Thread: swapping mobo keep HD

swapping mobo keep HD

i have had knoppix running now for some time, but im still quite the newbie when it comes to doing ANYthing semi complex. I had a mobo go down and i want to use my current HD install on my backup system. what do i need to do to reconfig this? Is it all manually configing the whole thing, or is there a way to just auto-reconfig Hardware detection?
    Any and all help appreciated.
    I love being MS-free (3 months now...i dont know what took me so long!)
    keep up the good work!!!

Senior Member registered user
    hmm, most things should work OK, try and see what needs fixing, if it is just a new mobo it might be nothing needing reconfigurineg. my guess is just a few minor things. if you have disk/CD/DVD.. on same chanel and same conector on cable it should work fairly well straight away, atleast with original kernel.
    If you have mande a new one yourself you might need to roll a new one...

yeah unfortunately it isnt the same hardware and m/b. i guess i need to really learn what these damn commands are. thats the hard part. I keep catching myself using dos commands and filenames and slapping myself.
    help a brother out...what files do i need to look in and what commands used to edit them? I have tried a few different ways but all suggestions lead to more learning so the more the merrier...or something like that...
    I dont need a total walkthru just a tip or two.
    Thanks for the replies.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by boomboom
    yeah unfortunately it isnt the same hardware and m/b. i guess i need to really learn what these damn commands are. thats the hard part. I keep catching myself using dos commands and filenames and slapping myself.
    help a brother out...what files do i need to look in and what commands used to edit them? I have tried a few different ways but all suggestions lead to more learning so the more the merrier...or something like that...
    I dont need a total walkthru just a tip or two.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Can you give us a bit more information?

Here's what's in my mind: on the old system you installed Knoppix 3.8.2 to the harddrive doing a poor-mans install. On that system you would normally boot with the CD and specify fromhd=/dev/hda1. Now, you have taken the primary master harddrive out of the old machine and installed it as a primary master harddrive on the backup machine. You've turned the backup machine on. You still boot with the CD and you still use fromhd=/dev/hda1. After a few moments, you see KDE on your desktop, except the icons look a little different.

I have no doubt that what is in my mind is not even close to what you are experiencing. So, how does the image in my mind differ from what's actually happening?

Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

got it working. the hd was reporting errors in conjunction with a partially faulty (intermittent memory) video card.
    I was getting partially booted to the point it would tell me there were errors and then the video would usually crash right about then. I a little confusing you see...
    replaced the card and learned to run fsck to fix the filesys
    love it!

i just need to stop leaving the house and stay home and learn linux
    thanks for all the support. This is amazing!