Hi guys, I have some ideas, not sure if they are valuable to you or not, actually, you've probably thought of them already, but here goes just in case.

There should be a klik ioslave. What would it do? Well, on downloading a .cmg file it would ask you if you want to install locally or globally. If globally it would install it to a shared location on the computer and add it to the system menu for all users and add it's icon to the system icon directory, fonts, etc.. If local it would download hte cmg file to a local directory, say ~/.klik/appdir and then add a link to your menu or even ask you if you want a link added to your desktop and add it's icon to your ~/.kde directory, fonts to where they have to go, etc.

Now, the klik ioslave would also be inotify aware (is in the newer linux kernels) so that if the cmg file is moved or deleted from these special klik directories, then the ioslave it automatically cleans up the menus and icons, fonts, etc. placed there by the program or updates them appropriately. It could also automatically remove config files put on the local system by the application. Of course it would probably have to keep a profile of any files that get added locally, but that wouldn't be too hard as a list of these files could probably be put in the the cmg files AppInfo file. This way you have proper application installation and integration with the system, as well as automated management of that application.

This idea could probably be extended further, but I think that with some work, klik is very very promising. If we could get everyone to standardize on this for anything at the desktop application level, then we essentially have fixed the Linux application install problem. (We could still have apt & dpkg/urpmi/yum & rpm, etc. system for upgrading system components)

Let me know what you think.