Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stops booting after auto config

Stops booting after auto config

Alrighty, so I downloaded knoppix, to letyou know off hand. I have never used linux in my life before. So a freind guided me through it. When I first tryed it I would just get a black screen after the boot prompt. Then I was given some cheats, and the only one that would get me past the first thing that shows up which would be

"uncompressing linux, ok, booting kernel"

would be the cheat "failsafe" and that would bring me right up to all the funky coloured text. Once I got there there was a thing called auto configuration, it had a green loading bar, the bar would load, the blinking cursor would go the the next line. Then taht would be it. It would stop. Im not sure what I can do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Try the cheat code knoppix expert which will boot asking a serise of questions. Answer them to the best of your ability and take notes. If you hit a point where you get a hang, try again and change the answer to your last question. Post back here with your answers and the point at which the process fails. Letting people know what computer make and model you have might help us help you also.

Thanks kind stranger, I have 3.7 downlaoding now, but once thats finishes, ill give that a try. Thank you

Senior Member registered user

Re: Stops booting after auto config

Quote Originally Posted by SwirlingVenom
    would be the cheat "failsafe" and that would bring me right up to all the funky coloured text. Once I got there there was a thing called auto configuration, it had a green loading bar, the bar would load, the blinking cursor would go the the next line. Then taht would be it. It would stop. Im not sure what I can do. Any help would be much appreciated.
    What version of Knoppix? What type of system? Have a look at the cheatcodes page, especially the Tips&Tricks section. It sounds like your machine is failing on some kind of hardware detection. If 'failsafe' almost works, try boot: failsafe nohwsetup 1. This should drop you into a text prompt. If you get that far, simply type 'reboot' to reboot your machine. Are you able to get that far?

Do you have another system on which to try Knoppix?

Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Same problem with v3.9 even while using "expert"

Hi,
    I too am a newbie to Linux. I am facing the same problem with Knoppix v3.9 even after using the "expert" cheat. Somebody please help me.

Re: Same problem with v3.9 even while using "expert&quo

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    Somebody please help me.
    No problem. What's the question? What are you having problems with? What have you tried?

Regards,
    - Robert

Auto Config hangs in Knoppix v3.9 booting

Hi,
    I would like to know how to start my Live CD of Knoppix v3.9 which hangs after the auto configuration. I have tried the same with "expert" cheat but in vain.

Re: Auto Config hangs in Knoppix v3.9 booting

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    I would like to know how to start my Live CD of Knoppix v3.9 which hangs after the auto configuration. I have tried the same with "expert" cheat but in vain.
    Have a look at the CheatCodes docs, especially the Tips&Tricks. Of those boot commands listed, which ones have you tried and how far did you get with each?

Regards,
    - Robert

I have the same problem, on an old PII I've tried to run Knoppix on. I noticed even failsafe and -b have no effect. The CDROM is never locked, and I can eject it when the black screen appears. So at first I suspected the CD drive, but I get the same error even if I boot from an ISO file with bootfrom.

My best guess is that 3.9 is not compiled with generic 386 support, and requires at least a PIII support. But this is just a guess. I do know the boot options make no difference.

I used Gnoppix on the same machine, without problems. Unfortunately, Gnoppix is much less feature complete than Knoppix and the install option doesn't work with Gnoppix. The ubuntu version Gnoppix is based on is even less feature complete. So I would really prefere to get Knoppix working on the old computer.

Bill

OK, now I'm baffled. This is the first time I could not boot KNOPPIX ever! I've been using KNOPPIX since version 2.2....

Anyway, I think it has to do with some new hardware in these new PIV boxes I just got installed at school. The liveCD is booting off an internal usb cdrom. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Anyway, it boots up to the point where "KNOPPIX version 2.78" or somesuch shows up, right after autodetect. Is there a problem with usb cdroms for booting live?

TIA,
    AJG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast