Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klik web site problem

Junior Member registered user
    Dave,
    I forgot about Kong,as I use it not often.Now what do you mean you had a bad experience with Firefox,virus ,trojan,keylogger?Now if you get klik working and like Opera,you run the opera.cmg,that way there is nothing on your hard drive,only memory.When you close it any cold you caught is gone.Let us know how you come out,Dennis

Well, maybe not :^>.

I made /home/dave/.mozilla and (as root) directories 1-7 in /tmp/app, and did wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh in console. I got a message saying *something* "if you don't have firefox you can ignore this message" *something else*. The message box didn't show the "somethings". But I don't have firefox so I ignored it. Then with konqueror I downloaded the basket file from KLIK. I got an error message "error in running basket".

/home/dave/.local/share/mime/packages/klik is still not present, nor is /home/dave/klik-cmg-install-root, and 'find' doesn't locate any cmg files except /home/dave/.local/share/mime/application/x-extension-cmg.xml.

Is there NO WAY out of using firefox??? Or can I fix it using another browser?

Xandros 3.0.1.

In faith, Dave
    dave@christos.cjb.net
    Viva Texas

To dwombat

To dwombat: My Bad Experience with firefox:

1) it installs itself without permission as default everything (a practice I'd expect from another operating system's browser, the one located in Redmond, Washington, USA). This ticks me off, but I CAN go through the trouble to uninstall it as default everything so this isn't fatal.

2) Then I installed firefox 1.0.4 and its adblocker plugin in Xandros 3.0.1. Then I decided I liked privoxy better so tried to uninstall the plugin using xandros networks. Crash!!!!! Won't re-boot xandros any more; won't boot anything else either. Somehow it wiped every partition on both hard drives including my data and backup partitions, everything which was mounted in xandros (and xandros mounts everything it finds). Reinstalled xandros, fc3, mandriva, mepis, ubuntu, and debian, and then rebuilt my data files and backed them up to CD. Thought I was safe using a separate partition for backup, but no.

That WAS fatal! 3 days reinstalling and two weeks rebuilding data... most unhappy. Maybe a fluke, but I really really really really really don't want firefox on my system again if I can possibly help it. Burn me once, OK; burn me twice and I feel stupid ^_^.

So I'm really really really really really hoping there's a way to do KLIK without firefox.

In faith, Dave
    dave@christos.cjb.net
    Viva Texas

Senior Member registered user
    I am really sorry about that happened to you, but it is almost certain that it is not klik-related. In fact, one main design goals of klik was that situations like yours, where uninstalling an application breaks the system, cannot occur.

As for klik, you can also use Konqueror (my default browser), Opera, or even the command line.

Greetings,
    probono

dpeirce,
    Look at this,
    $HOME/.klik [I have]
    rm ${KDEHOME}/share/services/klik.protocol [not there]
    rm ${KDEHOME}/share/applnk/klik/.directory [not there]
    rm ${KDEHOME}/share/applnk/klik/klik.desktop[not there]
    rm ${KDEHOME}/share/mimelnk/all/cmg.desktop[not there]
    rm ${KDEHOME}/share/applnk/.hidden/AppRun.desktop [not there]
    rm $HOME/.zAppRun [I have]
    rm "$HOME/klik-cmg-install-root"[I have]
    rm $HOME/.local/share/applications/.zAppRun.desktop[not there]
    rm $HOME/.local/share/mime/packages/Override.xml[not there]
    rm -r ${KDEHOME}/share/applnk/klik[not there]
    rm -r /tmp/app[not there]
    rm $HOME/.local/share/applications/klik [not there]
    rm $HOME/.local/share/mime/packages/klik[not there]
    rm $HOME/.local/share/applications $HOME/.gnome2/vfolders/applications/klik[not there]
    Dave all the" not there" happen after you get a .cmg working.The "I have" is the basic files for klik.You should be able to take Kong and download the .sh and you should have the basic"I have" files.The"klik-cmg-install-root"you have to open a terminal in home and become root type klik-cmg-install-root and hit enter,this should put this in your /etc/fstab
    /mnt/app/1/image /mnt/app/1 cramfs,iso9660 user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
    /mnt/app/2/image /mnt/app/2 cramfs,iso9660 user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
    /mnt/app/3/image /mnt/app/3 cramfs,iso9660 user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
    /mnt/app/4/image /mnt/app/4 cramfs,iso9660 user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
    /mnt/app/5/image /mnt/app/5 cramfs,iso9660 user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
    /mnt/app/6/image /mnt/app/6 cramfs,iso9660 user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
    /mnt/app/7/image /mnt/app/7 cramfs,iso9660 user,noauto,ro,loop,exec 0 0
    # Dynamic entries,if you have this in the fstab,make sure these entries are above it ,or thses entries will not stay in fstab after reboot.
    Dave,now do me a favor,and start from scratch and delete all the files and folders you have done and start with kong and do the .sh thing.Than you can klik Firefox and never worry about it doing anything to your system.Also if you type "klik" in the search in the forums ,you will find a lot of stuff that explains how to install klik,in case I made any mistakes in my post,in other words get a second opinion,Dennis

KLIK and Xandros

Whewww!!! You did some work for me there, and I appreciate it. I copied it off just in case. BUT... I've been running Knotix 2005-03 for about a week now and am starting to get acquainted with it. Xandros is just so tender and so likely to break if I install the wrong app (which I do frequently :^>) that I'm most likely going to shift to Kanotix anyway. Kanotix does look to be a less-easily broken system than Xandros. Since I'm probably going to ditch Xandros it wouldn't be worth the effort to install KLIK there.

Wish I had made that decision just a little earlier!

In faith, Dave
    dave@christos.cjb.net
    Viva Texas

Update

Kanotix is looking better and better. Initially I was stuck with 1024x786 screen resolution, but fix-res.sh fixed me up and now I'm enjoying 1920x1440. Looks like I might not miss Xandros at all.

Wombat, I hope you worked out your problem with Opera and Codeweavers. Me, I like Opera better than Firefox and MUCH better than Internet Explorer. I also like Dillo.

In faith, Dave
    dave@christos.cjb.net
    Viva Texas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12