. So with a 16x DVD you're pulling I think the equivilent of 32x CD. I'd have to check the actual values, thats just what my DVD-ROM does.

I might throw together a quick DVD-R if I had the extra 4-10gb partition available and could figure everything out though. DVD-ROMs are starting to show up on a lot of systems standard and most of those systems easily meet the slightly high memory requirements for great performance.

SUOrangeman

jigdo

I've managed to get a DVD ISO image for Debian 3.0 using jigdo and some files that were posted on one of the US Debian mirrors. Guided by .jigdo and .template files, the jigdo (short for jigsaw download) executable reconstructs the ISO at a pace of 10 or so files at a time.

The advantage for many mirror sites is that you don't have to keep the larger ISO files on your site as well as the individual files themselves (say, for a network install). The advantage for the downloaders is that you can easily *update* ISO images as needed without having to re-download everything.

Personally, I'd love to have Knoppix on DVD (the ISO, at least) and would faithfully use jigdo to keep it up-to-date. Technically, you could use jigdo with the Knoppix CD ISO, but since there is one huge file, you'd still be downloading that file with each update.

-SUO

zero08

mmmh... what about... THIS one: Knoppix DVD

... means an official Knoppix version which contains AAAAALLLLL the shite people wanna have, which can probably be produced on (real) DVD or can be ordered (on DVD-R) from one of the ISO-shops?
    Guess what, ALL the software you can eat on ONE cd.... uhhh damit, real DVDs can even have 9 gig... imagine, EVERYTHING could be put on that one....
    I guess that'd be the biggest thing ever... and manufactoring DVDs is not much more expensive than CDs....
    what'ya think? Klaus, was sagst du? Könnte ja vom BSI gepresst werden oder so...
    ciao zero

Junior Member registered user
    DVD-burners are getting increasingly more common, also some people would by the DVD version. Anyhow, I don't think the DVD edition should replace the CD version, rather complement it for people interested in a more extensive software collection as well as features...

This is happening :
    http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermai...ne/003062.html

We are currently planning a DVD edition of Knoppix for LinuxTag 2003
    (http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/index.html).

This DVD edition will be a one-time project and only be available
    within the LinuxTag 2003 Kit (fee is used for funding the Free
    Project booths on the exhibition), and not for download (maybe with
    exceptions for betatesters with high bandwidth). Followup editions
    of Knoppix after LinuxTag will still be standard 700MB CD images
    (until virtually everyone can afford a DVD-writer and CD-Rom drives
    have vanished completely).

Quote Originally Posted by penguin
    DVD-burners are getting increasingly more common, also some people would by the DVD version. Anyhow, I don't think the DVD edition should replace the CD version, rather complement it for people interested in a more extensive software collection as well as features...
    In practice would there be much advantage to this? Wouldn't downloading the programs that you actually want (probably more up to date versions) be more likely? I guess folks who had a DVD drive but no broadband might want it, but putting such a huge amount of content onto a disc seems kind of redundant.
    Maybe I'm wrong though - do many people buy the CDs, or do most people download them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast