Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Official 4.0 EN version available now

Junior Member registered user
    Someone asked is it worth it. I downloaded 4.0 last night while in slumberland, burned to DVD and then popped it next to XP on my hard drive. My, oh my what a bunch of "stuff" to play with! I'll get it on my laptop today and check out wireless and it all should be a done deal. I did FTP on the download because in the past it seems to have taken days for the download and I am on cable. I have never done seed only but I'll see what I can do to get it going.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: 4.0 CD Available?

Quote Originally Posted by gnu_joe
    When will the CD edition of 4.0 be available?
    From the official Knopper.net site:
    Because of many updates and technical improvements in the meantime since the 4.0 DVD, work on the Knoppix "light" CD release has been delayed somewhat. The CD version will be released in a few days from now, and will also be available for download at the usual locations on the KNOPPIX Mirrors soon.

Senior Member registered user
    is knoppix for 386? how would it perform on an amd64?

Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    is knoppix for 386? how would it perform on an amd64?
    Perfectly fine. It will run on an AMD64 architecture process in 32bit mode. I have used Knoppix 3.7 and 3.8.1 on a dual AMD Opteron 240 system and noticed no problems or differences.

Finally

Well it took a cpl of days of on again/off again torrent downloading to get ver 4 verified and burned...I am leaving my torrent seeding every day for the next week @ 200kbs since I am working. Might as well put the bandwidth that I am paying for to work. First impression is 'wow is this freaking huge'. Its going to take a long while before I can sort through all of the software to see what I am going to use and what I am not. My only concern is...with a 4.0.2 bugfix release coming very shortly...did I just waste 3 days and a dvd to get a product that will be replaced and I will have to do it all over again?
    And yes, I know..that is the way that it goes..I really don't mind playing with my new burner..or checkin out new Knoppix versions..just wondering that all...Just for the record..DVD burned and booted with 0 issues first time out..ALL hardware recognized just as in 3.9 and All applicable network and sound applications functioned w/no intervention on my part.
    ALL in ALL a very well put together package this time around..more impressed with Ver 4 than I have been since 3.2

Jirah

Check here for the concern that prompted a 4.0.2. release. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/4.0.1DVD

If it does not affect what you might do with the DVD, then you should not worry. Just wait for a newer release that offers something else that might be of interest. Knoppix is like a moving target. I have so many CDs that I have burned of earlier versions, just to put them aside for the latest. I have burned the LinuxTag Version to DVD and now the official release. A DVD is rather large to download, but it appears that many people are not having any issues downloading, including myself. I was in the BitTorrent at the very beginning and it only took several hours (about 4 1/2) to download it. It should be even better now since there are about as many or more seeders as there are leechers. I have the latest updated version of BitTorrent now (4.0.4) but I was successful using 4.0.3. If you are using something other than the official BitTorrent, not using an updated version, or not ensuring that the settings are correct, you may have issues duiring the download. Some firewalls and routers also need configuration in order to work properly with BitTorrent. FTP is a good alternative if BitTorrent is not working for you. It certainly should not take three days to get the files downloaded, unless you are on a slow dial-up connection. DVD Media is pretty inexpensive these days and to use a few discs while using "Free" software is not a big sacrifice for me, I just add them to the "Collection". I fully expected some bugs with the DVD release and will anticipate the same with the 4.0 CD. I doubt there will ever be a "Bug Free" release of Anything in my lifetime.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    . I have so many CDs that I have burned of earlier versions, just to put them aside .....
    I occasionally burn on write once media, it is nice to have a few old copies one can refer back to (there are still some games on the old 3.1 that didn't make it to the 4.0.1 DVD), but more often than not I use rewriteable media to burn my copy. That way I can download after I go to bed and then burn the next day onto something that will not go to waste as new releases start coming fast. I keep current and see no downside to this. You only need one or two pieces of rewriteable media to make this work, although you do need 700 meg CDRWs for the CD version. And, of course, the copies I give away are on write once media.

Junior Member registered user
    I wonder if patch will be available for new minor releases or bug fixes? ( I am not sure if this is possible)
    So it would not take such a long time to download the updates.

If you are using something other than the official BitTorrent, not using an updated version, or not ensuring that the settings are correct, you may have issues duiring the download. Some firewalls and routers also need configuration in order to work properly with BitTorrent. FTP is a good alternative if BitTorrent is not working for you. It certainly should not take three days to get the files downloaded
    Oh I fully understand that my inexperience with bittorrent and azureus complicated things to the nth degree. But I am a RTFM kinda guy and after playing with the NAT and general connection settings of the issue, i managed to secure d'l speeds of well over 150kbs from my cable connection w/uploading at 25kbs during the download. The fact that it took a cpl days was simply because I am not the only one in my household using the connection, so I had to interrupt the connection many times to share the bandwidth. I am always using r/w media on just about every thing that I burn unless I just don't have any handy. My "collection" of older linux distro downloads/experiments/failures/just got bored w/it is and every growing suncatcher that hangs on our patio. The prismatic effects of the cd really are nice.

jirah

I've learned the hard way. I just make sure I get the updates, set it all up like they recommend, and then hope it works. I have had issues with BT alternatives and even some bootleg BT versions that dump some questionable stuff on a machine. I usually get to clean it out from someone's system after the bomb was dropped. I'm no expert when it comes to BT or similar software, but I do get the job done and without too many issues. The official BitTorrent has worked well for me, so I see no real reason to switch, unless one has a unique feature that I need to make use of. I just haven't found that feature yet. I've used a few others, but lately had better results with the BT original.

I don't have a lot of computer users under my roof at the moment. That suits me just fine, since I don't share my girlfriend, toothbrush, or internet connection well. I pay for it, It's mine, I'm selfish, and nobody seems to care. That's not to say I wouldn't let someone hook up if they had the need, it's just that I have my priorities. Knoppix first, then whatever else needs to come down the wire. I usually download a ton of stuff for friends that have slower connections. I just get to do my stuff first if I want it that way.

I don't really use RW discs much, unless I am having a problem that I need to work the bugs out of. RW discs also seem to have compatibility issues with some drives. I still use the DVD-RAM discs for video and archiving file backups. They have better data verification and you can edit a video disc on the fly. I also just don't have many coasters anymore. I have archives of older discs that I still find useful. Any bad discs are used for target practice, microwave testing/destruction, useless AOL inspired hanging mobiles, or frisbees. They don't make good windchimes since they don't make enough noise to annoy the neighbors. I originally burned two copies for my own use. One of the DVD-R flavor and one of the DVD+R kind. Some drives will work better with one or the other. I have burned about 30 of the DVDs so far and only have managed to keep the original two I burned for myself. They seem to get "Gifted" or "Lifted" when someone sees what it is. Some people return the favor with something that they have found useful or that they can't figure out, wanting to drive me nuts in the process of trying to figure it out.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast