Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Customising/Upgrading the Kernel - An Evolving HowTo

Member registered user

HOWTO: Customising/Upgrading the Kernel - An Evolving HowTo

HOWTO: Upgrading the kernel

News - Fri, 09 Jun 2006
    * Finally updated using the semi-latest sources.

Change Log:
    * Version 1.4 - Fri, 09 Jun 2006
    Compiled using kernel version 2.6.16.20, additional information provided regarding cloop and unionfs compilation (thanks mcreel & hellospencer1).

* Version 1.3 - Sun, 02 Apr 2006
    Summarised the solutions within the thread (thanks guys/girls??).

* Version 1.2 - Thu, 01 Dec 2005
    Fixed ommission of making the actual kernel (thanks mcreel).

* Version 1.1 - Wed, 21 Sep 2005
    Elaborated compilation of cloop and unionfs

* Version 1.0 - Tue, 20 Sep 2005
    Initial write

Acknowledgements:
    Snippets are taken from the "Knoppix Custom Kernel" wiki
    * Daniel R. Tarsky
    * Marc Haber
    * Rich Ercolani

Contributing posters
    * antoine.boutet
    * hellospencer1
    * mcreel
    * meatwad
    * tr

Disclaimer:
    Always needed cause you just never know how people will interpret things. Please people, use this at your own risk. Whilst this method has and continues to work for me, I will not be held responsible for anything that might go wrong, due to an ommision or typo in this document. I too, like you, am human and do make mistakes.

Preface:
    There are many excellent guides for remastering Knoppix on these forums. The better ones, continue to evolve such as UnderScore's at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867. The following should be used in conjuction with a Remastering Howto as it will not cover the requirements for establishing or finishing a remastering sesssion.

This howto is based on the way I replace kernels. I like nothing better than seeing a new kernel release over at kernel.org and upgrading my remaster to the bleeding edge. The document will assume remastering of Knoppix since the inception of UnionFS and the solitary 2.6.x kernel. In time, support for more historic versions may be incorporated.

So you have downloaded your preferred version of Knoppix and there is a new kernel waiting at kernel.org, itching to be installed on your remaster. Taking Knoppix version 3.8.1/2 for example, it utlises the 2.6.11 kernel that has the command line properties patched to allow 512 characters instead of 256. And that's about it, it's exact configuration can be found at /boot/config-2.6.11 inside the compressed filesystem.

The miniroot
    Knoppix utilises a special image file known as an Initial RAM Disk (inirtd) image (ie. minirt.gz) for bootup. The minirt.gz file is in fact a minitaure root environment for Knoppix. It has the essential elements of a minimal root filesystem and performs the folling process:
    1. Probe the CD/DVD drive,
    2. Find the compressed filesystem (on the CD),
    3. Mount it,
    4. Switch the boot process from the mini root environment to the now available (de)compressed filesystem.

A look inside the minirt.gz file will reveal a number of directories and symlinks. The directories are /cdrom, /etc, /mnt, /modules, /proc and /static. Everything else is symlinked to /KNOPPIX, which is where the compressed system image will be mounted once minirt has does it's job.

Aside from the symlinks, /modules and /static stick out as non-traditional directories. /static is where the special statically-linked ash shell resides, which also doubles as init and modutils. When miniroot is mounted as a boot/root environment, the kernel executes the linuxrc script on the 'root' of miniroot with the static ash-knoppix. Because ash-knoppix (or 'init' in this context) is statically linked with modutils, you may also need to recompile ash-knoppix to upgrade your modutils for any newer kernel versions that may require them. This is of course in addition to installing the new modutils in your Knoppix image source directory.

The only modules in the /modules folder are the cloop module for the system image, scsi modules in case you happen to boot your CD from a SCSI CD-ROM and unionfs for merging the CDROM with the RAMDisk.

As linuxrc executes, it attempts to find the compressed filesystem image (ie KNOPPIX) from the medium you are booting from (eg. CD-ROM, USB, etc). At this point the whole filesystem is still in ram, so the medium must first be mounted to access the compressed filesystem image. Once mounted, a second RAMdisk is created with a dynamic size (percentage of of available and free memory) which will be used for /home and /var directories. Finally, cloop.o is loaded into the kernel and the compressed system image is mounted on /KNOPPIX, making all the symlinks work as part of the root filesystem. Next, more symlinks are created and important system files are migrated to the RAMdisk so they can be written to if need be.

Once linuxrc is finished, it gives control back to the kernel init process which in turn starts running the rc boot scripts, most notably knoppix-autoconfig.

What are we going to replace/upgrade:
    OK, the big issue with upgrading the kernel is that people are not always certain of what has to be replaced. If they encounter an error they first assumption is that not everything essential has been replaced. From my experience, in short, the steps are:

For the compressed filesystem (ie chroot environment, /source)
    1. Untar linux source
    2. Apply any patches
    3. Perform a make, make modules and make modules_install
    4. Copy bzImage, System.map and update symlinks in boot

For the miniroot image (ie /master)
    1. Copy bzImage
    2. Update modules with those created when compiling (eg. cloop, unionfs, etc).

In short, that is it ... now for a little elaboration

Compressed Filesystem (chroot environment)
    In your chroot environment you need to extract your linux kernel source (eg. version 2.X.YY) to the /usr/src directory. It's always good to point the linux symlink to the working source.
    Code:
    tar -xjf /path/to/linux-2.X.YY.tar.bz2 -C /usr/src
    cd /usr/src
    ln -s linux-2.X.YY linux
    cd linux
    At this point I will apply any patches I want to use in the kernel, for example squashfs, gensplash, etc. Once the kernel is patched to your liking it is time to configure it. To ensure the new kernel is baselined from the Knoppix kernel I use the Knoppix config as the baseline. Taking Knoppix version 3.8.1/2 as an example, and using the default options that popup:
    Code:
    cp /boot/config-2.6.11 .config
    make oldconfig
    make menuconfig
    make
    make modules
    make modules_install
    If you are unable to 'make oldconfig' or 'make menuconfig' becuase it borks with errors then it is likely that you just need to set up the asm symlink as follows:
    Code:
    cd include
    ln -s asm-i386 asm
    cd ..
    I don't do a 'make install' cause I find it simpler to just copy what I need.
    Code:
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.X.YY
    cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.X.YY
    cp .config /boot/config-2.X.YY
    Update the boot symlinks
    Code:
    cd /boot
    rm config System.map vmlinuz
    ln -s config-2.X.YY config
    ln -s System.map-2.X.YY System.map
    ln -s vmlinuz-2.X.YY vmlinuz
    At this point you will need to obtain both the cloop and unionfs sources to ensure compatibilty with the new kernel. For this we will be using cloop-2.02-1 and until a stable unionfs 2.X release we will use the snapshot 20060503-0408, but you may use later (bleeding edge ) You can obtain these sources from:

I extract them to the /usr/src/modules directory for clarity.
    Code:
    tar -xzf /path/to/cloop-source.tar.gz -C /usr/src/modules
    tar -xzf /path/to/unionfs-source.tar.gz -C /usr/src/modules
    cd /usr/src/modules
    Compiling cloop
    When compiling cloop, you no longer require the conf.vars file (resides in /usr/src/linux), instead you can simply edit the cloop Makefile to specify the name of your kernel. Using 'vi' or your favourite equivalent text editor, open the Makefile.
    Code:
    cd cloop-XX.YY
    vi Makefile
    Edit the line below to read the version of the kernel you are upgrading to (2.X.YY)
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/make

KVERSION=2.6.16.16-pk1                              # Edit this to your new kernel version
    KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/$(KVERSION)/build
    Save and close the file and start the compiling process.
    Code:
    make
    The 2.02-X sources should compile with no worries what so ever, however for historic purposes if you come accross the following compilation issue:
    cc -I/usr/src/linux/include -I/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mach-default -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -fno-builtin -nostdlib -DKBUILD_MODNAME="cloop" -DKBUILD_BASENAME="cloop" compressed_loop.c -c -o compressed_loop.o
    compressed_loop.c: In function `clo_read_actor':
    compressed_loop.c:205: error: structure has no member named `buf'
    compressed_loop.c: In function `clo_read_from_file':
    compressed_loop.c:231: error: structure has no member named `buf'
    make: *** [compressed_loop.o] Error 1
    Chances are you just need to modify, funnily enough as the previous output says, lines 205 and 231 of compressed_loop.c from:
    205: struct clo_read_data *p = (struct clo_read_data*)desc->buf;
    231: desc.buf = (char*)&cd;
    to
    205: struct clo_read_data *p = (struct clo_read_data*)desc->arg.buf;
    231: desc.arg.buf = (char*)&cd;
    With that done cloop should compile just fine and resulting in a cloop.ko module in the current directory.

Compiling unionfs
    Now for unionfs, the compilation requires ctags to be installed, so you'll have to apt-get install it if you haven't got it already. Similarly we will edit the Makefile to point to our new kernel version as well as remove the debugging symbols to reduce the size. Again using your favourite text editor.
    Code:
    cd ../unionfs-snapshot-YYYYMMDD
    vi Makefile
    Find and edit the lines as shown below.
    Code:
    # this should point to where your kernel headers are
    KVERS=2.6.16.16-pk1                                   # Change this to your new kernel version
    MODDIR= /lib/modules/$(KVERS)
    LINUXSRC = /lib/modules/$(KVERS)/build
    TOPINC   = -I${LINUXSRC}/include
    # This is where the make install target will put stuff
    PREFIX   = /usr/local
    MANDIR   = ${PREFIX}/man
    MODPREFIX=
    VERSION=20060503-0408
    TAROPTS = czvf
    COMPEXT = .gz
    UNIONFS_DEBUG_CFLAG =                                # Remove the -g if present to remove debuggin symbols
    Save and close this file. To aid the compiling process we will also build the fistdev.mk for some additional options.
    Code:
    vi fistdev.mk
    Add the contents shown below to the fistdev.mk file.
    Code:
    LINUXSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.X.YY
    TOPINC=-I$(LINUXSRC)/include
    MODDIR=/lib/modules/2.X.YY/build
    EXTRACFLAGS=-DUNIONFS_NDEBUG
    Save, close and start the compilation process.
    Code:
    make unionfs2.6
    make install
    There has been a number of issues with unionfs sources and the 2.6.14.xx and 2.6.15.xx kernels (haven't experienced it in the 2.6.16.xx as yet) with the following error:
    unionfs: Unknown symbol __rcuref_hash
    FATAL: Error inserting unionfs (/lib/modules/2.6.15/kernel/fs/unionfs/unionfs.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    Essentially unionfs source hasn't kept up with the kernel sources and is using a lower level function that is being phased out. A patch, which essentially makes this "Unknown Symbol" available is shown below.
    Code:
    --- linux-2.6.14.3/kernel/rcupdate.c	2005-11-29 14:53:02.000000000 +1100
    +++ linux-2.6.14.x-unionfs/kernel/rcupdate.c	2005-11-29 14:51:39.000000000 +1100
    @@ -84,6 +84,8 @@
     spinlock_t __rcuref_hash[RCUREF_HASH_SIZE] = {
     	[0 ... (RCUREF_HASH_SIZE-1)] = SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED
     };
    +
    +EXPORT_SYMBOL(__rcuref_hash);
     #endif

/**
    If you find that your module is too big, you may be able to scrape a few KB's off by stripping the module.

With that done you should now have a unionfs.ko to be used at a later stage.

At this point, it's your choice to leave the kernel source intact when building the compressed image, but be warned that it can take a large chunk of space. Now we've done the compressed filesystem, time to update the miniroot image.

Miniroot image (minirt.gz)
    Just before we update the minirt.gz image, we need to update the linux kernel in the master directory. Just copy the new vmlinuz-2.X.YY to the master/boot/isolinux directory

If you don't need SCSI support or you don't need to boot from a SCSI CD-ROM, you can safely remove all the scsi modules. If you do so, be sure to comment out the 'SCSIMODULES=' section of linuxrc and replace it with SCSIMODULES="" so the script will skip SCSI autoprobing.

Now what I do is remove the current cloop.o and unionfs.o module from the modules directory. Then copy the newly compiled cloop.ko and unionfs.ko to the modules directory. Lastly a simply modification to linuxrc will see us load the newly named cloop.ko and unionfs.ko modules. Search for any reference to cloop.o (or cloop.*o) and change to cloop.ko. and similarly, search for unionfs.o (or unionfs.*o) and change to unionfs.ko.

That is it

Closing:
    This HOWTO is in its infancy and will continue to evolve from any constructive feedback received. For now ... use it, abuse it, and let me know what you think.

Member registered user
    This is great, nice and clear even if it's brand new. Many thanks. The only part that is not crystal clear to me is the part about compiling cloop and unionfs. If you could add links to where to get the source, and the step by step instructions to compile each, then I think the whole thing would be very clear. I recently tried to compile the cloop source from inside a remaster using kernel 2.6.12, and I saw some error messages, even though I carefully followed the README in the cloop source. So for me seeing the details would be nice.

Also, is it necessary to link /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 to /usr/src/linux/include/asm ? I don't remember now.

Thanks again!

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by mcreel
    This is great, nice and clear even if it's brand new. Many thanks. The only part that is not crystal clear to me is the part about compiling cloop and unionfs. If you could add links to where to get the source, and the step by step instructions to compile each, then I think the whole thing would be very clear. I recently tried to compile the cloop source from inside a remaster using kernel 2.6.12, and I saw some error messages, even though I carefully followed the README in the cloop source. So for me seeing the details would be nice.

Also, is it necessary to link /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 to /usr/src/linux/include/asm ? I don't remember now.

Thanks again!
    As requested .. Updated with an elaboration on the compilation of cloop and unionfs

Thanks for this nice howto, but I have an additional challenge ...

My challenge: I cannot boot Knoppix > 3.4 in the first place, because, for example, Knoppix 3.8, Knoppix 3.9, Knoppix 4.0.1 and so on have a kernal that Oopses instantly because of my hardware-configuration in the first place. This is also true for ubuntu 5.04 boot-cds etc. The debian 3.1 Sarge loadmod also oopses (but the install continues, if needed).

The culprit is the Highpoint 372 IDE controller. Something is very flawed in this kernal code. No matter which kernal boot option I try, or if I try kernal 2.4 versus 2.6, etc. - it oopses.

Thus, I have to replace the Knoppix kernal from an environment _outside_ of Knoppix.

I could, for example, install SuSe 9.1 , or boot Knoppix 3.4 , ... and then what? How do I use this for replacing the Kernal out of the ISO image? Is there a tool available?
    Or could I be so renitent as to simply use Total Commander's ISO file support to replace a few files inside the ISO and get my own compiled Kernal booting?

(Uh, I just tried this on the 4.4 gig Debian 3.1 Sarge ISO: I can't spot the kernal file. Uh-oh.)

Any help very appreciated.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ATT
    Thanks for this nice howto, but I have an additional challenge ...

My challenge: I cannot boot Knoppix > 3.4 in the first place, because, for example, Knoppix 3.8, Knoppix 3.9, Knoppix 4.0.1 and so on have a kernal that Oopses instantly because of my hardware-configuration in the first place. This is also true for ubuntu 5.04 boot-cds etc. The debian 3.1 Sarge loadmod also oopses (but the install continues, if needed).

The culprit is the Highpoint 372 IDE controller. Something is very flawed in this kernal code. No matter which kernal boot option I try, or if I try kernal 2.4 versus 2.6, etc. - it oopses.

Thus, I have to replace the Knoppix kernal from an environment _outside_ of Knoppix.

I could, for example, install SuSe 9.1 , or boot Knoppix 3.4 , ... and then what? How do I use this for replacing the Kernal out of the ISO image? Is there a tool available?
    Or could I be so renitent as to simply use Total Commander's ISO file support to replace a few files inside the ISO and get my own compiled Kernal booting?

(Uh, I just tried this on the 4.4 gig Debian 3.1 Sarge ISO: I can't spot the kernal file. Uh-oh.)

Any help very appreciated.
    That's pretty crappy, but I don't believe all is lost.

You can remaster knoppix anywhere in any environment on any distribution you want, it's just easier to do from Knoppix.

1. You just need to download the cloop source code and compile the module for you remastering environment.

2. Mount the knoppix cd in your remastering environment (eg. /cdrom)

3. You should be able to see:
    - miniroot.gz (eg. /cdrom/boot/isolinux/miniroot.gz)
    - linux (eg. /cdrom/boot/isolinux/linux)
    - KNOPPIX (eg. /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX)

4. The large KNOPPIX file is the compressed filesytem and can be mounted with the aid of your newly compiled cloop module by:
    Code:
    sh /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mount/point
    You can now access the filesystem as if you were booting live from the CD. This of course puts you in the position to setup your source/ and master/ directories to begin remastering and customise that kernel.

Let me know how you go.

Member registered user
    Well, I tried this out using a 2.6.9 kernel (I want to use bproc, and the last patch is for that kernel). I couldn't get cloop to compile (neither 2.01 nor 2.02). There were errors regarding endian-ness, see below. The howto is nice and clear, though. I wish cloop weren't so touchy. Maybe squashfs would work?

root@not a tty[src]# cd cloop-2.01
    root@not a tty[cloop-2.01]# make
    ( make -C advancecomp-1.9_create_compressed_fs advfs )
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/cloop-2.01/advancecomp-1.9
    _create_compressed_fs'
    g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -g -O3 -DUSE_ERROR_SILENT -
    DUSE_COMPRESS -c -o advfs.o `test -f 'advfs.cc' || echo './'`adv
    fs.cc
    In file included from /usr/include/asm/byteorder.h:57,
    from advfs.cc:33:
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:43: error: syntax e
    rror before `('
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:47: error: syntax e
    rror before `*'
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h: In function `__u64

__le64_to_cpup(...)':
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:49: error: `p' unde
    clared (first
    use this function)
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:49: error: (Each un
    declared
    identifier is reported only once for each function it appears
    in.)
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h: At global scope:
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:51: error: syntax e
    rror before `('
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:55: error: syntax e
    rror before `*'
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:59: error: syntax e
    rror before `('
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:63: error: syntax e
    rror before `*'
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:67: error: syntax e
    rror before `('
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:71: error: syntax e
    rror before `*'
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:75: error: syntax e
    rror before `('
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:79: error: syntax e
    rror before `*'
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:83: error: syntax e
    rror before `('
    token
    /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:87: error: syntax e
    rror before `*'
    token
    advfs.cc: In function `int main(int, char**)':
    advfs.cc:244: error: `__be64' undeclared (first use this functio
    n)
    advfs.cc:244: error: syntax error before `{' token
    advfs.cc:244: error: `__x' undeclared (first use this function)
    advfs.cc:244: error: syntax error before `)' token
    advfs.cc:245: error: `tmp' undeclared (first use this function)
    advfs.cc: At global scope:
    advfs.cc:250: error: syntax error before `for'
    advfs.cc:250: error: syntax error before `&&' token
    advfs.cc:250: error: syntax error before `++' token
    advfs.cc:255: error: `compressed_blocks' was not declared in thi
    s scope
    advfs.cc:255: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `free_cb_lis
    t' with no type
    advfs.cc:255: error: `int free_cb_list' redeclared as different
    kind of symbol
    advfs.cc:55: error: previous declaration of `void free_cb_list(c
    b_list*)'
    advfs.cc:256: error: syntax error before `return'
    advfs.cc:258: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `cbp' with n
    o type
    advfs.cc:258: error: base operand of `->' is not a pointer
    advfs.cc:259: error: `compressed_blocks' was not declared in thi
    s scope
    advfs.cc:259: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `free' with
    no type
    advfs.cc:259: error: `int free' redeclared as different kind of
    symbol
    /usr/include/stdlib.h:597: error: previous declaration of `void
    free(void*)'
    advfs.cc:259: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `compressed_
    blocks' with no
    type
    advfs.cc:260: error: syntax error before `}' token
    advfs.cc:261: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `fprintf' wi th no type
    advfs.cc:261: error: `int fprintf' redeclared as different kind of symbol
    /usr/include/stdio.h:322: error: previous declaration of `int fp rintf(FILE*,
    const char*, ...)'
    advfs.cc:261: error: initializer list being treated as compound expression
    advfs.cc:261: error: invalid conversion from `const char*' to `i nt'
    advfs.cc:262: error: syntax error before `return'
    make[1]: *** [advfs.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cloop-2.01/advancecomp-1.9_ create_compressed_fs'
    make: *** [advancecomp-1.9_create_compressed_fs/advfs] Error 2
    root@not a tty[cloop-2.01]#

Member registered user
    I too have run into some grief with cloop compilations, however, it would appear from that error log that cloop is not the problem but rather the little_endian header file. Two things I would double check is:
    1. Does the bproc patch touch the erroneous header file, and
    2. Does bproc patch cleanly.

That being said I switched to sqaushfs for my remaster/distro and am loving every minute of it. I like the easy one liner to create the compressed file system and more I like the extra 5-10% compression i'm getting.

Member registered user
    Yes, the bproc patch applied with no problems. I'll check if it did anything to the header file. But maybe I'll try remastering starting with kanotix, since it uses squashfs, if I recall correctly. Thanks, M,

This is great. Many Thanks, just what I was looking for

One suggestion. Should this not enter the Knoppix Wiki, or otherwise have a permanent home. It's difficult for people to find a how-to inside a forum.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by nibl
    This is great. Many Thanks, just what I was looking for

One suggestion. Should this not enter the Knoppix Wiki, or otherwise have a permanent home. It's difficult for people to find a how-to inside a forum.
    If you have tried it and it works, then it certainly should be added to the wiki for the very reason you state. Why don't you do that? The wiki is a community thing; users like yourself are encouraged to make such additions and changes to the wiki.

At the moment there seem to be only a few of us contributing to the wiki. I, for one, am not going to add this to the wiki because I haven't done it myself and so don't really know the accuracy of it. The wiki needs people to share their experiences. Don't say "someone should put this in the wiki", say "I'll put this in the wiki".

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast