Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems downloading 4.0 with BitTorrent

Junior Member registered user
    "The last two times, the download stopped at around 2.9 GB and 2.3 GB respectively, each time claiming some problem on the harddrive, and suggesting that I might be running the torrent twice (which I wasn't). "

Just that part (none of the other parts). I tried Azureus (the first time) and it reached 99% completion (an improvement) and crashed (illegal operation). So I reloaded Azureus and it no longer shows as downloading (hopefully it finished). I think the problem is the BiT Torrent Client (not exactly sure) but hopefully it'll work. I'll check the MD5 checksum on it and see if it gives any errors. Thanks.

It keeps giving me the same problem (using Azureus). It would check the file and after checking it, determine it's incorrect or something, and keep trying to fix it (I think). It's just stuck at about 99.9 percent done and never finishes. The MD5 checksum doesn't match.

Administrator Site Admin-
    I'll send you by private message a URL to a par2 set. Use quickpar (Google search if you don't already know what it is) and run it against the bas ISO. If there are enough recovery blocks to fix your ISO then quickpar can repair it, otherwise you'll at least know how bad the damage is.

What version(s) of BitTorrent were you using? I downloaded the torrent with 4.0.3 of BitTorrent on an old Win98 system with FAT partitions and had no problems, obviously many other BitTorrent users are having good results too. It would be interesting to know what is going wrong in your case.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Senior Member registered user
    Harry Kuhman wrote:
    Actually, I don't. I still just poke around the CDs or DVDs a little, and have installed Debian to one system
    I have done some considerable poking and prodding of these discs myself, but I have seen many of your posts in this forum, and along with several others, you all seem to have a pretty good handle on what's going on. Besides freely giving your time to help others, it's a great way to learn beyond the basics. Not to blow any smoke up where the sun doesn't shine, but I have learned quite a bit from lurking in this forum and have yet to fail to gain at least something everytime I visit. I myself have some experience outside of Linux, but seem to be learning enough to get it up and running to do some routine tasks. It's an adventure and keeps me from getting bored and going out of my skull, while going through the daily routines, although I have recently been deluged (volunteered) with enough work to keep me busy 24/7 for the next Millenium or so. I apologize for not posting again sooner, but it is the first chance I've had in a few days for "personal" stuff, like sleeping, eating, etc.

Now to get back on track. One other issue that I failed to mention before, regarding the spontaneous or random booting that MYSH had encountered. Excessive heat can also be a cause and that can be caused by poor airflow/cooling in the case, fans mounted to push air in the wrong direction, case fans that have failed, CPU heatsink/fans that have failed or become misaligned/dislodged, or a unit that is housed in an enclosure that is improperly vented. Dust or "Pet" hairs can collect on filters, fans, and heatsinks and seriously affect their efficiency as well. A good cleaning may be just the ticket. A Vacuum, a brush, and some compressed air have "fixed" quite a few systems with mysterious symptoms for me in the past. Especially those that appear to contain more hair than the pet currently does.

If memory fails while testing with something like Memtest86, a quick check of the BIOS settings and possibly less agressive memory settings can resolve it. Also mis-matched or dissimilar memory and socket metal types can be a cause. IE: gold plated memory module contacts and tin plated contacts on the MB. Not usually a problem these days, but it occasionally was years ago. Sometimes just removing and reseating the memory can resolve it, but it may return in time if it was the cause.

I suspect that the concerns that were encountered here by MYSH are probably a hardware/configuration issue but will provide the following anyway: Failed attempts at FTP downloads can sometimes be caused by using poor tools to download with. I use WS_FTP_Pro in Windows and have had excellent results, although I do usually check the MD5s of the larger or more important files. I have had very few errors if it is done right. Unfortunately it is not usually a free program. I am certain that there are many other good FTP programs that are either free or relatively inexpensive. Internet Explorer just doesn't seem to cut it for me and neither does FireFox, for files as large as these CD/DVD isos. I more recently just seem to prefer BitTorrent for these files, especially when the "seeders" outnumber the "leechers" like they do on the Knoppix torrents lately. The software has evolved to the point where it is quite reliable and stable. I have had great results myself with the BitTorrent version 4.0.4 and have been made aware of several successful downloads of the V 4.0.1 DVD with it. I did have numerous "stack" errors with the beta version 4.1.4, but did not encounter any after uninstalling it and going to 4.0.4 a few days later when it was first released. When a popular file is in high demand, the demand can bring the FTP mirrors down to a crawl, but more people participating in a Torrent seems to be a good thing. It is usually well worth the trouble to get it working.

I guess that puts me in this for the entire nickel now and not just my three cents worth as before. I would like to know what eventually resolves the issue. It sounds like it will be one for the textbooks. Please keep me posted on the results, good OR bad.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the file. I'll try it now and see if it works. Thanks again.

I'm downloading the 50 megabyte file now. The other link you gave me says, "File Transfer: Unavailable". Thanks for your help. Hopefully this can fix the file. Maybe I need to defrag my computer or something.

Ok, there are a bunch of Par files inside this ZIP. How do I use them to repair my ISO file?

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette
    Ok, there are a bunch of Par files inside this ZIP. How do I use them to repair my ISO file?
    It's been mentioned several times. Quickpar is the program, put the par2s in the same directory as the iso, it will determine how many blocks are needed for repair and give you the option to repair if it has enough repair blocks.

Thanks. It says it needs 112 more blocks, but I'm not able to click on repair. I wonder why (it's not clickable).

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette
    Thanks. It says it needs 112 more blocks, but I'm not able to click on repair. I wonder why (it's not clickable).
    It's because you would need a lot more par2 repair blocks than I computer and uploaded. You don't have enough data to create the final file based on how much of your file is goos and the number of repair blocks you have, so the button can't function. I made each block 1,152,000 bytes and uploaded about 60 blocks (if I recall right). This was plenty for the purpose that I made the par2 set (Mysh's problem) and it did allow him to repair his download. But the corruption that you have is obviously much different. If I had computed enough blocks I would have to upload another 112 blocks to you for Quickpar to have enough information to make the repairs to your system. Since I didn't computer enough, I don't think that I can make more now that would work with the old ones, I think that I would have to make a new par set with 112 block plus the number of blocks you already have (I think that number is 60,) or about 200 total megs of data. It would also take me several hours just to computer that large a par set for a 3.09 gig ISO. Since I'm about to go to bed I couldn't even begin the upload until some time late Thursday night (can't do it Thursday evening because I have some other commitmints for my bandwidth Thursday). Looking at the current BitTorrent download speeds, you would certainly get a BitTorrent download before that.

Sorry, we tried, but at least now you know the extent of the damage to your file. Sorry the par set wasn't enough in your case. I would suggest that you try another BitTorrent download.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast