Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Some One Help Me Get My Knoppix Connected To The Net???

well i keep just coming up with the fact that my modem is a 56k AC-Link Voice Modem thats all i ever see about it it's a P.O.S. i hate it i wish i could run linux successfuly. hey do u know if DSL(Damn Small Linux) will respond to my crapy modem any better or even Puppy Linux or for that matter any distro i would have a good chance of my modem working with it. Also why is it that linux can't use a normal friggin modem why does it need a special modem that to me seems a little rediculous. i mean they can program up this kickass OS and then say hey i don't feel like letting anyone use a normal modem they need to buy a special one just to use it. thats what discourages people to use the easy to use windows OS i am real close to just giving up too it's just to much work. OHH and i have damn small linux and i got one version of it where u can run it right in windows so i just leave my pc connect and then launch DSL and that is the only way i can use linux online which wouldn't be so bad if 1. it was full screen 2. if it didn't run like a snail 3. well the first two made the point. it's just to hard to run linux well get connected anyways!!

sorry for the rants i just really would like to give up windows alltogether i think that linux is a great OS it just needs some MODEM support improved greatly!!

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrio05
    ...hey do u know if....
    We don't really know what your modem is, so giving good feedback there is going to be hard without your help. One can usually disable an on-board modem and install a PCI modem, and there are some cheap software modems that Knoppix apparently supports (read through this forum to find recent mention of some). But it sounds like you may have short changed yourself on slots too with that Gateway, since you talk about removing your ethernet card to make space. If that's the case I would consider if I wanted to try to put any more money into that system, even for a dirt cheap software moden card.

Senior Member registered user
    why is it that linux can't use a normal friggin modem why does it need a special modem that to me seems a little rediculous
    This is very nice site for you - http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ .

Administrator Site Admin-
    why is it that linux can't use a normal friggin modem why does it need a special modem that to me seems a little rediculous
    Linux can use a normal modem just fine. It' a special cheap crappy modem made for windows only that sometimes gives it problems, although people are slowly resolving issues and getting more of these working.

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrio05
    56k AC-Link Voice Modem ** thats all i ever see about it it's a P.O.S. *** why is it that linux can't use a normal friggin modem why does it need a special modem !!
    A search of the Web tells a lot about this modem.... Gateway computer integrated.... looks like a Conexant chipset.
    There is some support for this in Linux if you go looking -- no magic!

Your "software" modem is NOT a normal friggin modem. It was made for Windows and Windows alone. The fact there's a Linux driver available means someone has taken the time and effort to do this. Manufacturers don't often write Linux Drivers, with the Exception Of SmartLink (look on their company web-site for Linux Driver). And I'm sure your realize that MS doesn't often write drivers themselves.... they let the equipment manufacturers do that for them.

What you see to be a problem is real simple to me: Look for a cheap external modem or buy a $10-15 SmartLink PCI modem, or you can fool with the built-in AC-Link modem until you get so pi_sed you throw everything in the garbage.

Why don't you try for a used serial modem -- with the popularity of hi-speed internet, there's a ton of them for sale right now. When I started using Linux, I can assure you I didn't try to use a software modem first. You shouldn't be blaming Linux for your modem problem. Now you don't really want to go through life with just Windows & Gates -- do you???

hell no i am beging to hate windows. but any ways are u trying to say that there is support for my software modem on different linux distros or what??

Maybe too late: your modem is: http://www.modem-help.com/search.php

intel huh? so you click on chipset page: http://www.modem-help.com/chipsets.php?mid=120&nbd=4483
    and then click on the chipsets there: (maybe?) but if you look a bit further down the page, yay!
    and then onto another page: yay!
    2.4 kernel support only[hmm]
    now (further down the page) click
    and conexant wants to install the driver 'for me!' (you don't usually get that, i don't think)

but going to linmodems.tech, (learning, abit), downloading scanmodem, (instructions pertinent!) and doing that stuff, -compiling it, installing it, whatever has got to be fun/fruitful if you ever want to/"have to" do it all again (for a friend??)

don't be scared, linux is hellishly better, and "have you tried vbscript lately" eek the learning curves! haha, bi

"crap!, did i mention i cut and pasted it (ven_%&%* &pci_^%$%$ &sub_*^%blahblah) into google?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12