Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 4.0 EN version available now

Administrator Site Admin-
    Just a few observations:

The BitTorrent tracker shows over 1 TB of the EN version transfered in the first 24 hours by BitTorrent, with another 600 gig plus transfered for the DE version.

The DE version currently has more downloaders (1139) than the EN version (824).

Many BitTorrent downloaders are showing download speed that would exceed my 1.5 meg DSL connection (although I'm unfortunately not getting those speeds. Guess it all depends on who you connect to). And several seeders are showing as uploading at over a MB/Second.

364 copies of the EN version were complete by BitTorrent in the first 24 hours, with many more due to complete soon.

Not bad for a file over 3 gig in size.

Member registered user
    I'm downloading now from one of the ftp mirrors. Started at 5pm. I now have 1.2GB to go. The mirror started out at 365K, but has fallen back to 157K now as more and more are downloading. This is on an 8Mb cable modem.

Quote Originally Posted by boehmb
    Started at 5pm. I now have 1.2GB to go....
    Giving times without time zones is pretty meaningless, this site is very International. Still, you seem to be getting very good results. Although I usually advocate BitTorrent over the mirrors, you are getting much better results that I'm curently seeing most users including myself get with BT. Some BT users are getting download speeds that would more than flood my connection, but I'm sure not able to do that. Hopefully as more of us get the full package and become BT seeders that will change.

Do make sure that you check the md5 sum of that FTP download. Hopefully it will match and you will have come out ahead.

Member registered user
    Thanks for the info. The dload is done now (8pm Chicago time) and Nero is burning the image to a DVD. I will have fun (hopefully) just going thru all the menus and packages tonight!

I havnt burned the dvd yet but I was browsing through the iso and i saw the regular KNOPPIX file which is now around 2 gigs..but whats the KNOPPIX2 file? its around 800mb so its too big for a cd.
    Just curious...

Senior Member registered user

DVD Version 4.0 VS 4.01?

I have noticed that there is a version 4.01 mentioned for official release at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html .
    I have also noticed that there is a " KNOPPIX_V4.0.1DVD-knoppix-terminalserver.patch " file on one of the servers at ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/ . Since I am not extremely familiar with Knoppix and Linux in general, I was wondering if anyone could possibly give me a clue as to IF there is a difference between the two versions, 4.0 vs 4.01, and if that difference is the patch file. Also, if that IS the difference, how do I apply the "patch" if that is what must be done to update it? I have crawled around in the forums and did a few searches, but did not really find much on the subject.

EDIT: I found the answer to my question under the "Bugs" section of the site.
    1.) Reported by: KK
    The knoppix-terminalserver script does not setup the initrd correctly because ld-linux.so.2 is skipped when parsing the ldd output. Therefore, neither pump nor ifconfig can start when booting the terminalserver client.
    Solution: Prior to starting the terminalserver, do a
    wget -O - ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppi...alserver.patch | sudo patch -p0

The 4.0 DVD appears to work well enough "as is", but I have not tried much of what it contains, including Terminal Server, so I might not notice anything amiss. It's more a quest for information and my insane curiosity than for problem solving, since I am not having issues with it yet.

As for NAvAP's question about the "Knoppix2" file, I did notice a reference to it while booting. I would assume that if the "Knoppix" file is about 2 Gigs in size, that there is more "Knoppix" file content than the maximum 2 Gig file size can hold. DVDs are usually limited to a 2 Gig file size unless you are using the UDF disc format. So if that is the case, the Knoppix file was split into two files in order to properly write it to a Data DVD.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks that makes sense
    Regarding 4.0 and 4.0.1 I believe that 4.0 is the original linuxtag release and 4.0.1 is the new public release.

Moderator Moderator

minirt_ntfs.gz update for Knoppix 4.0 DVD Official Release

Hello,
    Please find below the link to the updated minirt_ntfs.gz
    required to boot Knoppix 4.0.1 DVD Official Release
    from the iso file on a NTFS partition:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...1796&start=250
    Please give me some feedback.
    Cheers, Gilles

Senior Member registered user

Bit Torrent!

I just took a quick look at the progress of the Bit Torrent downloaders. I will have to strongly agree with Harry Kuhman that this is incredible progress. The download rates on the Bit Torrent appear to rival that of a decent FTP connection. Just a reminder to those that would like to seed the file EVEN IF you did not use Bit Torrent to download it. You can do this if you have a Bit Torrent program installed on your system. If you don't you should really try it out. The ratio of "Seeders" to "Leechers" is really decent and better than I had ever expected, but it could get better if more people donate the time to "Seed" the files. As a benefit, the Bit Torrent program can verify your downloaded file during the process AND can even correct the file if it contains errors. Bit Torrent is really a great way to download something as large as this DVD iso. It has less chance for errors than most other methods and can be paused and resumed like many FTP programs.

In order to seed the files, just open the Bit Torrent file from http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/ and direct your Bit Torrent program to save the file to where your completed download is located. It will appear to download the file again, but it is actually checking the integrity and content of the file. Just be sure that your program is not set to overwrite the existing files, if that might be an option in the configuration menu. Once it has "completed", you can seed the file. It only takes a few minutes to do this and if you have a system up and running that is connected to the net, it would help all of the other downloaders obtain the file at a decent rate. I have two machines at different locations, that I have set to seed off and on during "MY" down time. You can set the "Upload Rate" higher after your download "Completes" if you wish to.

Re: Bit Torrent!

Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    I just took a quick look at the progress of the Bit Torrent downloaders.
    Yup, they sure are. The second terabyte of the EN version took less than 10 hours to transfer by BitTorrent. And there have been over 2 terabytes of transfers for the German version as well as almost 2.5 terabytes for the English version in the first day and a half of availability. The number of downloaders continues to grow but the number of seeders has grown too (271 for the EN version at the moment, with several of them having upload capability of over 1 mb/s). I'm seeing a lot of people get amazing download speeds, and even for others the speeds continue to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    ... Just a reminder to those that would like to seed the file EVEN IF you did not use Bit Torrent to download it. ....
    Obviously, those offering the download will need all 8 files, if you just downloaded the ISO you will need the rest. But I believe that BitTorrent will figure out what you have and just get the tiny ammount that you need, as long as you put the ISO into the proper directory (I say I think because I have never done it that way.) The directory will have to be named exactly the same as the Torrent directory name; I would suggest getting the torrent, starting BT just for a minute to get the directory created and the blank templates created. Then shut down BitTorrent and replace the empty ISO with a copy of your full ISO (Be very sure that your md5 checksum is correct!). When you restart BitTorrent it should take a few minutes to check the ISO, download the tiny remaining files, and then (as long as your firewall amd router are set up properly) start seeding Knoppix to the rest of the community. A great use for that bandwidth that you are paying for anyway. I plan to leave the DVD seeding for the next several weeks (and the CD version as well when that comes out).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast