Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to set up pppoe connection?

how to set up pppoe connection?

Greetings to everybody that's gonna read this

I recently started using linux so the first thing I tried to do was setting up my i-net connection.
    Because it uses pppoe protocol I first tried with `pppoeconf`. It found concentrator and I hit enter to all the questions it asked me and typed in the username and password i got from the ISP. Everything was ok but when it triggered the connection what happend was: `RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.2`
    I have no idea what does it mean.I found information and tried other ways as entering manually DNS ,service-name and so on in bash shell but it doesn't help me.
    What confuses me more is that in XP I connect to lan that's always on and at the same time I use pppoe too.As u can guess I'm not good in networking matter so a bit of help will be very useful to me.Thanks in advance

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: how to set up pppoe connection?

Quote Originally Posted by b0
    What confuses me more is that in XP I connect to lan that's always on and at the same time I use pppoe too.....
    Please define what you network is composed of. When I first got my DSL connection they installed some Windows PPPoE software, but I shut down the system as soon as the tech left (I didn't want him there at all but the ISP insisted on sending him out if I got an external ethernet modem, which I insisted on), went out and got a router, and connected it to the network before I would turn the network back on. I did note that, to my surprise, the system did work before I got rid of the PPPoE software, but it was not needed on the network once I installed the router, and, of course, the system was far more stable and better off without it.

On my Knoppix systems, thanks to a router which does DHCP and provides a NAT firewall, I just boot Knoppix and I'm on the Internet, no need to fool with PPPoE software at all. If your LAN is based on any of the inexpensive home (SOHO) DSL/cable router on the market today I would expect the same for you.

Yes that really sounds reasonable, and I even checked up some router prices recently but I'm not sure what exactly I need.

Yes that really sounds reasonable, and I even checked up some router prices recently but I'm not sure what exactly I need.
    You say you already have a LAN, so again I'll ask, what hardware are you using now? Is the LAN not attached to the modem? What type of connection is on the modem?

I don't know what the prices are like there, but they have become dirt cheap here. When my first 4 port wired router first came out it was selling for around $150 US. I paid a bit over $100 US about 5 1/2 years ago. Since then I've bought a few wired/wireless routers dirt cheap, usually $10 US or less after rebate. In the past few weeks I even saw an 802.11g router at $2.99 US after rebate, and this week I'm pretty sure I saw one on sale again at the $5 after rebate price. Of course, you can still pay $50 US for an 802.11g one if you don't shop around and maybe as much as $90 US if you want one of the ones with unstandardized new high speed features, but the days of the over $100 4 port wired router are long gone. It's a great investment, even at the $100 price I paid for my first one I figured I got a lot for the money, in terms of the added safety a hardwall firewall brings to the network, a DHCP server, and the ease of setup as I add new systems to the network or boot a new Live CD and don't have to deal with PPPoE software. And it's extremely handy to have every system on your LAN on the Internet. When working on one system, for example, if you need information that can be found on-line, you just use another computer. And you can share that connection quite well. A second computer by my side has been seeding the newest Knoppix on BitTorrent since about an hour after it was first released, I only pause it when I want the full upstream bandwidth for on-line gamming, otherwise I see no impact on my Internet access and can use the bandwidth that I'm paying for anyway to help distribute Knoppix.

Also, what questions do you have about what you need? I and others will be glad to try to help. As long as you have an ethernet connection on an external DSL modem (and not one of those damn USB modems) you likely can connect just about any router. There are a lot of different features in different brands, but with one exception (and early Belkin model that has since been discontinued) all have worked fine for me and worked well with Knoppix. If you can still find routers that are wired only they should be the cheapest, but 802.11b and even 802.11g routers (which usually also have 4 wired 10/100 ports) are becoming extremely cheap. I would think you might as well buy one with wireless capability, even if you are not going to use it at the momnet, unless there is a premium cost for it.

802.11g is faster than 802.11b (rated at 54mb/s vs 11 mb/s) but even an 802.11b router is bottle-necked by the DSL connection and not the wireless speed, so if the wireless computer is used primarily for Internet access then you'll see little or no difference. Obviously if you are transfering large files between systems on the LAN then the speed is an issue, but a wired connection will be significantly faster. If you want to mention a few of the brands and models that you have looked at we can try to give you some advice on what featutes one has that another lacks or how different manufacturers approach an issue.

Thanks for all of the advises ,but I'll need some time to figure it out what exactly do I need.The problem is that I knew nothing bout routers except for some theory ,cause I've never worked with one.But that certainly will be the next step in getting deeper in networking.Prices u mentioned are really low and u can't find a piece for this money except if it was produced in USSR(it should be really old).We have no rebates so far.I was in the states last summer but it was time i didn't need one.What do u suggest for home use of just 1-2 pcs.
    As for the connection I have no DSL modem but a standart 'Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC'.That's why I'm not sure what to do and how is my connection really set.LAN settings are as follow: IP address and mask that are aways on.PPPoE settings are changed everytime I connect.The problem as I see it(not sure) is that I have to add the service-name and access concentrator in one or another linux file but don't know where.

Senior Member registered user
    Do you have static IP address at your provider? How did you configure your net card? Try with DHCP or static. You have to setup both pppoe and net card. You are on some local net or cable maybe (no modem)?

Edit: one more thing - how did you put your user name in pppoeconf - I must put [user_name]at[my_provider_domain_name] = tdjokicatverat.net, here at = @.

What do u suggest for home use of just 1-2 pcs.
    As to what I suggest, it would be harder to answer that rather than give you info on what is available to you there, since I don't know which of the products I see here are available in your country. Linksys generally makes good stuff, but Linksys models are seen on sale less (although I have see the old 4 port wired version for $5 after rebate a few times recently). Other models may have more features though as they try to compete with Linksys. Some models, for example, let you enable and disable Internet access computer by computer based on time of day, which can be great if you have kids who you want to easily limit the access for to times when they should be up or times when you should be there to supervise. Others keep better logs of activity. But all do the basic network acces and firewall stuff.

Almost all of these routers support 4 wired connections (beware of one Linksys model that only supported one). And they can be expanded to support more than four by adding switches or hubs, some limit the expansion to 32 computers, some claim to support as many as 254 on a local network.

Unfortunately, just being here for a short visit may not have helped. The rebates often take months to be processed and received (I just got 2 today that were over 13 weeks old). And there may be compatability issues that are not worth the savings. For example, you would be stuck with a US power connector and have to resolve the power issue for your location. Wireless routers may be configured for the channels legal in the country sold. And some routers sold in other countries support PPPoA as well as PPPoE while the same model in the US may not (although I expect that if you need PPPoE that should not be a problem).

As for the connection I have no DSL modem but a standart 'Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC'.
    I do not understand. If you have no DSL modem, what are you talking PPPoE to? What do you use to connect to the Internet with? This gets us back to my first question, describe your network and the equipment that you use to connect to the Internet. Without this information you may find that we make assumptions based on what you do say and give you bad advice.

Greetings
    It's been a while since i last posted something here but I had no time recently to resolve my problem so i still can't make Internet works with knoppix.The last thing Mr Harry Kuhman asked me was how can I talk about dsl if I have no modem at all.It's because I am using lan that is set up to use pppoe protocol.It looks to me like some kind of VPN but can't be suer.Here I enclose my settings under XP:
    1. lan: i have an ip, subnetmask , DHCP & Autoconfiguration enabled
    2. pppoe: i have ip, mask, defaultgw, dns servers
    I talked with my ISP administrarator and what he told me was that i have to enter my service name and acces concentrator but he wasn't sure how to do it with knoppix.If someone can help me with that i would be very pleased.

Senior Member registered user
    I talked with my ISP administrarator...
    Maybe it is enough to setup ADSL/PPPoE conection. Find this in K-menu and try.
    Everything was ok but when it triggered the connection what happend was: `RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.2`
    You said this in your first post. Did you have some problems with this, I think I had same masage, but conection to Internet worked. Did you try to surf? After this masage, start your FireFox and see what will hapen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast