Hello All,

This is probably cross-posting in the worst way, but I figure the more people see my problem, the likelier I am to have someone with an "Aha!" moment help me out.

Here's my story: I downloaded the 4/10/03 Knoppix CD, burned it, and played around a bit. I was pleased to see that it saw my on-board NIC right away, etc., and that when passing "alsa" as a kernel parameter (i.e. "boot: knoppix lang=us alsa"), it saw and properly used my on-board sound card, a VIA VT8233 (AC97).

Yesterday I took the plunge and did a hdd-install. Now, sound no longer works. I've edited /etc/lilo.conf to have "alsa" appear in the "append" section of my kernel parameters and re-instaleld lilo (just /sbin/lilo), and that did no good; apparently, for some reason, I can no longer get the kernel to switch on alsa at startup and/or see my sound card. Instead, sndconfig is back to giving me errors about /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.o again, where I was on the bootable CD before I specified "alsa" as a cheatcode. I see the file's there, too.

Can anyone help me out on why the heck this won't work?

Thanks,
Alex Kirk