Thread: Any Remastered knoppix 3.9 CD?

Member registered user

Any Remastered knoppix 3.9 CD?

Hi guys,
    I have issues with knoppix 3.9 CD, KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso to be exact. i use the information from http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition to boot into the ISO itself. Firstly, the wallpaper and the splash screen looks like it's version 1.0 beta. a major issue i am having is with my (company)LAN connection. the first time that mozilla loads(before i see any mozilla GUI) , the whole system hangs; or, if i try to let Konqueror connect to the internet, KABOOM! the system halts, no fancy keystrokes can save me. i have to restart back and try my luck. The lock-ups occur without fail and so i need your opinion guys about this. oh, in knoppix 3.8, i experience lock-ups only when i open mozilla. for my topic's question,
    1)I need to know of any available remastered ISOs (or if you have any) so as to have knoppix 3.9, but a different splash screen
    2)Is there a possible cure for my lock-ups? i tried to ping other websites, no go.
    3)What things/features do i miss if i just use knoppix 3.8 or 4.0 DVD?

Thanks in advance,
    Cyto

Moderator Moderator

Re: Any Remastered knoppix 3.9 CD?

Quote Originally Posted by CytoTech
    Hi guys,
    I have issues with knoppix 3.9 CD, KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso to be exact. i use the information from http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition to boot into the ISO itself. Firstly, the wallpaper and the splash screen looks like it's version 1.0 beta. a major issue i am having is with my (company)LAN connection. the first time that mozilla loads(before i see any mozilla GUI) , the whole system hangs; or, if i try to let Konqueror connect to the internet, KABOOM! the system halts, no fancy keystrokes can save me. i have to restart back and try my luck. The lock-ups occur without fail and so i need your opinion guys about this. oh, in knoppix 3.8, i experience lock-ups only when i open mozilla. for my topic's question,
    1)I need to know of any available remastered ISOs (or if you have any) so as to have knoppix 3.9, but a different splash screen
    2)Is there a possible cure for my lock-ups? i tried to ping other websites, no go.
    3)What things/features do i miss if i just use knoppix 3.8 or 4.0 DVD?
    Thanks in advance,
    Cyto
    Which links / files of the wiki/Win_Partition did you use ?
    The inird_ntfs.gz file is different for each version of Knoppix (because of the kernel drivers need to match the kernel version and also because of the various updates done on the linuxrc boot script). Cheers, Gilles

Member registered user
    um, i used the files for the knoppix 3.81 from link: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/Knoppix382.zip but nothing specific to 3.9. but i'm thinking of downgrading to just 3.8 if i'm not missing much (please tell me what i'm missing in 3.9). i'm also currently downloading 4.0 dvd if the wallpaper/splash is good..

I see in other distros' ISO image (i use Nero Imagedrive to load ISO as virtual CD) that they have miniroot.gz and linux kernel files; can i just try to extract those and use it for grub, add an entry with their settings to the menu.lst then load it and run the image from the hdd?

Moderator Moderator
    um, i used the files for the knoppix 3.81 from link: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/Knoppix382.zip but nothing specific to 3.9. but i'm thinking of downgrading to just 3.8 if i'm not missing much (please tell me what i'm missing in 3.9). i'm also currently downloading 4.0 dvd if the wallpaper/splash is good..

I see in other distros' ISO image (i use Nero Imagedrive to load ISO as virtual CD) that they have miniroot.gz and linux kernel files; can i just try to extract those and use it for grub, add an entry with their settings to the menu.lst then load it and run the image from the hdd?
    No. I modified the linuxrc file of the miniroot.gz and added some missing tools and drivers to make it work from the hdd, reason to name it minirt_ntfs.gz, even though it will allow you to boot also from fat and ext2/3. Regards, Gilles

Member registered user
    I believe you're right by experience. I haven't got the time though to learn more about this linuxrc file this week. I tried the other distro and used its own files and booted grub, it went straight into the desktop with lots of erros before it. all i can do is to move my mouse and click the "start" button(it has the xpde desktop). anyway, i'm contented with knoppix and i would probbably just use it for the moment since i can surf the 'net with it and access the mainframe using x3270. i just wish i could access my lotus notes mails since everybody in the office contacts me through lotus notes. i'll just post a new message in the forum about that. thanks Gilles!

Moderator Moderator
    I believe you're right by experience. I haven't got the time though to learn more about this linuxrc file this week. I tried the other distro and used its own files and booted grub, it went straight into the desktop with lots of erros before it. all i can do is to move my mouse and click the "start" button(it has the xpde desktop). anyway, i'm contented with knoppix and i would probbably just use it for the moment since i can surf the 'net with it and access the mainframe using x3270. i just wish i could access my lotus notes mails since everybody in the office contacts me through lotus notes. i'll just post a new message in the forum about that. thanks Gilles!
    FYI, I got lotus notes working with knoppix using a permanent home directory and crossover (an improved version of wine). Good luck, Gilles

Member registered user
    Oh yah, saw that, however i havent got the diskspace for knoppix to do that.
    thanks for the share though. i'm finished downloading knoppix 4.0 dvd and a bit later i'll try to boot it off with your tools. was it hard doing the minirt_ntfs.gz thing?

Moderator Moderator
    Oh yah, saw that, however i havent got the diskspace for knoppix to do that.
    thanks for the share though. i'm finished downloading knoppix 4.0 dvd and a bit later i'll try to boot it off with your tools. was it hard doing the minirt_ntfs.gz thing?
    Most of the work was done by the Knoppix Japanese Team for the first update of the linuxrc and "tinybit" for grldr. I have put together the pieces to make it work and then updated the kernel modules and tools for the various Knoppix releases. Best Regards, Gilles