Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Customising/Upgrading the Kernel - An Evolving HowTo

Member registered user
    I had the same trouble with that module. I think it's a bug in the kernel code for that module (...looking around for lightning bolts....). Whew! I just deselected that module, and the other modules and kernel compiled fine.

But I'm still having unionfs and cloop trouble. The latest attempt gave me an .iso that gets to
    Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hdc...insmod: error inserting '/modules/cloop.kn': -1 Invalid module format

(qemu is great for this!)

I'm using cloop 2.02, unionfs 1.1.1, kernel 2.6.14.3, and I converted minirt.gz to the initramfs format, as explained in the other HOWTO by firnsy (worked great, by the way).

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    What goes wrong?
    root@3[linux]# make modules
    CHK include/linux/version.h
    CC [M] drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.o
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c: In function 'peek_by_4':
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c:962: warning: passing argument 1 of 'readb' makes pointer from integer without a cast
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c:968: warning: passing argument 1 of 'readl' makes pointer from integer without a cast
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c:976: warning: passing argument 1 of 'readb' makes pointer from integer without a cast
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c: In function 'poke_by_4':
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c:1044: warning: passing argument 2 of 'writeb' makes pointer from integer without a cast
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c:1050: warning: passing argument 2 of 'writel' makes pointer from integer without a cast
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c:1058: warning: passing argument 2 of 'writeb' makes pointer from integer without a cast
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c: In function 'sdla_start':
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c:1481: warning: passing argument 2 of 'writeb' makes pointer from integer without a cast
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c: In function 'detect_s514':
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c:2002: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c:2015: warning: passing argument 2 of 'writeb' makes pointer from integer without a cast
    make[3]: *** [drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [drivers/net/wan] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [drivers/net] Error 2
    make: *** [drivers] Error 2
    root@3[linux]#
    The bolded line is your problem, is this the debian kernel source or the vanilla kernel source from www.kernel.org. I only use the vanilla kernel sources and have not yet experienced this problem, in fact to a quick locate I see that my sdladrv.ko module has been built.

Have you applied any patches to the source and if so which ones?

Senior Member registered user
    drivers/net/wan/sdladrv.c:2002: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
    Quote Originally Posted by firnsy
    The bolded line is your problem, is this the debian kernel source or the vanilla kernel source from www.kernel.org. I only use the vanilla kernel sources and have not yet experienced this problem, in fact to a quick locate I see that my sdladrv.ko module has been built.

Have you applied any patches to the source and if so which ones?
    First, it's about some two or tree years ago I compiled a kernel in Knoppix environment. This time was the first attempt to compile new 2.6 kernel. I would prefer to use Debian kernel because they are already patched kernels.

Anyhow, I used vanilla kernel 2.6.14.3 (stable) from kernel.org without any extra patches. What patches should be applied?

I used also config file from Knoppix 4.0.2 (2.6.12 kernel) and made first 'make oldconfig' and added new modules at the same time. Then I made 'make menuconfig' just to check some things.

Everything seemed right so I thought to compile the kernel in a Debian way by make-kpkg. The kernel was done but modules not. And no deb package. Now I can take bzImage, System.map and .config but it profit me nothing without modules compiled for the new kernel.

If I try 'make-kpkg modules_image' I get cloop deb package fine (have installed sources for unionfs and cloop) - don't know why unionfs is not done by the same time. My sources are in /usr/src/modules directory.

I think this evening I try to compile new kernel in my installed system. That error message came in chroot environment.

-tapsa-

Okay, making modules succeeded after removing wan modules. Same error message both compiling wan to kernel or as module. Is there a patch existing to this?

Next thing is compiling cloop: Debian way 'm-a a-i cloop' complains of missing linux-kernel-headers. Where can I find them to 2.6.14.3 kernel? Anyhow making a deb package 'make-kpkg modules_image' works and cloop is done correctly.

No time to finnish this today. I tell you if I succeeded after a couple of days.

-tapsa-

Now I can compile kernel OK by 'make-kpkg kernel_image modules_image'. Then I can install deb packages OK and tested new kernel in my installed version of Knoppix (done also initrd.img). I used also ArchCK patchet from http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php.

The problem is then not compling a kernel but getting it to boot from CD.

Now I get after creating /ramdisk (using Qemu):
    ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INITIAL RAMDISK!

So is the problem with initRAMFS or with unionfs? I have not stripped unionfs.ko which is 7031058 by size. I got unionfs-source by apt-get using unstable source (version 1.0.14-1). Where can I get newer unionfs (Linuxtag is not responding)?

-tapsa-

Member registered user
    Now I can compile kernel OK by 'make-kpkg kernel_image modules_image'. Then I can install deb packages OK and tested new kernel in my installed version of Knoppix (done also initrd.img). I used also ArchCK patchet from http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php.

The problem is then not compling a kernel but getting it to boot from CD.

Now I get after creating /ramdisk (using Qemu):
    ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INITIAL RAMDISK!

So is the problem with initRAMFS or with unionfs? I have not stripped unionfs.ko which is 7031058 by size. I got unionfs-source by apt-get using unstable source (version 1.0.14-1). Where can I get newer unionfs (Linuxtag is not responding)?

-tapsa-
    You're so close now ... mcreel and yourself highlight a good area that I should put in the howto and that is test your modules before going to the ISO creation stage.

Your problem is most definantly unionfs, the reason being is that if the module doesn't load correctly then the script just attempts to run the halt command. I was having that problem with the recent 2.6.14.3 kernel until I applied the patch on the previous page. Ensure you have compiled without any warnings, these can cause grief later on particularly if there symbol warnings.

I grab my unionfs source from the orinators ftp site located at ftp://ftp.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/pub/unionfs it also has the latest snapshots so that too could be useful.

If you're wondering how I test my modules before I build the ISO here is a quick summary.

Firstly I have a seperate machine on which I do all my remastering. I have Knoppix 3.9 installed to HDD, the version doesn't matter becuase all you need is a linux environment, grub (my preference) and access to the CLI. I used 3.9 becuase it was all I had at the time and it defaulted with grub ... sweet.

I'll just clarify two things when I mention RE, I'm referring to the Remastering Environment, ie the system I use to create my Remasters. I'll refer to my Remasters as Live CD (LCD) ... just to confuse a little.

Now before I compile a new kernel for my LCD I test the kernel in my RE using exactly the same .config as I would for the LCD. Why you ask? Becuase linux allows you to have a number of kernels installed on any one box and with a quick edit of grub and a reboot, one can ensure that the kernel and associated modules work as required. Also a reboot is a lot quicker than building the KNOPPIX file and then the ISO.

Once the kernel is built and rebooted to on the RE I can go ahead and compile the additional modules such as cloop/squashfs, unionfs, etc and modprobe them straight away to see if they insert correctly. If everything inserts without error, validated by using lsmod, then I know my .config works. I transfer the .config to the LCD source directory, chroot and compile with the know working .config.

Technically I could just copy the /usr/src of the RE to the /usr/src of the LCD source directory, chroot, make modules_install, copy bzImage, and System.map and save myself another recompilation, but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by firnsy
    I grab my unionfs source from the orinators ftp site located at ftp://ftp.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/pub/unionfs it also has the latest snapshots so that too could be useful.

Once the kernel is built and rebooted to on the RE I can go ahead and compile the additional modules such as cloop/squashfs, unionfs, etc and modprobe them straight away to see if they insert correctly. If everything inserts without error, validated by using lsmod, then I know my .config works. I transfer the .config to the LCD source directory, chroot and compile with the know working .config.
    Thank you! I never even thought testing modules by moprobe. Here's what I get:
    Code:
    tapsa@linux:~$ modprobe unionfs
    FATAL: Error inserting unionfs (/lib/modules/2.6.14.3/kernel/fs/unionfs.ko): Operation not permitted
    And dmesg nails it down...
    Code:
    unionfs: Unknown symbol __rcuref_hash
    I thought this was corrected by the kernel patch I applied http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php but it was not or my version is too old. Now I got unionfs 1.1.1 from ftp://ftp.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/pub/unionfs and am going to use it.

firnsy:
    What extra modules you are using? I compiled ndiswrapper and downloaded new ndisrapper-utils and it works fine. What about madwifi? What else? What extra modules are compiled in original Knoppix? This is very important to me, because my remastered version is downloadable for others from Funet. Until this day I have not touched to the kernel itself but now is time to go little futher Is in Kanotix something special or could .config file (much newer than in Knoppix 4.0.2) be used as a base configuration?

-tapsa-

Member registered user
    tapsa@linux:~$ modprobe unionfs
    FATAL: Error inserting unionfs (/lib/modules/2.6.14.3/kernel/fs/unionfs.ko): Operation not permitted
    [/code]
    And dmesg nails it down...
    Code:
    unionfs: Unknown symbol __rcuref_hash
    I posted the patch to fix this at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=96724#96724

I thought this was corrected by the kernel patch I applied http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php but it was not or my version is too old. Now I got unionfs 1.1.1 from ftp://ftp.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/pub/unionfs and am going to use it.
    As far as i'm aware the patch you applied does not fix it.

What extra modules you are using?
    The only additional modules i use are: fbsplash, unionfs and squashfs.

What extra modules are compiled in original Knoppix?
    I honestly couldn't say, i'm pretty sure the default config for all knoppix release are stored in /boot/config-XXXX

I still have problem compiling unionfs. I have tried stable 1.1.1 version and some latest snapshots, tried kernel 2.6.14.3 from kernel.org and 2.6.15-rc4 from Debian source - no success. This is what I get when compiling unionfs:

Code:
    make
    ******************************************************************************
    If you have questions about or problems building Unionfs, please read INSTALL.
    ******************************************************************************

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1 FISTDEVMK=/usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/fistdev.mk modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3/Module.symvers
               is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.o
    cc1: warnings being treated as errors
    /usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.c: In function 'create_whiteout':
    /usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.c:71: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'strncat' differ in signedness
    /usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.c: In function 'unionfs_refresh_hidden_dentry':
    /usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.c:267: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'lookup_one_len' differ in signedness
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
    make: *** [unionfs.ko] Error 2
    root@linux:/usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1#
    I have tried debian way 'make-kpkg --added-modules=unionfs modules_image' and pure make. What can I do more?

-tapsa-

Member registered user
    I'm not at all familiar with the debian way of making kernel images. I'm familiar with compiling source and as such, unless you wish to compile the vanilla sources from kernel.org I can't really provide additional assistance. The debian way of compiling things just adds more cruff (ie ensures compiling conforms to debian specification), all of which I don't think is necessary if all i'm doing is replacing the kernel, and associated modules.

All that aside, from the look of your error, the Debian way of compiling is treating your compiler warnings (doesn't normally halt compiling) as errors (does halt compiling) and as such is halting the process on something that traditional compiling (ie make) will ignore.

make
    ************************************************** ****************************
    If you have questions about or problems building Unionfs, please read INSTALL.
    ************************************************** ****************************

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1 FISTDEVMK=/usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/fistdev.mk modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3/Module.symvers
    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M] /usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.o
    cc1: warnings being treated as errors
    /usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.c: In function 'create_whiteout':
    /usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.c:71: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'strncat' differ in signedness
    /usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.c: In function 'unionfs_refresh_hidden_dentry':
    /usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.c:267: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'lookup_one_len' differ in signedness
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1/subr.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
    make: *** [unionfs.ko] Error 2
    root@linux:/usr/src/modules/unionfs-1.1.1#
    That being said this HOWTO is aimed to replace the kernel using a more traditional method, rather than make-kpkg. Unless you experience these problems having followed the HOWTO as written, it can not be improved to ensure others don't experience similar obstacles.

Thus I would request that you attempt to compile using the methods detailed, and report your errors based on them, then I can provide better assistance.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast