Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just being a annoying tech!

Senior Member registered user
    hmm, i have only done something like that once, i did to a friend (yes we are still friends)
    we did some backup over network (using knoppix CD on his) to my "server", that is my 350Mhz laptop with a external 200G USB hdd.
    I started ssh on his computer. then i started the sftp session from nine. after a while i got bored and i ssh'd into his computer and did cat /dev/urandom >/dev/dsp.
    WOW he jumped from his chair and started screaming that i had made him use linux and that Linux had broken his computer... then he saw me Smiling and trying not to laugh, something must have become obvious as he started calling me all sort of names

OOPS!

I always get those mixed up... there, their, and they're... What can I say, maybe I shouldn't learn another language, I'd just mess that one up too... Bummer... I so wanted to learn German...

( BTW - did I even mention that a pretty much "sqeeked" by in formal education, especially in English ? )

chris-harry wrote:
    >>
    >>>>I can remember when i worked for Telecom, now Telstra .au ... we were explicitly told to tell the subscriber as little as possible ! ha. <<<< hahaha... I KNEW IT!!! were you also told to keep the customers on for over 45 minutes??? no joke... thats how long i was kept on...
    >>

I used to be involved in subscriber maintenance. As the subscriber is only "renting" the phone ... they have certain rights that a person who owns the phone dosen't.

# You may have a different colour if you wish ... choice of grey, black,red,green

# You can have a long cord.

# You can have a wall phone.

# You may have the unit replaced if it hasn't been working properly.

We were told not to tell the customer this, and, in fact, to try and distract the customer waay from the question. If it looked like they were curious.

I spent most of the time there playing silly-buggers and sitting in one or the other of numerous pubs/clubs and other hide-out. I kinda miss it all really. One could by-pass all that and actually do things if a person really wanted to. But it would mean having to go it alone, so to speak. Which can be hard...

Not to mention the most amazing and ellaborate over-time scams they had.

A creative bunch to be sure ....

Cuddles (grin)

Looks like the grammer-tech guy didn't try to smirf you ... at least

>>
    ( BTW - did I even mention that a pretty much "sqeeked" by in formal education, especially in English ? )
    >>

Ummm, you mean "that i pretty much" no ?

(ROTFL) (grin)

jm

jjmac, now THAT was a typo, not a grammatical error

"Renting" the phone? Renting the phone?!! I've read stories about how AT&T (which used to be the monopoly telephone company in the US until it got broken up around 1984) leased phones to people, and month after month, there'd be this charge on their bill...what a scam.

Anyway, unfortunately I've never given anyone bad computer advice in order to screw with them. This thread is inspiring.

Some "guru's" are like this, untouchable, or so they think... This is another reason why I "migrated" to Linux, esp Knoppix and Kanotix, you are treated with a little respect, that you DO have a brain, and that you can think past a elementary school age child...
    well.. the one reason i went to linux, was the respect everyone gave you... and its like a community... you come here with a problem, and bam... everyone helps to solve it (in most cases, it doesnt help if your been drinking... and your typing is all over the place)...

Anyway, unfortunately I've never given anyone bad computer advice in order to screw with them. This thread is inspiring.
    its more then espiring... i can learn some pranking tips here... hahaha... hehehe...

Eco2Geek
    AT&T did all of that, because, one, not to many places existed that sold phones, and, two, what would be more reliable than a phone from the place that you had the service with - not to mention, if it broke, they'd replace it... Mostly only having the "standard" phone, in a dull tan, they soon, began to sell the "princess" phones, the "old time" phones, "big button" phones, etc... It was, in a small way, a rachet, but, at the time, not many sold the phones, other than Bell, and when people didnt have phone service, they "usually" didnt need a phone laying around. As more businesses started selling phones, it did seem kind of stupid, but AT&T still had the phones, and at there Phone Marts, you could "buy" them...

OErjan
    Cute trick... Got to remember that one... One of the neat tricks, as I was moving up the "evolutionary" corporate ladder, was a variation of what you said... remote login to a SUN UNIX system, and start "roaches" without the users knowledge... It was a fun gag. The user, the first time they closed or icon'ed a window, was a hoot.

Ms. Cuddles

>>OErjan
    Cute trick... Got to remember that one... One of the neat tricks, as I was moving up the "evolutionary" corporate ladder, was a variation of what you said... remote login to a SUN UNIX system, and start "roaches" without the users knowledge... It was a fun gag. The user, the first time they closed or icon'ed a window, was a hoot. <<

um... what happens... i am so confused... is it something i should do

chris-harry,

"roaches" is, just a simple program, mostly, a miss-use of resources, on a computer system... small roaches hide behind your open "windows", when you close the window, or move it, they all become visible, and scurry about to find another place to hide... I think a X or GPL / GNU version exists, if you want to have some fun, and you are on a network. A variation of this kind of program, is the "AMOR" package.

Amazing Missuse Of Resources - but, this package just pops up something on the TOP of the active window, and doesnt run "behind" those windows, like "roaches" does...

FYI only,
    Ms. Cuddles

Iv'e seen something similar to that with bundles with Gnome ... located in the 'games' menu. Can't think of its' name. It's just a single smiley type thing that scurries about and hides places (grin)

jm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast