Thread: Uploading a Linux Latex file using windows and aol

Uploading a Linux Latex file using windows and aol

If I create a latex file on a floppy or on my mounted win 98 drive using Knoppix 3.1 , and I wish to upload it to a journal or arxiv using AOL and a winmodem ( telephone line), do I have to format the floppy as DOS ( windows) or can I format it as Linux and still send it via aol when running win 98 and AOL?

If anyone is in math here, can they tell me if Arxiv or journals will understand how to read a latex file written in linux but uploaded as a DOS formated file?

The point of this nonsense is to avoid ( for a few weeks anyway) buying an external linux modem and getting another home service provider, because stupid AOL doesn't support Linux.

thanks
    Penny

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Uploading a Linux Latex file using windows and aol

Quote Originally Posted by algebraic
    If I create a latex file on a floppy or on my mounted win 98 drive using Knoppix 3.1 , and I wish to upload it to a journal or arxiv using AOL and a winmodem ( telephone line), do I have to format the floppy as DOS ( windows) or can I format it as Linux and still send it via aol when running win 98 and AOL?
    You want to use a Windows formatter floppy (FAT) and not a Linux formatted floppy. Linux reads and writes FAT floppies (or hard disk partitions) just fine, Windows can not read any Linux partition, floppy or hard disk.

If anyone is in math here, can they tell me if Arxiv or journals will understand how to read a latex file written in linux but uploaded as a DOS formated file?
    I'm not in math, don't know what the journals want. But I would expect that the ascii file is the same, unless you run into the Linux/DOS New Line to CR/LF thing (Unin/Linux uses one byte between lines, DOS uses two). I don't expect latex to have a problem with this and there are plenty of simple programs to replace the New Line with CR/LF pairs if it turns out that you need to do this.

The point of this nonsense is to avoid ( for a few weeks anyway) buying an external linux modem and getting another home service provider, because stupid AOL doesn't support Linux.
    Not at all an uncommon issue, most of us run both systems because there is something or other we want to run that is available for Windows but not Linux. I would consider it more important to move away from AOL and on to something else than to move completely away from Windows.

Dear Harry,

//I don't expect latex to have a problem with this and there are plenty of simple programs to replace the New Line with CR/LF pairs if it turns out that you need to do this.

What are these programs, and do they already exist in Knoppix 3.1? Or, do they run under the windows 98 system? Can I download them using aol, and if they are linux programs how can I run them using the live CD?
    best
    Penny

p.s. I am not otherwise all that unhappy with aol. It does tend to crash far too often. In a few weeks, when I have a bit more money, I will probably buy a Linux external modem and add a service provider that handles Linux.
    But, I will keep AOL for such things as free XM satellite stations ( classical and broadway) and because people I know recall my aol e-mail addy easily: (Penny PI).

Administrator Site Admin-
    What are these programs, and do they already exist in Knoppix 3.1? Or, do they run under the windows 98 system? Can I download them using aol, and if they are linux programs how can I run them using the live CD?

p.s. I am not otherwise all that unhappy with aol. It does tend to crash far too often. In a few weeks, when I have a bit more money, I will probably buy a Linux external modem and add a service provider that handles Linux.
    But, I will keep AOL for such things as free XM satellite stations ( classical and broadway) and because people I know recall my aol e-mail addy easily: (Penny PI).
    Penny,

I do not expect a problem with your LyX files. If you do need a translation program, I have a tiny old DOS one that I can send you. I hadn't used it in years and it took a bit of digging to find but I have it zipped up and ready to e-mail. Send me your e-mailaddress by the Private Messages feature near the top of this page and I'll get a copy to you. Do not post your e-mail address in these forums, spammers will harvest it.

The program I have runs under DOS. I expect there are plenty of things that will do it under Linux as well if you do a little searching. I don't know of any Linux program that does only this, but I think you could do it just by typing the right command line and using awk (you can do an awful lot of strange things just by typing the right command to awk).

As for AOL, if you're happy with it, so be it. But I've known other dial-up users who saw vast improvements when they changed to other dial-up services. High speed access keeps getting cheaper. Here DSL "lite" is now just a few bucks more a month that I used to pay for dial-up, and less than having a second phone line for a modem would be. I'm not clear about the free XM radio deal. Do they actually give you radio that you receive free over a satellite receiver for being their customer, or do you get it over the Internet connection? If over the Internet then tieing up a phone line to hear low bandwidth audio doesn't seem like a good plan A high speed connection will take you into the 21st century and let you stream lots of audio and other content to you without tieing up a phone line. Saving and buying an external dial-up modem might not make sense for you, it would not for me.

If you want an invite for a free gmail account, just let me know. It may be smart to start using one and trying to move your old contacts to it for the day you finally get tired of AOL and want a high speed connection. I think AOL is letting the invites through, although I had heard talk a while back that they were blocking them (no matter what else you say about them, you can't say they are not sneaky enough).

Good luck with LyX, send me that e-mail address if you want the old converter that I have.

Harry