Thread: Newbie Boot/USB Configuration Question

Newbie Boot/USB Configuration Question

Hi.

I'm new to Knoppix and having a boot issue I can't seem to figure out. I've looked for the answer/solution before posting, but no luck. So here goes.... This should be pretty simple to fix (for someone who knows what they're doing).

Summary of what I've done and where I'm at now.

Downloaded and burned Knoppix 4.0 DVD (EN). Booted off the DVD with no problems. I have a 1GB USB Key and it mounted fine (as sdf1). When I booted up to the desktop, there were a bunch of drive icons (all in German) that I didn't want since I'm not going to be using anything except the USB key and perhaps an external USB hard drive. Sent all the unneeded icons to the Trask to remove clutter. Renamed the remaining two drive icons to USB Key and WD Ext. Made various changes to the desktop (background, icons, splash screen, rtc.) Changed multiple desktops from 4 (default) to 2.

Then I mounted the USB Key and allowed it to be writable. Saved the configuration (KNOPPIX - Configure - Save KNOPPIX configuration) to the USB Key. Dialog says save was successful. Then created a Persistent Home Directory on the USB using KNOPPIX - Configure - Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image). Again all went well and system says it completed successfully. I followed the steps in http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/...n/index20.html exactly and so far, so good.

OK That's the background. Here's my problem.

When I boot the system with the USB drive in, I use the cheat code knoppix home=/mnt/sdf1 myconfig=/mnt/sdf1 I've tried using only one of these at a time and also together. I've also substituted knoppix home=/dev/sdf1 for the knoppix home=/mnt/sdf1
    All (I think. I've done this so many times, it's hard to keep straight) produce the same or similar results.

During the boot process, all goes well. I get to a KNOPPIX Configuration screen (kind of looks like an old DOS screen). In it there are 4 choices: HOME, SYSTEM, OVERWRITE, INIT. All but OVERWRITE have an 'X' in the checkbox. If I leave the screen as is, the system continues to boot and the following lines appear:

/home/knoppix mounted OK from /mnt/sdf1/knoppix.img
    Read-only CD/DVD system successfully merged with read-write /mnt/sdf1/knoppix.img

The desktop comes up with the splash screen I selected and with the wallpaper I changed to. The problem is is that all of the icons I deleted are now back with their original German names, and I'm back to 4 desktops showing. Sometimes (maybe all the time) I also have two Trash icons. Therefore, it appears the system is partially loading my config, but apparently merging it with the default. The line from the boot process above seems to indicate that as well.

I think the solution is to remove the 'X' from SYSTEM choice on the KNOPPIX Configuration screen, but I don't know how to do that. Either that or type something when I boot to disable this from happening.

Can someone help me? I appreciate any suggestions.

Member registered user
    I have the same question. I wish someone can reply to it.

Member registered user

Can't delete stuff from desktop

Changes that you "add" to the desktop & elsewhere, then "save" are restored of course.
    Stuff that you remove are that way until you boot again, & Knoppix puts them back.
    Removing stuff doesn't "save" like things you "add", Knoppix scripts just restore them.

Solutions:

You could find the script that adds the stuff you don't want & change it ( hard to do ).

Or much easier to do:
    Add a "knoppix.sh" script to the USB drive to run your own commands ( search the docs., wiki, & forum about this ).
    In that script put commands to delete the desktop icons ( links ) you want removed ( you'll have to search that also).
    Also add to it any other changes you may want that aren't saved by the Knoppix menu-save, or programs you want to start automatically ( not Xwin apps. as "knoppix.sh" runs before Xwin & KDE start ).

So Knoppix boots normal, but the script then changes things by commands you put in it, a simple customize!