Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: running on Windows partition

Senior Member registered user
    I used to use Slackware alot. I know its a nightmare to configure everything just the way you need it. However, that was the preKNOPPIX era where it was supposed to be that way. In fact Slackware was great 'cause it was a better UNIX than UNIX and it was free!

I haven't used zipslack or bigslack (which ran from DOS partitions) ever since their forum went down. Another main draw to Slack for me was the big and savy user base in the forum that would help with anything you needed. I rediscovered that support with the KNOPPIX forums, first on linuxtag and now here.

Now everyone wants user-friendliness and easy installation and autodetection galore. Well, I'm all over that too! I guess I'm a convert now....

Regards,

Member registered user
    All,
    Topologilinux is "easy to install" and right it is "based on Slackware". You ask if therefore Topologilinux could be a headache as regarding to manually find and fine-tune configuration files?

The only problem I had during the install was my screen resolution on my HP XP2200 box. Nividia drivers and resolution problems. a little editing of the X configuration file and I was in business.
    The folks at forums the likes of Vectors Linux, Topologilinux (Tobias was really helpful), lLnuxpackages.nets to name a few were very knowlegable, helpful and friendly.

Some of my final toughts on Topologilinux is:
    It detected my soun card (Knoppix still does not)
    It runs faster then XP does (and both are very fast)
    I Installed Dropeline Gnome (a really kool Gnome) and have all the latest appz.

I think that Knoppix and Topologilinux are created for diffrent needs. I run and installed Knoppix, JAMD (RH Based), Win2k, and Topologilinux on my 400 clarion, 64M, 40 GB junk box.

But my wife has the nice new HP box and in order to introduce her to Linux I dropped Topologilinux on it for her. She likes it because I was able to modify it with programs to render and edit .pdf's. which works well for her business. I was able to do this with oiut having to partitioning her drive, something I did not want to have to do with XP.

Sorry for rambling on,

Anyways, give it a try. it playss well with NTFS and in my expirence it is a faster OS then XP.

Have fun, paul

printing

I have Topologilinux running on my computer...
    It seems alright, it's detected my sound, resolution, everything except my winmodem (that's expected), and the wheel on my mouse, which can probably be remedied with some xf86config tweaking.
    I also can't print... yet.
    Is it possible to write to the NTFS partition, like when you are saving files in Windows directories?

Member registered user
    Kyrk46,
    I would recommend against it. I know with the NT5 NTFS you could write to it without problems using the newer NTFS drivers. But for win2K & XP M$ changed how NTFS is configured.

Read the bellow link. Some interesting Linux/NTFS info:
    http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/

paul

Member registered user
    Kyrk46,
    SORRY! Wrong link.
    The corret link is below:
    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

Paul

I tried again using the new NTFS driver, and this time it works. So a quick summary for NTFS and KNOPPIX :

It works if the new 2.x NTFS driver is used(a custom kernel build is needed). I can now place the big KNOPPIX file on an NTFS partition. However, I only use it as 'quick CD' and read only. This may not be useful for most people though as there isn't a boot loader for linux that can boot from NTFS partition(I hope the lilo maintainer can change it). I have always kept a VFAT partition for any new harddisk I install as it is the common denominator that almost all OS can handle. For a typical off the shelf machine, it would be one big disk of VFAT(which KNOPPIX has no problem to run from) or NTFS(which would require a boot floppy). So able to running off NTFS is not such a big deal.

Member registered user
    KOOL!

Quote Originally Posted by qa1433
    All,
    [...]
    It detected my soun card (Knoppix still does not)
    [...]
    Sorry, I know that I am a bit off-topic here atm, but as I need feedback, I wondered if your soundcard was not even detected with alsa-cheatcode (knoppix alsa) on newer knoppix' ?! [I wrote that support, so if it really does not work, drop me a mail at: knx-alsa@fabian-franz.de]

I'll look into this topologi-linux, thx for the idea.

cu

Fabian

Member registered user
    Fabian,
    Well I never tried it with the alsa-cheatcode (knoppix alsa). I did not know that they were avalible?

I will have to give it a re-try. I chalked the sound detection problem to a HP XP2200 incompatability with Knoppix.

I will give it a try this weekend. Is there a FAQ on what the cheatcode is?

Thanks for the help!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by qa1433
    Fabian,
    Well I never tried it with the alsa-cheatcode (knoppix alsa). I did not know that they were avalible?

I will have to give it a re-try. I chalked the sound detection problem to a HP XP2200 incompatability with Knoppix.

I will give it a try this weekend. Is there a FAQ on what the cheatcode is?

Thanks for the help!
    Paul
    be sure to look into the changelog on your preferred knopix-mirror (03-04-18 is currrent)

It is just availabe since uhm 04-15 or so ...

cu

Fabian

PS: The cheatcode activates the ALSA-soundsystem (www.alsa-project.org)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast