Thread: Error in page "Mirror list on the official site."

Error in page "Mirror list on the official site."

Hi guys,
    It seems that I could not open the page:

http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

would someone may show me the mirros list ?

Thanks!

Administrator Site Admin-
    That link you posted opens fine for me, but if you want to see the list of mirrors the best way is to simply follow the Get Knoppix link near the top of this page, I would strongly suggest that you consider using BitTorrent over the mirrors though. See the Downloading FAQ for more details (found by following the Documentation link near the top of the page and right next to the Get Knoppix link).

Member registered user
    Mr. Kuhman - Which version of Bit tiorrent? I have been using 4.04 and it is abysmally slow. I set it to download suse 10.0 and that was 8 days ago. I've terminated it this morning ad started an http: download and so far have about a third of the file. I am not sure why 4.04 does it but I think it is uploading all the previous torrents you downloaded each time you reconnect rather then pick up where it left off. Any Ideas?

In Service, I Remain,
    Captain Cautious

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Cautious
    Mr. Kuhman - Which version of Bit tiorrent? I have been using 4.04 and it is abysmally slow. I set it to download suse 10.0 and that was 8 days ago. I've terminated it this morning ad started an http: download and so far have about a third of the file. I am not sure why 4.04 does it but I think it is uploading all the previous torrents you downloaded each time you reconnect rather then pick up where it left off. Any Ideas?

In Service, I Remain,
    Captain Cautious
    The speed of BitTorrent depends on two things: the number and quality of the seeders and the users properly configuring their own router and firewalls. The second is well documented many places, but in a nutshell if you user a router (shame on you if you don't with a high speed connection) then you have to forward a small range of ports to the computer running the BitTorrent application, and you have to allow those ports through any software firewall that you are running on the BitTorrent computer; otherwise your download will happen extremely slowly. As to the first point, I have no idea where you found your suse 10.0 torrent or how many seeders there are for it. It may have been a torrent set up by some child and seeded only by his system; any idiot can set up a BitTorrent feed. Or it may have been a legitimate torrent but with high demand but not well seeded. My advice to use BitTorrent is mainly addresses to the Official Knoppix BitTorrent feeds, which are well seeded and when your system is set up properly will start slow but quickly pick up speed and download much faster than the mirrors will in general do. I have also had good results with other downloads, including the Debian install CDs from the torrents listed on the official debian.org site.

i am sorry that you had a bad result with suse 10.0. Is your router set up correctly? Have you tried to download the Knoppix files with BitTorrent (I got the 4.0.2 CD files in about 2 hours on the secondday of release when there was still extremely high demand, which is nearly my full download capacity. There were reports of others with faster connections gettin it in as little as 38 minutes. Form the number of seeders I'm seeing I would expect it to be even faster now. As a test you could try to download the 4.0.2 CD or DVD. Give it a little time, the download does start slow and the time estimates given in the first few minutes are meaningless. If it picks up speed and downloads quickly then the problem was likely in the torrent source that you were using for suse 10.0. If Knoppix downloads slowly too and stays slow 15 or 30 minutes later then you really need to go back and read the documentation about forwardng ports and opening firewalls.