Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficulties with Bittorrent downloading

Member registered user

Difficulties with Bittorrent downloading

I wanted to download the DVD iso and tried to follow the script as shown in "Download or Buy Knoppix - Download with Bittorrent", 2nd paragraph. Incidentally, I couldn't copy and paste this text to quote it here.

So I downloaded as advised Bittorrent (In spite of having it already in the 3.9 CD I'm using) and the DL file and placed both in the directory where I want to save the iso image. I went to a Konsole and got this:

knoppix@0[hdb1]$ cd knop
    knoppix@0[knop]$ dir
    KNOPPIX_V4.0DVD-2005-08-16-EN.torrent
    bittorrent-4.0.4.linux_i686-2_al
    knoppix@0[knop]$ --btdownloadgui KNOPPIX-2005-08-16.torrent
    bash: --btdownloadgui: command not found
    knoppix@0[knop]$
    knoppix@0[knop]$ btdownloadgui KNOPPIX-2005-08-16.torrent
    bash: btdownloadgui: command not found
    knoppix@0[knop]$
    I may be doing something wrong but can't figure out what it is.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Jorge,

I'm not going to be able to walk you through a Knoppix BT install and use, as I have only used BT under Windows, but wanted to mention a few items:

It is good that you did try to download a new version, the BitTorrent on 3.9 is an older version. At least with Windows this version has priblems with files over 2 gig (I don't know for sure that the Linux version has the same problem, since it's likely a Windows problem, but since it's mostly the same code it could).

The torrent file does not need to be placed where you want the download to be placed. Download placement is part of the BT setup. On the system I use to download and seed I keep the torrents on the desktop, but the files in a BT directory on the second partition.

Hopefully someone who knows Linux better can talk you through using BT there.

Junior Member registered user
    I have downloaded the DVD via mirror (not torrent) and it works fine.
    Bittorrent is a fine way (like other share-programs) to spread software but its under attack.

fud

Quote Originally Posted by killozap
    I have downloaded the DVD via mirror (not torrent) and it works fine.
    Bittorrent is a fine way (like other share-programs) to spread software but its under attack.
    What the heck does under attack mean? The checksum that BitTorrent does on every segment as well as the entire file pretty much assures a user that someone can't insert anything malicious if one gets the torrent file from a known good source (like the official Knoppix BitTorrent source). Sure, if you are an idiot and go to warez sites and get something claiming to be the latest greatest warez ripoff you might well get infected, but you can do that with a more traditional file download just as well, it's not BitTorrent that is the issue there. If you're saying that RIAA and MPAA don't like BitTorrent, well screw them, I don't like the MPAA or the RIAA and their very criminal ways. BitTorrent, as we are using it, is a very legitimate tool and perhaps what they don't like is that it demonstrates the valid use of the very legitimate tool (by the way, they don't like the CD burner in your computer either, want to give that up and go back to floppies?).

Just for reference, the 4.0.1 DVD download by BitTorrent delivered more megabytes of files in the first 10 days that the torrents were up than the 3.9 downloads did in the first three months. My Knoppixt BitTorent downloads have been much fater than the old mrror downloads, even with a growing number of Knoppix users. And I used to get a lot of corrupt mirror downloads (around 50%!), and have had no bad BitTorrent downloads. It's fine that you got a good mirror download, and the mirriors are certainly handy for some people behind firewalls that they don't control, but for the average user BitTorrent is a far better choice.

Under Attack means that users are told (via press, media etc.) using bittorent is illegal and so stop using it.
    I have tried to get a version of Propellerhead Rebirth via bittorent and no sources were available.
    Rebirth is released as free software after the selling has stopped.

Nochma in Deutsch :
    Die Leute werden durch Medienberichte bekloppt gemacht...

BiTTorrent is perfectly legal and to say that you used an alternative (in this case the mirrors) because BT is "under attack" only helps spread the fud. In this case there is a good torrent available for each of the English and German versions, and I encourage using them over the mirrors for many reasons.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

I have not tried to download knoppix via bittorrent after trying do download rebirth with that. Perhaps i was too late downloading rebirth with bittorrent, but i am not sure. The Music and Movie-Industry is attakcing all free sharing-nets. But i got it on ebay, ehhh emule ...

I will load the next (as my last CD) via bittorent ...

Member registered user
    Hi Harry,

I might as well download it under Windows, something I'll try to do on my own. Should I fail, I'll ask you again for specific advice.

However, I think the matter of downloading the DVD iso image from a "light" CD version, currently 3.9, with Bittorrent is most important and would deserve that somebody write a fool-proof detailed script such as the one found in "Download or Buy Knoppix - Download with Bittorrent", 2nd paragraph, but workable and fully tested

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Martínez
    Hi Harry,

I might as well download it under Windows, something I'll try to do on my own. Should I fail, I'll ask you again for specific advice.

However, I think the matter of downloading the DVD iso image from a "light" CD version, currently 3.9, with Bittorrent is most important and would deserve that somebody write a fool-proof detailed script such as the one found in "Download or Buy Knoppix - Download with Bittorrent", 2nd paragraph, but workable and fully tested
    I agree Jorge that being able to download the newer version with the older version is important. Just don't have enough Linux experience to be the one to do that write-up. And I have been watching the version numbers and am very disapointed that Knoppix hasn't given much priority to installing a more recent version of BT.

I don't expect that you'll have any trouble with the Windows version. Be sure that you use a current version (4.0.3 or 4.0.4), older versions are known to have issues beyond 2 gigs under Windows (and I would shy away from the 4.1.x betas until after I had a good Knoppix DVD download, 3 gig it too much time and space to risk on beta software). And I would stick with the Official BitTorrent or at least do my homework before downloading and installing other BitTorrent knockoffs, some do deliver adware and worse. You can download the file to a NTFS or a FAT32 partition just fine. The only caution I have to pass along to Windows users is that networking may not let you transfer that 3 gig ISO file across a Windows network (at least it fails with a Win98 system on the network). There are ways around this, I split one ISO up using Winrar and recombined it on the other side afer a Windows network transfer of the parts, another time I just fired up a FTP client and server and transfered the ISO locally by FTP between systems. But the network issue is the only problem I had. Be sure you open the BT ports in your router (you would have to do that with BT under Knoppix too) and any windows firewall. And see the downloading faq for anything I may have forgotten.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Member registered user
    Thanks again, Harry.

I don't think I'll have any trouble downloading the last not beta BitTorrent for Windows, installing and running it as any other program. I have no local network, only two separate PCs. I'll try to find the FAQ you mention. I have Win-XP but FAT32 partitions.

But I'm a little in the dark regarding any adjustments in the routers and firewall. Are the routers a piece of equipment in the Internet Service Provider? If so, how do I reach them? The firewall is included in W-XP, I assume I can find how to temporarily disable it. Isn't it dangerous to run without firewall?

Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast