Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just being a annoying tech!

Senior Member registered user

Just being a annoying tech!

ok, here i am... listening to me brother complain that i havent loaded flash, so he cant play his game... I BLAME THAT F***ING CRAZY FROG!!! anyway... i told him to press CTR and ALT... hehe, and he did it...

have anyone of you gave someone some false information, just for the sake of it... tell your stories....

Sister (over internet, me at work, she at home on ArchLinux): So what do I have to do to connect to the internet later?
    Me: type sudo init 0 and enter the password.
    Sister: sudo init 0?
    Me: Yep. To make sure you can connect later, like if you log off.
    Sister: Ok, here goes.
    Sister signed off at 16:35:42

then she called me and said "Hey! That was mean!!" and I said "Haha! n00b! j00 ju57 g07 0wn3d!!" (pwned is for fat geeks...unless it's pronounced "pawned". "powned" sounds dumb.)

lol... isnt it fun... using your knowleadge against those in your family...

First of all... Kowood... that was mean...

Now, on to my stories...

Being on the "roll-out", of Windows 95 - and a party to the "Microsoft Phone Support Representatives" privy of knowledge, and boo-boo's - most of these were done NOT by MS Reps, but, rather by there "outsourced" technicians that were employed by that company... Here goes:

* Printer Driver problem - resolved by telling Customer to reformat there hard drive. i.e. type format c: /s - and respond with 'y'
    * MSN > Icon Activation problem - resolved by telling Customer to completly uninstall MSN, and re-install from scratch.
    * TXT File Corruption problem - resolved by telling Customer to completly delete the "My Documents" folder, and restore, from a non-existant backup, they never made.
    * DLL error message problem - resolved by "showing" the Customer the DREADED program regedit, and telling them to start "hacking" there non-backed-up registry, by randomly "picking" something, and deleting it.
    * Standard Outsource issue, on any given problem - resolved by having Customer continually reboot there computer, in the "attempt" that it would resolve itself, by just doing this act.
    * Addendum to above, in case the Customer calls back, and has been doing the above, and will no longer agree this will resolve the "issue" - resolved by having Customer go into some "configuration" change program, make some non-sense change, that, wouldnt resolve anything, and then go back to the "reboot system continually" as mentioned above.

And, this one, unfortunately, I did, but, didnt realize my boo-boo, until the end...
    * MSN > Connection error > Cant connect - resolved by having Customer go into "modem settings", made a "good guess" change at the resolution of the problem, and then have them test it. ( not really a bad thing, but, problem was, they only had one phone line ( the one they were talking to me on ), and they used dial-up ) -=- Last thing I remember was: Ok... I'm clicking on the "Connect" button... and then, the modem introducting itself on our phone line.... and then - dial-tone... I was so bummed out I did it to them, I kept hoping they would call back, and that I could explain my mistake... Granted, it might have worked, and from that point on... I always said WAIT! DONT CLICK ON THE CONNECT right now! And, tried to cover every base before we disconnected our phone conversation, so they could test it out... ( or, checked to be sure we werent on the modems phone line )

And, to think, with that one boo-boo, I was one of MS's top Tech Reps...
    Ms. Cuddles

ok,once again pulled the cord out of the main computer... me sister asked me to fix the net... i told her to mount the eth0 card... 10 minutes later, she came back and asked me to fix it... i was half suprised she actually typed mount ethernet, mount eth0, ifdown -a etc... she had been watching me type some commands in on me laptop...

i then told her to plug it in...

somehow me face now hurts

Hardly a day goes by with out seeing things like this posted in a IT section of the paper. Someone has a problem ... the tech tries to palm them off.... it is not funny !

To day there was an article about this bloke who purchaded a dvd recorder from Foxtell (Ruberts gang), it would record foxtell broadcasts ok, but would bail out on free-to-air broadcasts. Seems to Foxtell techs are trying to tell him that the problem is at his end ... no surprise there.

Obviously the product is smirfed to favour Foxtell braodcasts. Or some encoding used by the free-to-air channels is causing the problem. I think the later may be the actual case. But still ... treat the customer like a mushroom and feed them approprietly.

I can remember when i worked for Telecom, now Telstra .au ... we were explicitly told to tell the subscriber as little as possible ! ha.

I can remember nearly waking this tech at a shop in town when my new drive (a Quantum ata66 8Gb) wouldn't work on my ata33 board ... took ages untill i got onto a Quantum tech and was informed that a flash utility was freely available to flash the drive down to ata33 if i couldn' afford to upgrade ... I don't think i've ever been so mad .

It's gotta stop ... the general populations held esteem of IT and those involved isn't actually all that good, in case you have ever wondered (grin)

jm

>>I can remember when i worked for Telecom, now Telstra .au ... we were explicitly told to tell the subscriber as little as possible ! ha. << hahaha... I KNEW IT!!! were you also told to keep the customers on for over 45 minutes??? no joke... thats how long i was kept on...

BYW - I found this out, when I was doing Phone Support for MSN Online service, and many of our "techs" had come over from AOL... ( Not sure if this has changed, but, I dont think so... I've never worked for, nor used, there service, correct me if I am wrong )

AOL techs were told that ALL phone support calls were to be UNDER 2 minutes ( max ) -=- or they would get wrote up... As a call progressed to this 2 minute mark, the techs were "forced", by AOL, to ditch the customer....

Now, THATS customer service... If you cant fix it in two minutes, ditch'em ( nice, very nice )

I have seen other ways that techs demean the customer... Being a female, I get tons of it, when I take my car in for service... "Gee, Ma'am, it appears your thing-a-ma-gig is defective. We need to replace it." - Me to them, what the heck does my brake line have anything to do with how the engine is running? "Well, Ma'am, your master cylnder connects here to your engine, and its not connected properly."

Me to them, again, why does this have anything to do with a tune-up? Is it my spark plugs? Is it a "tweak" of the fuel to air mixture in the carburator? It appears I do need more brake fluid, but, that has nothing to do with a tune-up, so, maybe, you need to "concentrate" more on the engine area, and not the brakes, ok?

This same story goes for when I buy tires... Ma'am, these are pretty tires, they have nice white rings on them, and the lettering looks to "beautiful" - me to them... excuss me, but, how is the ride? Are they rated for the weight and size of my vehicle? Are the tires the same diameter as the original equipment, smaller, larger, or the same? Whats the warrentee, in miles and years? Any road hazard protection? Is the manufacturer respectable, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Good Year, etc...

Some "techs" assume that "everyone" is below them, and cant "think" that someone else can relate, at least, at the same level...

Some "guru's" are like this, untouchable, or so they think... This is another reason why I "migrated" to Linux, esp Knoppix and Kanotix, you are treated with a little respect, that you DO have a brain, and that you can think past a elementary school age child...

Oh well,
    Ms. Cuddles

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    I've never worked for, nor used, there service, correct me if I am wrong
    OK, you are wrong. It should be "I've never worked for, nor used, their service".

The grammer police have been alerted.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast